Add a Facebook account
Add a Facebook account to Hootsuite to publish posts and engage with your Facebook audience through a Facebook group or Page.
Note: Due to changes by Facebook in 2018 aimed at protecting privacy, you can add personal Facebook profiles to Hootsuite, but their integration is read-only. Publishing to personal profiles is no longer supported.
Team, Business, and Enterprise members - To add social accounts to Hootsuite organizations, you must be a super admin, admin, or have custom Add Social Networks permissions for your Hootsuite organization. For more information, see Manage social accounts in a team or organization.
Before you begin
Hootsuite accesses Facebook Pages and groups through a personal Facebook account with management permissions for the Facebook Page or group. However, you don't need to add your personal Facebook profile to Hootsuite.
For Facebook Pages, do the following:
- Ensure that your Facebook account has a Page role of Admin or Editor. You can do this on the Facebook Page or through Facebook Business Manager. To learn more, see Manage Page Settings in the Facebook help center. The use of two-factor authentication is required to access Business Manager (see the Facebook help Turn on Two-factor Authentication for Business Manager).
- To add a location Page, ensure that your Facebook account has the Page role on the location page itself. Due to a Facebook limitation, Hootsuite cannot recognize role permissions inherited from the parent page.
For Facebook groups, do the following:
- Ensure that you have an Admin role for the Facebook group. To learn more, see the Facebook article Group Management for Admins.
- Add Hootsuite as an authorized app to the group. For instruction, see the Facebook article How do I add an app to a Facebook group I admin?
Add a Facebook account
Add a Facebook Page or group
- In a separate browser tab or window, log out of Facebook.
- In Hootsuite, go to My profile , and then select Social networks and teams.
- Select + Private account.
Team, Business, and Enterprise plan members in a Hootsuite organization - Select Manage, and then select Add a social network.
- Select Facebook.
- Enter your Facebook account credentials (email and password), and then select Log in.
- Select Continue as [your Facebook profile name]. This does not add your profile to Hootsuite, it only authorizes Hootsuite to access any Pages or groups associated with it.
- Select OK to let Hootsuite access the Pages, groups, and ad accounts that you choose to add. Don’t worry, you haven’t added anything yet!
- Select Add beside the Pages, groups, and profiles you want to add to Hootsuite, and then select Done.
- Is your Page or group not appearing, or is it greyed out? See Troubleshoot problems adding a Facebook account.
- If a selected Page has access to an ad account, you can select the ad accounts you want to add to Hootsuite, and then select Done. Add your ad accounts to promote your Facebook Page posts using Hootsuite.
Note: If you have access to Hootsuite Impact, you need to add your social accounts to Impact, too. See Connect an organic or paid social account to Impact.
Troubleshoot problems adding a Facebook account
If you encounter any problems while adding a Facebook account, check the following solutions to resolve them.
You are directed to your Facebook Page after entering your Facebook credentials
If you are directed to your Facebook Page after signing in to Facebook, you are likely using a "gray" account. Facebook gray accounts are old account types that are no longer supported by Facebook. They are used to administer a Facebook Page without an associated personal Facebook account, and they have their own login credentials.
To fix the issue, make sure you have an Admin role for the Facebook Page in the Page’s settings. Then retry adding the Page to Hootsuite using the previous instructions. However, this time, sign in to Facebook with the credentials for your account instead. For more information, see How do I manage roles for my Facebook Page? in the Facebook Help Center.
Your Page is grayed out and you cannot select it
If your Page is grayed out, you don’t have the required Admin or Editor Page permissions to add it to Hootsuite. Select Ensure you have adequate permissions to confirm and resolve your permissions issue.
Your Page is not appearing when you are trying to select it
If the Facebook Page you want to add is not appearing in Hootsuite, try the following:
- Open a separate browser tab or window, log out of Facebook, and start the process again. Grant Hootsuite full permissions to access your account when prompted.
- Determine whether your Page is a location Page, and whether you have adequate permissions on the Page itself to add it to Hootsuite. See Before you begin.
- Verify that you have given Hootsuite all permissions to your Facebook Page. If some Page permissions were not granted to Hootsuite during a previous connection with Facebook, you need to update those settings and grant additional permissions. For instruction, see the Facebook help article How do I edit the privacy and settings for my business integrations? Then retry adding your Page to Hootsuite.
Your group is grayed out and you cannot select it
If your group is grayed out, either the Hootsuite app has not been added to the group in Facebook or you aren’t a group admin. See Before you begin.
Your group is not appearing when you are trying to select it
If some group permissions were not granted to Hootsuite during a previous connection with Facebook, you need to update your Facebook account settings and grant Hootsuite permissions to post content into groups on your behalf. See the Facebook help article How do I edit the privacy and settings for my business integrations?