You can publish or schedule videos to a YouTube channel from your Hootsuite dashboard. After you've published to YouTube, you can share your video to your other social networks. Team members who publish videos to your YouTube channel must have at least Editor social network permissions for that channel.
Note that publishing to YouTube in Hootsuite is a unique workflow that's completed from the legacy composer and not the new composer.
Video file requirements:
- File type: mp4, m4v
- Max file size: 1 GB
- Max video length: 15 minutes (verified accounts can upload up to 11-hour long videos)
To learn more, see Upload videos longer than 15 minutes in the YouTube Help Center.
- Aspect ratio: 16:9; if your file is not 16:9, YouTube automatically adds black bars to the sides or top and bottom of your video so it displays correctly without cropping or stretching.
You can also use formatting tags to change the appearance and format of your video when it is published. For more information, see Add tags to videos in the YouTube Help Center.
To publish or schedule a video to YouTube
Tip: Make sure your channel is added as a social network before you begin. For more information, see Add a social network.
- Select the green arrow next to New Post, and then select Open Legacy Composer.
- Select Attach media . You don't need to select a social network when publishing to YouTube. In fact, YouTube channels don't appear in the social network picker.
- On the YouTube Video tab, select choose a file to upload to YouTube, select the video file, and then select Open, or drag a video file from your desktop into the dotted box.
- Select the YouTube channel you want to publish to from the drop-down in the top left.
- Enter a title for your video in the Title field.
- Optional: Enter a video description or tags, or select a category from the drop-down menu.
Tags increase discoverability of your video. They are not displayed publicly.
- Optional: Verified channels can select a thumbnail preview under the video thumbnail by using the left and right arrows .
- Select a privacy setting from the Privacy drop-down menu.
- Optional: Schedule Unlisted or Private videos to go public at a later date; select the Schedule to go Public toggle, select a date and time, and then select Set.
- Select Done/Publish Now/Schedule in the top right.
When your video has been successfully published or scheduled, a pop-up appears containing an embed code that you can insert into a website, and the YouTube video URL, which can be shared to other social media profiles.
- Select Share via Hootsuite to insert the video URL into the compose message box so you can share it to your other social networks as usual.
Tip: A video cannot be uploaded to the same YouTube channel more than once. YouTube removes duplicate videos.
All published and scheduled videos appear immediately in your My Videos stream. Note that thumbnails are visible in-stream only for Unlisted and Public videos. You can view Private videos from your dashboard streams if you are also signed in to the YouTube channel.
Looking for YouTube Analytics? Monitor and track engagement on your videos and channels with the Channelview apps available in the App Directory. Note that it may take up to a few days for analytics to populate, the same as in YouTube.com.