Article updated: July 25, 2022
(S)FTP is an acronym for Secure File Transfer Protocol. It allows you to transfer files to and from a server in a safe and secure way. You need this for:
- Audit logs
- Scheduled exports
To get SFTP access
- Generate an FTP user.
- Download and install an (S)FTP client.
- Connect to the Sparkcentral environment.
- Download the necessary files.
Generating an FTP User
- In Sparkcentral, go to Settings.
- Select Integration & APIs and expand FTP Users.
- Select Generate FTP User.
- A window appears with two fields: Username and Password. Select Copy to copy the contents of the fields. Vire password by selecting the eye icon. Make sure that you save the password, as it is not available after closing the window.
Downloading and installing an (S)FTP client
In this guide we use FileZilla as our (S)FTP client. It can be downloaded from https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client.
After selecting the Download button, a pop-up appears. In this window, select the left download button, and the client starts downloading.
- Run the downloaded application and go through the installation process.
Connecting to the Sparkcentral Environment
Open your (S)FTP client (FileZilla in our case). You need to enter text in a few fields.
- In the Host field, enter the appropriate URL.
- US client: sftp://exports.sparkcentral.com
- EU client: sftp://exports-eu.sparkcentral.com
- In the Username and Password fields, enter the credentials you generated in your Sparkcentral environment.
- In the Port field, enter 22.
- Select Quickconnect.
- A pop-up window with a notification about a host key may appear. You can proceed by selecting OK.
After a few moments, the connection will be established.
Accessing files from your Sparkcentral Environment
Once connected, you can browse the directory of your Sparkcentral environment.
Using the window to the bottom right (the window with the red border in the following screenshot), you can navigate into different folders to search for an audit log of a specific day.
The structure of this directory is as shown in the following image.
- In order to download a specific log, you need to select a download folder first. To do this, use the window to the upper left to select the download folder. (As shown in the following image).
We are now ready to download any files into our download folder. To do this, go to the window to the lower right. Right-click the Audit Log file you want and select Download.
- The file can now be opened by navigating to your download folder using your file explorer (Windows Explorer, Finder, …).
- The logs can be viewed by opening them with any application that supports the CSV format (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, …).
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help