Article updated: August 09, 2022
Add a social account to Hootsuite
Adding your social accounts to Hootsuite is the first step in saving time on social media. Instead of signing in to each social network separately, you can use Hootsuite to manage activity for all your connected accounts in one place. Learn which social account types you can manage with Hootsuite in this article.
Each Hootsuite plan type lets you add a different number of social accounts (see Overview of Hootsuite plans). If you reach your plan limit when adding social accounts, you must remove an account to make room for a new one.
Generally, everyone has one social profile per account when they sign up with a social network, like Twitter or Instagram. Facebook and LinkedIn are a bit different. With those social networks, you could have access to multiple account types, including your personal profile, as well as Pages or groups. Pages and groups are also considered account types in Hootsuite.
Hootsuite supports the following account types and counts each one toward your account limit:
|Social network||Supported account type|
- LinkedIn groups and Facebook gray accounts are not supported. Gray accounts are an old type of account used to manage a Facebook Page without a personal Facebook account.
- Hootsuite does not currently support any integrations for Snapchat, MeWe, Nextdoor, or XING.
Tip: To integrate a social account not listed here, like WeChat or Sina Weibo, check to see if it’s available in Hootsuite Apps.
For step-by-step instructions for connecting each type of account in web or mobile, see:
- Add a Facebook account
- Add an Instagram account
- Add a Twitter account
- Add a LinkedIn account
- Add a TikTok Business account
- Add a YouTube channel
- Add a Pinterest account
Important information for Impact customers
If you're using Hootsuite and Hootsuite Impact, you must add your social accounts to both. See Connect your accounts to Impact for detailed instructions.
Troubleshoot adding a social account
You might run into the following issues when adding social accounts.
I can't add more accounts, even though my plan type supports more
Team, Business, and Enterprise plan members, make sure you’re adding accounts to your Hootsuite organization, and not for your private use.
The account I’m trying to add is currently owned by another user
A social media account can only connect to one Hootsuite account at a time. If the account you’re trying to add is already connected to another Hootsuite account, you'll see the error, "This social network is currently owned by another user." You'll be prompted to Take Ownership of the account.
- If the account is connected to Hootsuite for personal use, you can take ownership of it, which removes the account from the other Hootsuite account and connects it to yours.
- If the account is connected to a Hootsuite organization, you cannot claim it. You’ll either see a message displaying the name of the organization that currently owns the account, or when you try to take ownership you’ll see the message, “You don’t have access to this social network”. Contact Hootsuite Support for help resolving this case.
Team, Business, and Enterprise members of a Hootsuite organization - You should already have access to the social accounts in the organization and do not need to add them to your own Hootsuite account. To find out more, see Overview of teams and organizations.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help