Publish a video to YouTube
You can publish or schedule videos to YouTube channels from Hootsuite. After you've published to YouTube, you can share your videos to your other social accounts too. Note that team members who publish videos to a YouTube channel must have at least Editor permissions for that channel.
Video file requirements
- File type: mp4, m4v.
- Max file size: 1 GB.
- Max video length: 15 minutes (verified accounts can upload up to 11-hour long videos). To learn more, see Upload videos longer than 15 minutes.
- Aspect ratio: 16:9. If your file is not 16:9, YouTube automatically adds black bars to the sides or top and bottom of your video so it displays correctly without cropping or stretching.
You can also use formatting tags to change the appearance and format of your video when it is published. For more information, see Add tags to videos.
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already added your YouTube channel to Hootsuite. See Add a YouTube channel.
Publish or schedule a video to YouTube
Note: Publishing to YouTube from Hootsuite is a unique workflow that's completed from the Legacy composer and not the new Composer.
- Go to Create new post, and then select Legacy composer.
- Select Attach media . You don't need to select a social account when publishing to YouTube. In fact, YouTube channels don't appear in the social network picker.
- Select YouTube Video, and then drag and drop a video from your computer into the video area or select the choose a file to upload to YouTube link.
- Select the YouTube channel you want to publish to from the drop-down on the top left.
- Enter a title for your video in the Title field.
- Optional: Enter a video description, add tags, or select a category from the drop-down menu.
Although tags are not displayed publicly, they can help make your video easier to discover.
- Optional: Verified channels can select a video thumbnail under the video thumbnail by using the left and right arrows .
- Select a privacy setting from the Privacy drop-down menu.
- Optional: You can schedule Unlisted or Private videos to go public at a later date and time. Select the Schedule to go Public toggle, select a date and time, and then select Done.
- Select Done/Publish Now/Schedule on the top right, and then select Continue.
When your video is successfully published or scheduled, a pop-up is displayed containing an embed code that you can insert into a website, and the YouTube video URL that you can share to other social media profiles.
- Select Share via Hootsuite to create a new post and automatically insert the video URL into the text area. See Create and publish posts to learn more.
Note: A video cannot be uploaded to the same YouTube channel more than once. YouTube removes duplicate videos.
All published and scheduled videos appear immediately in your My Videos stream. See Add a YouTube stream to learn how to create a My Videos stream. Note that thumbnails are visible in-stream only for Unlisted and Public videos. You can view Private videos from your dashboard streams if you are also signed in to the YouTube channel.
Note: Looking for YouTube Analytics? You can monitor and track engagement on your videos and channels with the Channelview apps available in the App Directory. Note that it may take up to a few days for analytics to populate, the same as in YouTube.com.