Publish or schedule videos to a YouTube channel from your Hootsuite dashboard. After a video has been published to YouTube, you can then share it to your other social networks. Team members require at least Editor social network permissions for a YouTube channel to publish videos to it.
Note that publishing to YouTube is a unique workflow that's completed from the legacy composer and not the new composer.
Video file requirements:
- File type: mp4, m4v
- Max file size: 1 GB
- Max video length: 15 minutes (verified accounts can upload up to 11-hour long videos) Learn more and verify your account here
- Aspect ratio: 16:9; if your file is not 16:9, YouTube automatically adds black bars to the sides or top and bottom of your video so it displays correctly without cropping or stretching.
Formatting tags can also be used to change the appearance and format of your video when it is published. More details here
To publish or schedule a video to YouTube
Make sure your channel is added as a social network before you begin.
- Click the green arrow next to New Post, and then select Open Legacy Composer.
- Click Attach media . You don't need to select a social network when publishing to YouTube. In fact, YouTube channels don't appear in the social network picker.
- Click the YouTube Video tab.
- Click choose a file to upload to YouTube, select the video file and then click Open, or drag-and-drop a video file from your desktop into the dotted box.
- Select the YouTube channel you want to publish to from the drop-down in the top-left corner.
- Enter a title for your video in the Title field.
- Optional: Enter a video description, tags, or select a category from the drop-down menu.
Tags increase discoverability of your video. They are not displayed publicly.
- Optional: Verified channels can select a thumbnail preview under the video thumbnail by clicking the left or right arrows .
- Select a privacy setting from the Privacy drop-down menu.
- Optional: Schedule Unlisted or Private videos to go public at a later date; click the Schedule to go Public toggle, select a date and time, and then click Set.
- Click Done/Publish Now/Schedule in the top-right corner.
When your video has been successfully published or scheduled, a pop-up appears containing an embed code you can insert into a website, and the YouTube video URL, which can be shared to other social media profiles.
- Click Share via Hootsuite to insert the video URL into the compose message box so you can share it to your other social networks as usual.
A video cannot be uploaded to the same YouTube channel more than once. YouTube removes duplicate videos.
All published and scheduled videos will appear immediately in your My Videos stream. Note that thumbnails will only be visible in-stream for Unlisted and Public videos. Private videos can be viewed from your dashboard streams if you are also signed in to the YouTube channel natively.
Looking for YouTube Analytics? Monitor and track engagement on your videos and channels with the Channelview apps available in the App Directory. Note that it may take up to a few days for analytics to populate, the same as in YouTube.com natively.