Article updated: December 06, 2022
Shorten and track links in Amplify
Using links in your Amplify posts is a great way to drive traffic to your website, blog, or landing page. Content Admins, Publishers, and Contributors can shorten links for a tidier look, and include tracking parameters to see how much web traffic comes from those links.
Audience: Amplify admins
Shorten links in Composer to keep your posts easy to read. Content Admins can shorten links with Ow.ly. Plan admins can enable Bit.ly shorteners (see Set up a Bit.ly shortener) and set up custom vanity URLs to shorten their links (see Set up a vanity URL). If you want to use a vanity URL, make sure you add it to your Amplify organization and set it as the organization default.
- Select Composer .
- Paste a link into the Content area. A link toolbar appears when the post contains a link.
- Choose a shortening option:
- Select Shorten with Ow.ly. If you’re publishing a post to multiple social accounts, Hootsuite creates a unique Ow.ly link for each post.
- If your Amplify organization has other shortener options set up, select Add tracking, then select a preset or Customize. Choose from the list of available shorteners, and then select Apply.
- When you're done creating your post, select Send to Amplify.
Note: Your link's UTM parameters are not shown in the admin view of posts in Streams or Amplify, but they are applied when the post is shared.
Create or apply a link settings preset
Together, shortening and tracking are known as link settings. You can create link setting presets to save a combination of tracking parameters and shorteners. Then, when creating a post, you can apply those link settings with one click. Your organization may also have a default preset that applies consistent link tracking and shortening to every post automatically. You can create presets in the web version of Hootsuite.
- Go to Composer , enter a link in the Content field, and then select Add tracking.
- Open the preset list and select a preset.
- To create a new preset, select Manage link presets, and select Create new link settings.
Tip: When choosing your organization's link settings type, select Social Profile. This option allows you to avoid fees associated with translating a member ID.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help