Manage listings with Google My Business
Manage your Google My Business (GMB) listings alongside your social activity with the free Google My Business app. Publish posts to provide business location updates, monitor and engage with reviews, and respond to questions from customers right from Hootsuite streams.
Google My Business is Google’s free business listing service. It lets you display a profile of your business along with your website when someone searches for it in Google Search and Google Maps. The listing can include a description, address, opening hours, posts, reviews, and Q&A. Online searches and reviews are a key factor in consumer decision-making, and your GMB profile acts as your digital storefront. It ensures your business is found and considered by customers and prospects.
Before you begin
Before installing the app, your Google My Business profile must be claimed and verified with Google. See our blog post for more details on why you need a Google My Business account, and how to set one up.
Manage up to 100 locations/listings through the Google My Business app. Brands with 10 or more locations cannot publish posts through third-party platforms including Hootsuite. These businesses can still manage reviews and answer questions from Hootsuite though.
Updates to business listings, such as address and hours of operation must be made natively.
Install the Google My Business app
- Go to My profile , and then select App directory.
- In the top right, search for Google My Business.
- Select Install on the app.
- Select Add streams to a new tab, or select Add streams to an existing tab and then select the tab name from the drop-down list.
- Select Finish. The selected streams for posts, reviews, and questions will be added to Streams.
- In Streams , select Login to Google My Business in each stream.
- Select the Google account that owns the listing you want to manage, enter your password, and then select Next.
- Allow to authorize the app connection.
- Select the listing(s)/location(s) to display in the stream, and then select Confirm.
Up to 100 listings can be added. Note that unverified listings will appear here as well, but they must be verified to use the GMB app in Hootsuite. Select the link next to an unverified listing to find out how to verify it.
Add more app streams
Once the GMB app is installed, you can add multiple app streams for managing different locations or listings in separate streams. Up to 100 listings can be added.
- Select Streams , and then select the board that will host the stream.
- Select Add stream at the top of the board.
- Select Apps from the list on the left.
- Select the Google My Business stream type you want to add (Posts, Questions, or Reviews).
- When you're finished adding streams, select the X in the top right to close the Add Stream modal.
Publish a post
Create and send posts to your business listings, to provide updates on what’s new with your business. Brands with 10 or more locations cannot publish posts through third-party platforms including Hootsuite. These businesses can still manage reviews and answer questions from Hootsuite though.
- Select Add New Post in the top right of the Posts stream.
- Select the listing(s) to post to.
- Enter the body of the post, including text and links. Posts have a limit of 1,500 characters, but Google recommends between 150 and 300 characters.
- Select select a file to upload to attach an image to the post, or select Google Drive or Google Photos to select an image from one of those drives.
Image dimensions must be between 400x300 - 10,000x10,000 pixels, and image size between 10KB and 25MB.
- Optional: Select a call to action from the drop-down and enter a destination link for the button.
- Select Post Now.
Posts remain live in searches for 7 days. Posts older than 7 days will remain visible only to the business owner.
If your business is not verified yet, only you will be able to see the published post.
Respond to a review
Customer reviews, and your replies, are publicly visible on your GMB profile.
- In the Reviews stream, monitor what customers are saying about your business.
- Select Reply below a review, and then enter your response.
- Select Post reply.
Select edit (pencil) or delete (trash bin) on your response in the stream to make changes at any time.
Answer a question
Customer questions, and your replies, are publicly visible on your GMB profile. Other Google users can answer questions about your business, but your answers will be labeled as being from the owner of the business.
- In the Questions stream, select Answer below a question to provide an official response from the business.
- Enter your answer, and then select Post answer.
Select edit (pencil) or delete (trash bin) on your answer in the stream to make changes at any time.
Manage locations within a stream
Update the locations that are displayed and managed within one stream.
- In any GMB stream, select Settings in the top right.
- Select Manage Locations, and then select/deselect the locations you want to manage in that stream.
- Select Confirm. The stream will refresh with the relevant locations, posts, reviews, or questions.