Article updated: September 15, 2023
Create and schedule content in Planner
Use the content calendar in Planner to quickly see gaps in your posting schedule, and create new, scheduled content to fill them. You can also reschedule, edit, delete, or suspend scheduled posts right in the calendar.
Select a time slot in your calendar to start your post. If you have recommended times turned on in your Planner settings, you’ll see highlighted times that will get the most engagement. Learn more about recommended times.
Have OwlyWriter AI create an event caption for you
Note: All Hootsuite customers can try Event captions by OwlyWriter AI for free for a limited time during the open beta.
Celebrate holidays and trending events by having Event captions by OwlyWriter AI write festive, on-brand posts for you. You'll find global social media events and country-specific holidays right in Planner. The holidays you see are based on the country in your administrator's account.
For every caption OwlyWriter creates, you use a token. You have access to 300 tokens that automatically renew on the first of every month. AI captions are currently only available in English.
- Select a holiday or event in the Planner week view.
- Review the captions created for you, and then select Create post next to the one you like best. The post opens in Composer. You can also drag the caption you like best into a time slot in Planner to start a draft post.
- Select the social accounts you want to publish to, make any changes to your caption, add images or other media, and then continue to publish or schedule your post. Learn more about how to create and publish posts in Hootsuite.
Edit content in your calendar
Select a post to open it in the calendar and take action on it.
For scheduled, unpublished posts, you can edit, delete, or reschedule them; and approve or reject those awaiting approval. For published posts, you can view them on the social network you posted them to, and duplicate them to build off the original. When duplicating a boosted post, you'll have to re-add promoted ad spend.
- It's best practice to edit duplicate posts so they are unique. Social networks have strict publishing rules and often flag identical content as spam, especially if published within a short period.
- Tracking parameters on links also get duplicated, unless they are dynamic, so make sure to update these when duplicating posts.
Reschedule a post
To reschedule a post in week view, select the card and drag it to a new time slot (scheduling is done in 5-minute increments). Reschedule or edit posts at least 6 minutes in advance of publishing, and 15 minutes in advance for posts with videos (30 minutes if processing is required). You can also reschedule by selecting a card, selecting Edit, and then editing the scheduled date.
Suspend scheduled content
Put a halt on specific content scheduled by a team member to keep it from going live. In a crisis, you can Suspend scheduled content.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help