Article updated: May 18, 2022
Publish and schedule posts in the Hootsuite mobile app
Create posts on the go with the Hootsuite mobile app. Publish to all your social accounts at once, or schedule posts to publish later.
Publishing to the following social accounts is supported on iOS and Android:
- Facebook Pages
- Facebook groups
- Instagram Business profiles
- Instagram Personal profiles
- Twitter profiles
- LinkedIn Pages
- LinkedIn profiles
Select an account to publish to
- Go to Compose .
- Select the plus icon and choose the accounts you want to publish your post to. Only one Twitter profile can be selected per post.
Tip: For quick access to accounts you use frequently, select the pin beside those accounts. The icon is blue when an account is pinned.
- On an iOS device, select Done in the top right. On an Android device, select the back arrow in the top left.
The social accounts available depend on the organization selected in your app settings (see Set preferences in the Hootsuite mobile app ).
Enter your post text and mentions
- Enter the text in the body of your post, including emoji.
- To mention a Twitter or Instagram user or a Facebook Page, enter the @username. Select from the list of results that appears for Twitter and Facebook. Enter an Instagram user's exact username to publish a hyperlinked mention in Instagram.
Mentions in posts sent to more than one social network appear as hyperlinked mentions in the applicable social network. In the other social networks, mentions appear as plain text. Facebook Page mentions can only be published by other Facebook Pages.
Include a link
- Enter a link in the body of your post.
Default organization link settings presets are applied when a link is detected.
- To shorten the link, select the link icon , select Shorten with Ow.ly, and then select Apply. To unshorten, select the icon again and choose None.
- Team, Business, and Enterprise plan members: You can choose from the link settings presets available in your organization. To apply certain tracking parameters or shortener options from mobile, set them up in the web version of Hootsuite in a new preset. Learn how to create a link settings preset.
- If you're publishing to more than one social account, all your posts will use the same tracking parameters and shortened URLs. Publish to one social account at a time to track links separately.
- If your post has more than one link, the same link settings are applied to all links.
- Posts containing link previews must also contain text in the body of the post before they can be published.
Note: For iOS devices, photo and camera access must be enabled in your device settings (see Set permissions for the Hootsuite mobile app).
- Select the photo icon to attach an image to your post. (Or, select the camera icon to take a new photo.)
- Select the tabs to browse device media, free stock images, GIFs from GIPHY, or images from a content library (Business and Enterprise plans only).
- Select an image to attach it to the post. You can select an image thumbnail to preview it.
- Facebook Pages: Select an existing Facebook album to publish images to.
Twitter and Facebook Pages support 1 animated GIF per post. Animated GIFs published to Instagram appear as still images.
Publish a video
Videos must be .mov on iOS or .mp4 on Android and can't exceed 40 frames per second. The Hootsuite mobile app fits your uploaded videos to each social network's video requirements, so you don't have to worry about formatting them yourself. At this time, portrait videos to Instagram are not supported. Learn more about video file requirements.
- Select the photo icon and select an existing video from your device.
Facebook Pages: Select the video thumbnail and then select Edit to add a title and video category, or select Change thumbnail to select a different thumbnail option or upload your own. The video title is visible in Facebook when the video is clicked on for viewing. Videos appear as shares in the Page timeline, and are added to the video library of that Page.
Add your location to tweets
- Select the location icon to add your current location (geotag) to Twitter posts. The icon is blue when your location is added.
Note: Location access must be enabled in your device settings for the Hootsuite mobile app. See Set permissions for the Hootsuite mobile app).
On iOS devices, geotagging can be auto-enabled for every tweet in your app preferences.
Publish or schedule
When you're ready to publish, select Next in the top right, and then choose one of the following options:
- Publish now to publish right away
- Auto schedule, to automatically schedule your post for an optimal time, based on your already scheduled content and AutoSchedule settings from the web version of Hootsuite
- Custom schedule to set a later date and time for the post to publish
Note: The Hootsuite mobile app uses the time zone set on your device.
Select Save draft in the bottom right at any time to resume editing and scheduling later (see Save and edit drafts in the Hootsuite mobile app).
After publishing or scheduling a post, you can choose to view your post directly in the social network, or view scheduled posts in Planner.
If a post fails to publish, the reason for the failure appears. Select Edit failed posts and try again to fix the error, and then publish or schedule the post again.
Important: Posts to Personal Instagram profiles, and Business profiles that are not set up for direct publishing, will be published via mobile notification.
If you see "Something went wrong" after publishing directly, see Your Instagram account is a Creator profile.
Web-only publishing and scheduling features
A few of Hootsuite's more advanced and complex tasks can be performed in the web version of Hootsuite only. See the following articles for information about tasks that cannot be performed in the Hootsuite mobile app:
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help