Streams display the content from your social networks in your Hootsuite dashboard. The Streams section of the dashboard is where you can monitor your networks and engage in social conversations.
In this article:
You can organize streams under tabs, much like tabs on filing folders. Each Hootsuite account can add up to 20 tabs, and each tab holds 10 streams. Learn more about setting up your tabs
Before you can add a stream to your dashboard, you need to connect the social profile you want to monitor. Add social networks to your dashboard first, and then add corresponding streams for each one. Team members please see below.
Add streams to a new tab
Each new tab in the Hootsuite dashboard contains Stream Builders, which recommend and walk you through creating streams specific to engagement goals:
- Engage With Your Audience (available for Twitter and Facebook Pages)
- Expand Your Audience (available for Twitter)
These are great for getting an idea of the streams you can add, and how to use them to effectively monitor your social networks.
When you're ready to add streams on your own, for any of your social networks, try the Browse All Streams Builder.
Add streams to an existing tab
Add a stream to an existing tab at any time (so long as it contains fewer than 10 streams). The types of streams available to create depends on the social network. For example, for Facebook Pages you can add an Unpublished or Activity stream for monitoring comments on your Facebook ads and dark posts.
Click the timestamp on a post in stream to open and view it in the native social network.
To add a stream
- Select Streams from the launch menu.
- Click the tab that will host the stream.
- Click Add Stream.
- Select a social network from the list on the left.
- Click to select a profile for the stream.
- Click on a stream type to add it to the dashboard.
You can also add streams with the Add a stream tool, located in the bottom-right corner of every tab . Click to expand the tool, select a social profile from the drop-down, and then click one of the stream types to add it to your tab.
Reorder the streams within a tab with drag-and-drop. Click and hold the stream title, drag the stream to a new position, and then release the mouse.
Other stream types you can add:
Are you a team member of an organization?
If you’ve been invited to an organization, you should already have access to the organization’s social networks without having to add them to your own dashboard. Click the social profile picker (Send to…) in the top-left corner of your dashboard to see the social networks you have access to. You can go right ahead and add streams for these social networks with the steps above.
Viewing content in your streams
Depending on what capabilities are available from the social network through their API, each stream will display different content and have different engagement buttons. Click the timestamp on any post to open it in the social network natively. The blue dots next to a post's timestamp indicate new or unread posts since your last dashboard or stream refresh.
Stream view settings and refresh intervals
Your stream view can be adjusted with the Compact, Standard or Comfortable view settings in the top-right corner of your streams. These change how many streams are visible in your dashboard at one time without scrolling left or right. Each tab can be tailored differently.
In the top-left corner of your streams, click the arrow to the left of the Add Stream button to change the refresh interval. This is how often Hootsuite will search for new content to display in your dashboard (as it becomes available). Individual tabs can also be refreshed manually regardless of the auto refresh interval with the Refresh Tab button . When a tab is refreshed manually, every stream in that tab gets updated.
- You can add streams for WordPress.com blogs. For WordPress.org accounts, install the WordPress.org app from the app directory.
- When a Twitter Mentions stream is first added, a maximum of 800 tweets will display.
- The Twitter New Followers stream displays up to 20 new followers on initial creation, and will refresh (pending additional new followers) based on your dashboard refresh settings.
- The Twitter Mentions stream can make a maximum of 75 requests per 15-minute interval per social profile. Each time a stream is refreshed in one user’s account, it counts toward the refresh limit for all Hootsuite users with access to that social profile.