Article updated: October 20, 2021
Engage with and assign conversations in Inbox
Hootsuite Inbox can help you and your team manage all your social conversations with audiences and customers in a single place.
The information in this article applies to:
- Facebook Page private messages
- Comments and replies on your public Facebook Page posts
- Visitor posts to your Facebook Page, their comments, and replies
- Twitter direct messages, mentions, and replies
- Comments and replies on your LinkedIn Page and Showcase Page posts
- *Instagram direct messages and story mentions
*To start seeing Instagram messages, you'll need to reconnect your Instagram profiles and make sure message access is turned on in Instagram. To learn more, see Reconnect a social account.
- If you haven’t used Inbox before, read Overview of Hootsuite Inbox to learn more before you begin.
- Mentions of Facebook Pages by groups appear in Inbox only if the group and the Page are linked with each other.
- Comments and replies on LinkedIn stories do not appear in Inbox.
- Instagram disappearing photos and videos and public Instagram posts that are attached to direct messages won’t appear in Inbox.
To learn more about the difference between Inbox and Assignments, see Differences between Inbox and Assignments.
- Go to Inbox .
Customers who are members of multiple organizations can select an organization from the list at the top.
- Review messages in the Unassigned queue (Incoming for Professional plans). Each message shows the social network and profile of the sender and the time the message was received.
Tip: New messages appear in chronological order with the newest at the top. To reverse the sort order, select the arrow at the top of the queue.
- Select a message in the list to open the full conversation thread on the right.
- Select the sender’s name at the top of the thread to open the context panel. The panel shows additional profile information, depending on the social network:
- Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn profiles display name and profile picture. (If a LinkedIn user has Profile visibility off LinkedIn disabled in their LinkedIn settings, they appear in Inbox as “Private User”.)
- Twitter profiles display name, profile picture, bio, location, and account information.
- (Enterprise customers only) Select Add Note below a user’s profile in the context panel to read or add internal details about your brand's interactions with them, up to 2,000 characters.
- All members within the same organization can view profile notes.
- Only the note creator can edit a note.
- The note creator and all admins can delete notes.
- (Enterprise customers only) Select the Interactions tab to review all conversations between you and the user or profile for the past six months. Interaction history includes Twitter direct mentions, @mentions, and replies, and Facebook Page visitor posts and public comments and replies on a Page.
- Conversations in Inbox are maintained in threads that are unique to each person you engage with. Therefore, prior interactions are visible for context with each new message.
- For LinkedIn and Facebook comments and replies, a thread is created for each post that someone comments on. The thread shows the conversation between your Page and that person below the original post.
Select Filters to view specific messages in your Inbox. You can apply any combination of the following filters:
- Social Network Messages from specific social profiles only
- Message Type Private or public messages
- Assigned To Messages assigned to specific teams or team members
The filter icon changes to show that a filter is applied. Select the X to clear all filters.
Reply, moderate, or dismiss conversations
You can reply, moderate, or dismiss conversations from the Inbox.
Reply to a message
- Select a message in the list to open the full conversation thread on the right. If the message is a continuation of a prior conversation, you'll see which team members have replied to the user.
- Enter your message at the bottom of the thread, and then select Send.
LinkedIn and Facebook Page activity display the original post being commented on, for context.
Note: After 7 days with no engagement on a Facebook private message, you can no longer reply to that message (although you can still see the message in Inbox). Each time the customer responds to you in Messenger, the 7-day time frame restarts.
This is a Facebook policy designed to protect the customer by encouraging timely responses and limiting the amount of spam customers can receive from brands.
Delete unassigned offensive or spam comments from your Page posts
- Select the 3 dots to the right of the comment, and then select Delete.
Dismiss an unassigned message and move it to the Done queue
- Select Dismiss, either in the top right of the thread, or by hovering over the message in the list and selecting Dismiss.
Note: When you dismiss a message that has not been assigned or interacted with, the name of the person who dismissed it will not appear in the Done queue.
Dismiss unassigned messages in bulk
- Select the box at the top of the list to select all messages, or hover over each profile picture to the left of each message and select the boxes individually.
- Select Dismiss in the top right of Inbox.
Transition Public Facebook comments to private messages
- In the thread, select Message, and then type your reply.
Note that this option is available only for public comments from profiles (not Pages).
Tag messages or comments
Business and Enterprise customers can select Tag under each message to classify and later analyze them in Analytics.
To learn more, see Analyze team performance.
When a tag has been applied at least 10 times, Inbox automatically associates the tag with message text and recommends it as a suggested tag when you select Tag.
To assign a message to someone and have a notification message sent to them (if their notification settings allow it):
- Select Assign in the top right of the thread.
- In the Assign To box, select yourself, a team, or another team member (Team, Business, and Enterprise plans).
Tip: You can quickly assign messages to yourself by hovering over them in the message list and selecting Assign to me.
- Optional: Enter a note in the text box at the bottom to provide guidance for handling the message or for a record of the interaction. These notes are visible only within Inbox and appear in the message thread.Note: Only assignment notes added to private messages appear in Inbox. Assignment notes added to public messages do not appear in Inbox but are included in email notifications. Notes added to a user's profile are always accessible from the context panel in Inbox.
Assigned messages move from the Unassigned queue into either Assigned (assigned to any team) or Assigned to Me (assigned specifically to you). If your organization has automated assignments running, messages appear in these queues automatically instead of in the Unassigned queue.
After replying to an assigned message, select Resolve in the top-right corner of the thread. This moves the thread out of Assigned and into Done.
Conversations can be re-opened and returned to the Unassigned queue in two ways:
- A customer responds to a thread in the Done queue.
- You select Reopen on a dismissed message in the Done queue.
If you belong to more than one Hootsuite organization, select the icon in the top left of Inbox in the Hootsuite mobile app and select an organization. This ensures that you're seeing the right social accounts in Inbox. To view messages for one or more accounts, select Filter in the top right, and then select the social accounts. You can also filter by public or private message types.
The Unassigned queue (or Incoming for Professional plans) is the default view. All new messages appear here in chronological order, with the newest at the top. Select the arrow at the top of the queue to reverse the sort order. Each message displays the social account that received it, as well as the time it was received.
Swipe right on a message to dismiss it right away, or select it to take more action:
- Select the reply field at the bottom of the thread to enter a reply, and then select Send .
- When a message has been replied to or doesn’t need action, select Dismiss in the top right. This moves the thread into the Done queue.
- You can also select More in the top right to assign the message to yourself, a team, or another team member (Team, Business, and Enterprise plans).
Select the queue name at the top to switch to another queue.
Assigned messages move from Unassigned into either the Assigned queue (assigned to any teams you are a member of) or the Assigned to me queue (assigned specifically to you). Swipe right on an assigned message in the list to resolve it right away, or select it to open and respond. Then select Resolve on an assigned thread to move it out of Assigned and into Done.
In the Done queue, select a message, and then select More to reopen a dismissed message. This returns it to the Unassigned/Incoming queue. If a customer replies to a dismissed conversation, that thread re-opens and moves from Done back into Unassigned/Incoming.