Article updated: December 03, 2023
Tag posts and messages
Tags allow you to visually classify posts and messages by category, which is useful for keeping track of things like engagement for specific campaigns and for providing other team members context about specific conversations or posts. Think of a tag as an internal hashtag that can be attached to posts and messages without being visible to the public. If your team plans to use tags, everyone should add all relevant tags to their posts or messages, and do so consistently.
Plans: Business and Enterprise
All members can tag posts and messages, but only organization super admins, admins, and users with custom permissions to Manage Message Tags can create tags and manage the organization’s tag library. Learn how to create and manage tags.
In this article:
Add tags when creating posts to help you track the success of your published content. Tags are not publicly visible on your posts. They're a sort of internal filing system for your posts. For example, you can add tags to posts to sort them by product, campaign, or region. You can add tags to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. You can only add tags to outbound posts when using the web version of Hootsuite.
- Go to Composer .
- Scroll down to the bottom of the window and select Add next to Tags.
- Select tags from the list to add them to your post. You can enter a keyword in the Add tags box to search for a tag. If you're an organization super admin, admin, or user with custom permissions to Manage Message Tags, you can create a new tag to add to your tag library.
- Select Add.
Important: Analytics cannot filter on tags added to Facebook posts with gifs.
Add tags to inbound posts in Streams to help categorize your incoming content. You can then analyze the tags by type in Hootsuite Analytics. Analytics retrieves data for public posts (not unpublished or dark posts). You'll see tags applied to inbound posts in-stream on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram Business, and LinkedIn posts.
Note: Tags are helpful for you and your team. They aren't visible in published posts.
- Go to Streams , locate the inbound post in your stream, select More Actions below the post, and then select Add Tag.
- Select an organization, and then select tags from the list to add them to the post. You can enter a keyword in the Enter a tag box to search for a tag. If you're an organization super admin, admin, or user with custom permissions to Manage Message Tags, you can create a new tag. It will be added to the post and to your tag library.
- Select Save.
You can filter your Twitter and Facebook inbound post metrics by tag in Analytics.
Add tags to messages in Inbox 2.0 to help categorize your message content. Tags are a helpful way to add metadata about a message. For example, you might add tags to a message to express the message sentiment (positive or negative), define the message type (question, comment, or request), or identify parts of the overall conversation (greeting vs. closing). You can then analyze tags by type in Hootsuite Analytics.
Note: Tags are helpful for you and your team. They aren't visible to your customers.
- Go to Inbox 2.0, point to a comment or reply, and then select Tag message.
- Select tags from the list to add them to the message. You can enter a keyword in the Search tags box to search for a tag.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help