Article updated: October 04, 2022
Publish and monitor your WordPress content
Manage and update your WordPress.org blog along with your other social content with the WordPress.org app.
All plan types can install this free app from Hootsuite Apps (see the WordPress.org app in the directory). Monitor and create pages and posts, view pages and posts in draft state, respond to comments, and share posts to your other social accounts.
The WordPress.org app connects self-hosted blogs from WordPress.org to Hootsuite. WordPress.org sites must be XML-RPC enabled. Hootsuite does not support publishing to blogs hosted on WordPress.com.
Install the WordPress app
- Go to My profile , and then select Install Hootsuite apps.
- Search for WordPress, select the app, and then select Install.
- Select to add the app to a new or existing Streams board, and then select Finish.
- Enter your blog URL and WordPress.org credentials, and then select Find Your WordPress to connect your site. If you get an error message, see the following Troubleshoot section.
Add more app streams
When the WordPress.org app is installed, you can add multiple app streams. For example, you can monitor posts in one stream and pages in another, or manage different WordPress.org accounts in separate streams.
- Select Add Stream.
- Select Apps from the list on the left.
- Select WordPress.org to add a new stream to your Hootsuite streams.
- Enter the blog URL and WordPress.org credentials, and then select Find Your WordPress.
Use the WordPress app
To create and publish a blog post, select the pencil icon at the top of the stream. Note that Hootsuite's integration with WordPress.org does not support the ability to schedule blog posts or to set a featured image for your post.
To view different content in the stream, select the magnifying glass icon, and then select posts, pages, or comments.
Below any post, select Comments to view and moderate each comment. Select the arrow on a comment to approve or identify it as spam. Add your own comment below any post.
Point to any post and then select to send it via email, or to share it to your other social accounts connected to Hootsuite.
If you encounter the message: Error: Could not find your blog when attempting to connect your WordPress.org site, check the following:
- Ensure that your WordPress.org site is running the latest version of WordPress with all the latest updates.
- Confirm that your WordPress.org site is XML-RPC enabled.
- Check your password for special characters as they can cause login errors. Consider changing your password to include only letters and numbers.
- Use the URL of your blog’s landing page (for example: http://blog.hootsuite.com/). Try with and without "http://"
- Check for third-party plugins such as Bad Behavior, Block Bad Queries, Better WP Security, or Login Lock, as they can cause issues signing in or connecting to the app.
- Check to see if your WordPress site is using the W3 Total Cache plugin. Blogs that use this plugin or blogs that have a large number of posts can lead to the app stream not loading the posts.
- Although the blog could be valid, when the format or customization is too complex, you can experience errors. Simplified blogs that use templates work best.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help