Hootlet is a free extension for Google Chrome that lets you compose and share content directly from your web browser, saving you time by preloading shareable content like images, videos, webpage links or text quotes, right from the webpage you are viewing.
Sharing content with Hootlet is just like posting from the Hootsuite dashboard; so you can add personalized messaging, share on the fly, or schedule your posts for more optimal engagement times. Users must be signed in to Hootsuite to use Hootlet.
Hootlet is also available as a bookmarklet in other browsers.
Install and customize Hootlet
To install Hootlet
- In the Hootsuite dashboard, hover your mouse over Tools on the launch menu, and then click InstallExtension.
- Click Add To Chrome.
- Click Add.
Hootlet will install in the top-right corner of your Chrome browser.
To uninstall Hootlet
- Right-click Hootlet in the top-right corner of the browser, and then select Remove from Chrome.
- Click Remove.
To customize Hootlet's settings
Enable or disable certain Hootlet settings that determine things like what kind of content can be shared, or what kind of search results appear.
- Right-click Hootlet in the top-right corner of the browser, and then select Options.
- Click On to turn a feature off or click Off to turn a feature on, and then click Save Changes.
To temporarily disable Hootlet
Temporarily disable and enable Hootlet in your Chrome browser without having to uninstall and reinstall.
- Click Customize and control Google Chrome in the top-right corner of your Chrome browser.
- Click Settings.
- Select Extensions from the menu on the left.
- Uncheck Enabled beside Hootsuite Hootlet to disable it. Check the box again to enable the extension.
To share web content with Hootlet
- Click the Hootlet extension in your browser.
- Select a social profile(s) from the picker in the top-left corner. Only one Twitter profile can be selected per message.
Depending on the social network, Hootlet will populate with different information.
- Twitter/WordPress: Link previews are not supported, but Hootlet will auto-populate with the title and URL of the webpage you're viewing.
- Facebook/LinkedIn/Google+: Hootlet will auto-populate with a link preview below the text box. Note that posts containing link previews must also contain text in the message body to publish successfully.
- Include personalized content in the body of the post.
- Click Send Now, AutoSchedule, or click the Calendar icon to schedule for a specific time.
Share by right-clicking
Share selected text, images, YouTube videos, links or webpages easily with a right-click. Hootlet will populate with the content. Then prepare your message just like you would in the Hootsuite dashboard: select social networks to share the content with, edit your message (this might include attaching images or adding your location) and then AutoSchedule or Schedule your message, or click Send Now.
- Selected text - Click-and-drag your mouse over a selection of text to highlight it, right-click and then click Share selected text via Hootlet. Hootlet will populate with the selected text and a shortened link to the webpage.
- A link - Right-click a link, hover your mouse over Hootsuite Hootlet, and then select Share link via Hootsuite Hootlet. Hootlet will populate with the text of the link and the shortened link.
- An image - Right-click an image and select Share image via Hootsuite Hootlet. Hootlet will populate with the image and a link to the image.
- A webpage - Right-click somewhere on the webpage and then select Share page via Hootlet. Hootlet will populate with the title and a shortened link to the webpage.
Use Hootlet for Twitter searches
Enable the social search results setting in Hootlet to give social context to your Google searches based on keyword. Hootlet will automatically display Twitter results for your search on the right side of the page as you search in Google.com.
Here you can view Twitter profiles, reply to tweets and retweet, and even add the Twitter search results as a stream in your Hootsuite dashboard by clicking Add to Hootsuite below the Twitter results.
Hootsuite’s Hootlet has been designed as a bookmarklet for other browsers that makes it easy to search, compose and share content from your browser.
To install the Hootlet bookmarklet
In your Hootsuite dashboard, hover your mouse over Tools in the launch menu, and then drag-and-drop the Hootlet icon onto the bookmark toolbar at the top of your browser.
Hootlet will be listed with your other bookmarks.
To uninstall the bookmarklet
Right-click the Hootlet bookmark, and then click Delete.
To use the Hootlet bookmarklet
Hootlet pre-populates the compose window with the title and shortened URL of the web page you are viewing. Then just select your social networks and customize your content before sending or scheduling your message.
- Locate a page to share, and then click Hootlet on the bookmarks toolbar.
- Click to select social network(s) to share content with.
- Optional: Edit the message. This might include attaching images or adding your location.
- Schedule or AutoSchedule the message, or click Send Now.