Article updated: September 27, 2023
Create a Facebook or Instagram ad campaign
Facebook ad campaigns get your brand in front of people you might not reach through other channels. Meta gives you powerful targeting options so you can create campaigns that are designed for your ideal customers and get better results. Meta can also decide where to place your ads for the best return on investment (ROI).
Create your campaign, define your target audience, set a budget, choose how long you want it to run, build your ad creative, and publish the campaign to Facebook, all in Hootsuite.
Before you begin
Before you can create a Facebook ad campaign in Hootsuite, make sure that the ad account associated with the Facebook Page you’re using for your ads is connected to Hootsuite. See Manage ad accounts and advertising permissions for more information.
Facebook ad campaign creation workflow
When you create a Facebook ad campaign in Hootsuite, you complete a series of tasks in the Composer campaign workflow to put all of your ad campaign elements in place.
The following sections describe the steps you need to complete for each part of the campaign creation workflow. Complete the tasks in the order they appear.
To get started, select the Facebook Page and ad account you want to use for your campaign, and set a campaign objective.
Select Composer, and then select Facebook ad campaign.
- In the New Facebook ad campaign window, select the Facebook Page and ad account you want to use for your campaign, then enter a name for your campaign.
- Choose an objective for your campaign. This is the business goal you want to achieve. You can choose one of the following options:
- Traffic: Drive traffic to a website or landing page.
- Engagement: Get people to interact with your ad.
- Awareness: Get more people to remember your brand.
If your campaign objective is engagement, select the type of engagement you want to optimize for. You can select Post engagement (comments, likes, or shares) or Video views if your ad includes video.
- Choose the result that you want to optimize for. Available options depend on your campaign objective and the type of engagement you selected.
- If your ad campaign is in a Facebook-designated special category, you must identify it to comply with Facebook’s anti-discrimination policies. Select the Yes, my ad relates to credit, employment, or housing box, and then select the ad category that best fits your ads. Facebook restricts targeting options for special ad categories.
- Select Next: Audience and budget.
When you set up the target audience for your ad campaign, you have three options to choose from. You can build your own audience, based on specific characteristics like location, age, and interests, or you can use a saved audience or custom audience, imported from Facebook.
For information about saved audiences, see the Facebook help article How to Use a Saved Audience.
For information about custom audiences, see the Facebook help article About Custom Audiences.
Important: The new EU Digital Services Act requires social media companies like Meta, to provide greater transparency on ads served through their platforms. If you want to publish ad sets that target audiences worldwide or in EU countries or associated territories on Meta's platforms, you must ensure each such ad set includes beneficiary and payer information. Ad sets that do not comply will be rejected by Meta and not published on its platforms. Learn more about the EU Digital Services Act.
In the Choose your audience section, select how you want to identify who should see your ad.
- Select Use saved audience if you want to use an audience you have saved on Facebook, and then choose an audience from the list.
- Select Use custom audience if you want to use a custom audience you have created on Facebook, and then choose an audience from the list.
- If you want to create the target audience for your campaign, select Build your own audience from the list, and then select Edit to change the default audience parameters.
- In the Edit audience window, specify your audience characteristics by location, gender, age, and detailed targeting attributes, and then select Change audience.
Tip: Refine your audience by demographics, interests, or behaviors. Enter a keyword in the search field, and select one or more options from the list of suggested categories.
- Choose your ad placement strategy. By default, Hootsuite uses Facebook's Automatic Placements feature to optimize your campaign budget. If you want to choose your own ad placements, check the I want to manually choose the placements option, and then select your ad placements from the list.
You can set a daily or lifetime budget for your ad campaign. Facebook allocates your ad spend until the campaign ends or the budget runs out.
- Enter the amount you want to spend on your ad campaign, and select how you want to allocate it. If you select the Total option, Facebook requires a minimum spend of roughly 1 USD or EUR per day, but the amount varies depending on the ad account currency.
- Select a start and end date for your campaign.
- Select Next: Create ad.
The creative elements you need for your ad depend on your campaign objective.
- Traffic: If you're driving people to a website, you have to include a website URL in your ad.
- Engagement: If you're optimizing for video views, your ad must include a video file. You can also include a website URL if you don't want people to go to your Facebook Page or Instagram account.
- Awareness: You can include a website URL if you don't want people to go to your Facebook Page.
Keep the following restrictions in mind when adding an image or video to your ad:
- Facebook images must be larger than 262px by 262px
- Instagram images must have an aspect ratio between 0.565 and 7.8, and be at least 500 px by 500 px
- Instagram videos must have an aspect ratio between 4:5 and 16:9, and must be larger than 500px by 262px; length must be 120 seconds or shorter
As you build your ad, Hootsuite displays a preview of what your ad will look like on mobile, desktop and Instagram platforms.
- Enter a description to tell people what you’re promoting (up to 2200 characters).
- Add an image or video. Drag a media file into the box or upload a file from your computer.
- Enter a headline to get your audience’s attention.
- Enter the URL for a website or landing page (required when the campaign objective is traffic).
- Select a call to action. This is the text that appears on the button that you want your audience to click or tap.
- Optionally, select Create new ad. To create a variation of an existing ad, select Copy details to new ad and then make any necessary changes.
- Repeat step 6 to create more ads. You can include up to 50 ads in your campaign.
Once you've built your ads and checked the ad preview for all platforms to make sure you're happy with how they look, you're ready to publish your ad campaign.
- Select Summary to review your campaign details. You can return to previous screens to make any changes you need to.
- Select Publish campaign.
Hootsuite sends the campaign to Facebook for approval. Facebook typically approves the campaign within 24 hours.
Once your campaign is published, you can view your ads in Planner, and manage your campaign in the Advertise area of Hootsuite.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help