Article updated: July 14, 2021
Add an Instagram account
Add an Instagram account to Hootsuite to manage publishing to it along with your other social content.
Team, Business, and Enterprise plan members - To add social accounts to Hootsuite organizations, you must be a super admin, admin, or have custom "Add Social Networks" permissions for your Hootsuite organization. For more information, see Manage social accounts in a team or organization.
Before you begin
Instagram offers three profile types: personal, business, and creator. For full access to the Instagram features available in Hootsuite, you need to add a business profile. See Overview of Instagram profiles for more information about each type.
Important: Hootsuite does not officially support creator profiles. Hootsuite labels creator profiles as business profiles, but due to limitations from Instagram, they do not have access to direct publishing. If you try to publish directly to Instagram with a creator profile, it will disconnect from Hootsuite.
To enable full Instagram functionality in Hootsuite, make sure you have the following:
- An Instagram business profile connected to a Facebook Page.
- If you still have a personal profile, see Convert an Instagram personal profile to a business profile.
- If you already have a business profile, see Connect an Instagram account to a Facebook Page.
- An Admin or Editor Page role for the connected Facebook Page if it's a Classic Page type or Facebook access with full control or partial control on a New Page type. If the Page is an asset in Facebook Business Manager, you also need management access to the Page in the Business Manager account.
Add an Instagram business account
- In a separate browser tab or window, log out of Instagram and Facebook.
- In Hootsuite, go to My profile, and then select Manage accounts and teams.
- Select + Private account.
Team, Business, and Enterprise plan members in a Hootsuite organization - Select Manage beside the org name, and then select Add a social network.
- Select Instagram.
- Select Instagram business.
If you have a personal profile, select Instagram personal, enter the Instagram account credentials (username and password), select Log in, and then select Exit with limited access.
- Select Log in to Facebook.
- Enter your Facebook account credentials, and then select Log in.
Hootsuite displays a list of Facebook Pages you have access to, which ones you have an Admin or Editor role for, and which ones have connected Instagram business profiles.
- Select Add beside the Instagram business profiles you want to add to Hootsuite, and then select Done.
If you see “There is no Instagram business profile linked to this Facebook Page,” “Your Page role must be admin or editor to add this Instagram profile,” or your Page does not appear at all, see Troubleshoot issues adding an Instagram business profile.
Note: If you have access to Hootsuite Impact, you'll need to add your social accounts to Impact too. See Connect an organic or paid social account to Impact.
Verify your Instagram account setup
When you add a business profile to Hootsuite with full functionality, Hootsuite displays your Instagram profile picture. Instagram accounts added by selecting Instagram personal (step 5 above) display the default black Instagram logo as their profile picture and have limited functionality.