Article updated: September 13, 2021
Publish a video to YouTube
You can publish or schedule videos to YouTube channels from Hootsuite, and then share them to your other social accounts too.
Note: Team, Business, and Enterprise plan members who publish videos to a YouTube channel must have Editor or higher permissions for that channel.
Video file requirements
- File types - mp4, m4v.
- Max file size - 1 GB.
- Max video length - 15 minutes. You can upload longer videos with a verified YouTube account. For information, the Google help article Upload videos longer than 15 minutes.
- Aspect ratio - 16:9. If your file is not 16:9, YouTube adds space on the sides of your video so it displays correctly without cropping or stretching.
You can also use formatting tags to change the appearance and format of your video when it is published. For more information, see the Google help article Add tags to videos.
Watch Best practices for creating and sharing content on YouTube for great publishing guidance. Visit Hootsuite Academy to watch more videos, take courses, or earn industry-recognized certifications.
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already added your YouTube channel to Hootsuite. See Add a YouTube channel.
Publish or schedule a video to YouTube
Note: Publishing to YouTube from Hootsuite is a unique workflow that's completed from the Legacy composer and not the new composer.
- Point to Create new post, and then select Legacy composer.
Note:You don't need to select a social account when publishing to YouTube. In fact, YouTube channels don't appear in the social account list.
- Select Attach media .
- Select YouTube Video, and then add a video from your computer into the video area.
- Select the YouTube channel you want to publish to.
- Enter a title for your video in the Title field.
- Optionally, enter a video description, add tags, or select a category from the drop-down menu.
Although tags are not displayed publicly, they can help make your video easier to discover.
- Optionally, if you have a verified YouTube account, you can select a video thumbnail by using the left and right arrows (see the Google help article Upload videos longer than 15 minutes).
- Select a privacy setting. You can schedule Unlisted or Private videos to go public at a later date and time. Turn on Schedule to go Public, select a date and time, and then select Done.
- Publish or schedule your video. An embed code that you can insert into a website and the YouTube video URL that you can share to other social accounts display.
- Select Share via Hootsuite to create a new post and automatically insert the video URL into the text area. See Create and publish posts to learn more.
Note: A video cannot be uploaded to the same YouTube channel more than once. YouTube removes duplicate videos.
All published and scheduled videos appear immediately in your My Videos stream. See Add a YouTube stream to learn how to create a My Videos stream. Note that thumbnails are visible in-stream only for Unlisted and Public videos. You can view Private videos from your dashboard streams if you are also signed in to the YouTube channel.
Tip: Looking for YouTube Analytics? You can monitor and track engagement on your videos and channels with the Channelview apps available in Hootsuite Apps.