Article updated: September 15, 2023
Add members in bulk
If you're new to Hootsuite, you can import up to 500 team members and their details at one time using a CSV file. You can do this during your onboarding with the Get started guide, or return to the guide to do it later.
Plans: This feature is available to new Business and Enterprise members during onboarding. It is not available to existing customers at this time.
A CSV (Comma Separated Values) file is a special type of file that stores information separated by commas. When text and numbers are saved in a CSV file, it's easy to move them from one program to another. For example, you can export your contacts from Microsoft Outlook into a CSV file, and then import them to Hootsuite.
Download a template file
Download a template file from Hootsuite and enter your member data.
- If you aren't already in the Get started guide, go to Help & resources , and then select Get started guide.
- Select Invite more.
Add your members and details
You must include email addresses to add the members to your Hootsuite organization. You can also include details like their full name, job title, organization permission, and team.
- Open and edit the template file using the editor of your choice.
- Enter your members' email addresses in the Email column. Email addresses are required.
- Optionally, include any of the following member details:
- Full Name
- Job Title
- Organization Permission - Enter Super Admin, Admin, or Default. Learn more about these permissions.
- Teams - Enter one or more teams to assign members to. Teams make it easy to assign tasks to groups of people. When you enter teams here, we'll create them for you. Learn more about teams.
- Save your CSV file.
CSV format rules
In order for your upload to be successful, your CSV file must adhere to the following guidelines:
- It must be less than 10MB in size.
- It must use the UTF-8 encoding standard.
- It can only include text and numbers. Values selected in special formatting like drop-downs will be lost.
- Column headings cannot be modified.
- The Email column must include an email address for each row of data.
- You can only use the following organization permissions: Super Admin, Admin, or Default.
If you try to upload a member who already exists in your organization or, if you have two rows with the same email address, we'll let you know when you upload your file.
Upload your file
You must be a Super admin or admin in Hootsuite to upload a CSV file. When you upload your CSV file, we'll check it for you to make sure everything looks good. We'll provide you with an upload summary. If there are any errors, you'll be given the chance to fix them and try again.
- If you aren't already in the Get started guide, go to Help & resources, select Get started guide, and select Invite more.
- Check to make sure your file meets the previous CSV format rules.
- Select to browse for and upload your file.
- Select Start import.
If there are problems with your file, we'll let you know so you can fix them in your CSV and try again. You can choose to see your errors in a list (View rows with errors) or download a CSV showing your errors so that you can address them at a later time.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help