Article updated: August 05, 2022
Create an Instagram reel
You can create and publish reels directly to Instagram from Composer. Reels are a short video content form that give you an opportunity to show your brand's personality and engage your followers in new ways. Your reels can also show up in the Explore and Reels pages on Instagram, so they're a great way to get discovered by new audiences too. Publish your reels right away, or schedule them in advance for a specific day and time.
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already added an Instagram account to Hootsuite. To publish reels, you need to have an Instagram Business profile connected to a Facebook Page. For more details, see Add an Instagram account.
Create your reel
Video editing is not supported in Hootsuite, so prepare your video file using another video editing program to trim, or add filters, stickers, or music. It’s also not currently possible to select a cover thumbnail or access Instagram music in Hootsuite.
- Go to Composer .
- Under Publish to, select one or more Instagram Business profiles.
- Above the Content area, select Reel as your Instagram content type. Reel is not available if you have any Personal Instagram profiles selected.
- In the Content area, enter your caption, including emoji and up to 30 hashtags (for hashtag best practices, see our Instagram hashtag guide). The character limit for Instagram captions is 2,200.
To mention someone, enter @ followed by their exact username. Mentions remain in plain text until the reel is published. To learn more, see Mention a user or Page.
- Drag your video file from your computer into the Media area or choose Select files to upload. You can upload one video per reel. Maximum file size is 100 MB, and reels must be between 5 and 90 seconds long. Your reels must have an aspect ratio of 9:16 to be shown on the Reels page in Instagram. See more Instagram video requirements.
- Business and Enterprise plans (optional): Select Add next to Tags to add tags to your reel that you can use to analyze its performance in Hootsuite Analytics. To find out more, see Add tags to track your outbound posts.Tip: Reels aren't distinctly identified in Analytics, so we recommend adding a tag to make it easy to find them later.
- Business and Enterprise plans (optional): Select your organization, and then select Campaign to associate your reel with a current or future campaign. To find out more, see Create and manage content campaigns.
- Select Post now or Schedule for later. Reels must use direct publishing. Reels are shared to the Reels tab in Instagram and to your own Instagram feed.Note: Instagram limits Business profiles to 25 posts or reels in any rolling 24-hour period with direct publishing from Hootsuite.
In Planner, you’ll find your reels identified by the reel icon . Select a reel in Planner to view its details and make any edits as necessary.
The Hootsuite mobile app does not currently support publishing or editing reels. However, you can see and delete scheduled reels in the mobile Publisher.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help