Article updated: October 19, 2021
Create and publish posts
Create and publish all of your social media content to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram from one location with the post composer. This intuitive publishing tool allows you to create, schedule, and publish posts for each social network and preview them before you post them.
Important: Publishing to Pinterest and YouTube, and creating Instagram stories, are unique workflows. See the following articles:
For step-by-step instructions for creating and publishing posts for each social network, see:
You can also create and publish posts to your Google My Business listings. For more information, see Manage your Google My Business listings.
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already added your social accounts to Hootsuite. To learn more, see Add a social account to Hootsuite
For great information on best times to post, check out The Best time to post on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Visit the Hootsuite blog for news, tips, tools, and tactics to help you succeed on social media.
Access the post composer
Select Create new post to open the post composer.
You can select Minimize at any time to go to other areas of Hootsuite and resume your post later.
Select the social accounts to post to
You can publish content to multiple networks at one time. Use the Post to list to select all of the social accounts you'd like to publish to. You’ll find your social accounts organized by network type, team, and personal social accounts. Type a keyword into the Post to box to search by social network, profile name, or team.
Team, Business, and Enterprise plan members can select a Hootsuite organization, and then select a team from the Post to list. This action quickly selects all of the social accounts managed by that team.
Enterprise team members can also select a campaign to associate a post with a current or future campaign. This action automatically applies the campaign’s link settings and tags to the post, to correctly categorize it for future analysis. For more information, see Create and manage content campaigns.
Tip: If you often publish to the same social accounts, select the star next to an account or team name to add it to your favorites. Favorites show up at the top of the Post to list for quick access.
Create your post
After you've selected the social accounts you'd like to publish to, you can create your post. Note that Hootsuite does not support creating event posts or polls.
Business and Enterprise plan members can create posts from a content library with pre-approved post templates. To learn more, see Use a content library template.
In addition to text, you can include the following in your posts:
- Mentions of a user or Page - To learn more, see Mention a user or Page.
- Tags - Business and Enterprise plan members can add tags to posts to analyze their performance in Hootsuite Analytics (see Manage tags).
- Links - You can even use shortened links and add link-tracking parameters to analyze link or content performance. To learn more, see Work with links.
- Images, videos (including SRT files), and GIFs - Plus, you can edit and apply filters to your images. To learn more, see Work with images and Work with videos.
- Emoji! - See also Add more inclusive emoji.
Tip: Take advantage of the additional options to promote popular posts, add a physical location, and target a specific audience.
Preview and publish your post
As you create your post, you can review it using the preview on the right. When you're ready, you can choose from the following publishing options:
- Post now - Publish the post. You can also use the following expanded Post now options:
- Save draft - Save the post as a draft to polish or review it at another time. You can find your drafts in the Publisher.
- Post and reuse accounts- Publish your post, retain your social account choices, and begin a new post to those same social accounts.
- Post and duplicate - Publish your post but retain a copy of the original content and the social account selection to create a similar post or schedule the post again. Hootsuite creates a new post ID so you can track each post separately.
Note: Posts that are published immediately (not scheduled) are not visible in Planner.
- Schedule for later - Schedule a time and date for the post to publish. Paid plan users can select a recommended time. Scheduling your posts allows you to keep your social presence active and publish your posts at high audience-engagement times. See also Schedule a post.
Important: Posts to Instagram personal profiles, and business profiles that are not connected to Facebook Pages, need to be published using the mobile notification workflow. For more information, see Create an Instagram post
- About post authors
- Suggestions for the best times to publish on social
- Create engaging and effective social media content
- Publish and schedule posts in the Hootsuite mobile app
- Why You Shouldn't Post to All Your Social Media Channels at Once (And What to Do Instead)
- Manage your Google My Business listings