Article updated: May 17, 2022
Create and publish posts
Create and publish all of your social media content to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram from one location with the post composer. This intuitive publishing tool lets you create, preview, schedule, and publish posts for each social network.
For extra efficiency, you can create and schedule posts to multiple accounts by customizing the body of a single post on a per-network basis. Tailor your text, mentions, emoji, and hashtags to each social network in the same post!
Note: Publishing to Pinterest and YouTube, and creating Instagram stories, are unique workflows. See the following articles:
For step-by-step instructions for creating and publishing posts for each social network, see:
You can also create and publish posts to your Google My Business listings. For more information, see Manage your Google My Business listings.
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already added your social accounts to Hootsuite. To learn more, see Add a social account to Hootsuite
For great information on best times to post, check out The Best time to post on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Visit the Hootsuite blog for news, tips, tools, and tactics to help you succeed on social media.
Access the post composer
Select Composer to open the post composer.
You can select Minimize at any time to go to other areas of Hootsuite and resume your post later.
Select the social accounts to publish to
You can publish content to multiple networks at one time. Use the Publish to list to select the social accounts you'd like to publish to. You’ll find your social accounts organized by network type, team, and private accounts. Enter a keyword into the Publish to box to search by social network, profile name, or team. Selecting a team selects all of the social accounts managed by that team.
If you belong to more than one Hootsuite organization, you can select an organization to view different social accounts.
Enterprise team members can also select a campaign to associate a post with a current or future campaign. This action automatically applies the campaign’s link settings and tags to the post, to categorize it for future analysis. For more information, see Create and manage content campaigns.
Tip: If you often publish to the same social accounts, select the star next to an account or team name to add it to your favorites. Favorites show up at the top of the Publish to list for quick access.
Create your post
After you've selected the social accounts you'd like to publish to, you can create your post. Note that Hootsuite does not support creating event posts or polls.
Business and Enterprise plan members can create posts from a content library with pre-approved post templates. To learn more, see Use a content library template.
In the Initial content area, enter your post text. Above the Initial content area, the character count updates as you type. You can also include the following in the body of your posts:
- Mentions of a user or Page - To learn more, see Mention a user or Page.
- Links - You can even use shortened links and add link-tracking parameters to analyze link or content performance. To learn more, see Work with link previews.
- Emoji! - See also Add more inclusive emoji.
Hootsuite copies your content into tabs for each social network you've selected. In each tab you can customize your content so it’s optimized for the unique audiences on each social network. Changes to the initial content will update all tabs until you start customizing them.
Select a social network tab and customize the post content for that social network. For example, tweak your content and make it shorter on Twitter, remove the hashtags on Facebook, or remove the link on Instagram. The character count reflects the remaining characters for the social network. If your post includes mentions, you must customize them in each social network tab. See Mention a user or Page for more details.
To undo customizations for a single social network and restore it to the initial content, select Overwrite with initial content in the social network tab.
To undo customizations in all social network tabs, select the Initial content tab, and then select Overwrite custom social network content.
Overwriting your customizations resets any mentions selections. You will need to customize mentions again per social network.
When the body of your post is complete, you can add other elements to your post:
- Images, videos (including SRT files), and GIFs - Plus, you can edit and apply filters to your images. Media is the same for all social networks (customizing it is in the works for 2022). To learn more, see Image file requirements, Work with images, and Work with videos.
- Tags - Business and Enterprise plan members can add tags to posts to analyze their performance in Hootsuite Analytics (see Manage tags).
- Select the social network content tabs to reveal the other network-specific options available for your post: Select the Twitter content tab and the Twitter location option appears. Select Facebook or LinkedIn and the targeting and post promotion options appear.
Preview and publish your post
As you create your post, you can select a social network content tab and review how the post will look on that network using the preview on the right. When you're ready, you can choose from the following publishing options in the bottom right:
- Post now - Publish the post right away.
- Schedule for later - Select a time and date to publish the post. If you have a paid plan, you can choose a recommended time. Scheduling your posts lets you keep your social presence active and publish your posts at high engagement times. See Schedule a post to learn more.
- Save draft - Select the arrow next to Post now, and then select Save draft if you're not ready to publish or schedule your post. Your customized content is saved for each social network tab.
If you want to create another post right away, select the arrow next to Post now (or Schedule), and then select one of the following options:
- Post and reuse accounts (or Schedule and reuse accounts) - Publish your current post and begin a new one to the same social accounts.
- Post and duplicate (or Schedule and duplicate) - Publish your current post and retain its content to create a new, similar post with a unique post ID.
Tip: Find and manage your drafts, published posts, and scheduled posts in Publisher . Scheduled posts are separated by social account in Planner, so if you want to make edits later, you’ll need to edit each post separately. See Manage your content calendar for more details.
Important: Posts to Instagram Personal profiles, and Business profiles that are not connected to Facebook Pages, need to be published using the mobile notification workflow. For more information, see Create an Instagram post.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help