Article updated: December 01, 2023
Create a LinkedIn post
You can create and publish content to LinkedIn profiles or Pages. To save time, you can publish to several LinkedIn accounts or social networks at once. Publish posts right away, or schedule them in advance for a specific day and time.
Watch Best practices for sharing content on LinkedIn Pages for great publishing guidance. Visit Hootsuite Academy to watch more videos, take courses, or earn industry-recognized certifications.
Create your post
Hootsuite is not able to support creating carousels, event posts, polls, or articles, or attaching PDFs or other documents to posts.
- You can start your post from Composer or Planner. Select one of the following options:
- Select Composer, and then select Post.
- Go to your content calendar in Planner , select the week view , select a time or recommended time to schedule your post, and then select Post. Learn about scheduling posts in a content calendar.
- Select the LinkedIn profiles and Pages you'd like to publish to.
- Create your post. The character limit for LinkedIn posts is 3,000. You can include the following in the body of your post:
- Links - Enter or paste a link in your post to drive traffic to your website, blog, or product. You can shorten your links in Hootsuite for a tidier look, and add tracking parameters so you can see how much web traffic comes from those links. Learn how to shorten and track links.
- Mentions of a user or Page - Enter @username in your post to invite others on social to join a conversation, and help your post reach their audience as well as your own. Read more about mentions.
- Hashtags - Enter your own hashtags or select AI hashtag suggestions to find hashtags that work with your post text and media. Read our guide to using hashtags on every network.
- Emoji - Select the smiley face to add emoji.
- You can add one or more images or a video to your profile or Page post, or a GIF (Page posts only). Drag files from your computer into the Content area. You can also design images with Canva (see Design visuals with Canva for help), or add media from a Media library.
- Point to an image and select Alt to add alt text to your image. The alt text character limit for LinkedIn is 300 characters.
- (Optional) Select Edit image to crop, add filters, or make other adjustments to the image. Find out how to customize your images in Hootsuite.
- To add alt text (descriptive text for your image) on a Page post, point to an image thumbnail and select Alt. Enter the alt text description of the image, and then select Apply.
When you create your post, you can also take advantage of additional options (depending on your Hootsuite plan type) to promote your post, apply tags, or select the specific audience who can see your post.
- Promote a post - Select Promote this post under Promotion to promote your post on LinkedIn. To learn more, see Boost a LinkedIn Page post.
- Specify targeting for a post - Select Add next to LinkedIn Page audience to select who you’d like to see your post. Select industry, seniority level, functions, locations, language, and company size, and then select Add. LinkedIn Pages must have at least 300 followers that match the selected targeting options to successfully publish a targeted post to that audience.
- Specify a campaign(Business and Enterprise plans) - Select your organization, and then select Campaign to associate your post with a current or future campaign. To find out more, see Create and manage content campaigns.
- Upload images from your content library(Business and Enterprise plans) - In the Content area, select Media library , and then select Content Library Images to select an image from your pre-approved media files.
- Ask for a review (Business and Enterprise plans) - Invite a team member to review and approve your posts before they go live. Select a team member from the Ask for approval list to help make sure your post is on-brand and polished before you publish it. Learn more about asking a team member to approve your post.
- Apply a tag(Business and Enterprise plans) - Select Add next to Tags to apply tags to your posts and analyze their performance in Hootsuite Analytics. Select the tags to add to your post, and then select Add. To find out more, see Tag posts and messages.
Publish your LinkedIn post
When you’re finished creating your post, take a look at the preview on the right to see how it will look on your LinkedIn profile or Pages. You'll be alerted to any issues with your post. Save a draft of your post if you're not ready to publish or schedule it. Otherwise, select a Post now or Schedule for later option.
Want to know more about scheduling posts? See Schedule a post. You can find and manage your drafts, published posts, and scheduled posts in a calendar view in Planner .
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help