Article updated: May 09, 2022
Find answers to frequently asked questions about your Hootsuite subscription and invoices.
Why was I charged twice?
If two accounts use the same payment information, each account generates an invoice.
Tip: Contact our support team to help identify and close duplicate accounts.
What do I need to know about my annual or monthly subscription?
An annual subscription is a one-year commitment to a Hootsuite paid plan. Annual subscriptions offer one discounted, non-refundable payment instead of monthly payments.
You can switch a paid plan to a free plan, change your plan type, or delete your Hootsuite account at any time. Paid plans keep all the features of their plan until their annual or monthly commitment ends. If you delete your account, we immediately close it with no proration or partial refund. For detailed information, see Manage your Hootsuite plan and account.
If you add features, we invoice you from the time you sign up for them to the end of your subscription commitment. Add-on features removed mid-cycle remain active until the end of the subscription commitment. We do not offer a refund.
Monthly subscriptions are payable at the beginning of each monthly billing cycle. A monthly subscription gives you the flexibility to change your plan at any time. You can make one change per billing cycle. If you switch to an annual subscription, it begins immediately. Your invoice will reflect a prorated amount. You can also switch your plan type.
Why did my Hootsuite account renew?
Hootsuite bills you for your subscription on a monthly or yearly basis. Your subscription is set to renew at the end of your subscription commitment unless you turn this feature off. You can turn your monthly subscription on and off (for example, if you plan on being away for an extended amount of time). To do this, turn on or off automatic renewals. You could then let your subscription expire before returning and restarting payments. We bill for annual accounts at one time. You cannot switch Annual accounts on or off until the end of the annual commitment.
To avoid automatic renewal, turn it off or switch to a free account before your renewal date. See Manage your Hootsuite plan and account.
What should I do if I haven't received my invoice?
You can access your invoices and billing history from Hootsuite. For more information, see Manage your Hootsuite invoices.
If you have a Hootsuite Enterprise account, request your invoice from your customer success manager.
What methods of payment does Hootsuite accept?
Hootsuite accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB, and Paypal instant payments.
To make payments from a bank account, connect the bank account to PayPal, and then use PayPal as your primary method of payment.
Hootsuite does not accept checks, debit, prepaid cards, wire transfers, or Paypal eCheck.
Does Hootsuite offer discounts for nonprofit organizations?
Discounts are available for nonprofit organizations. See Hootsuite for nonprofits.
Why am I receiving an invoice after downgrading to a Free plan?
When you switch your Hootsuite account from a paid plan to a free plan, we send a final invoice (a Settlement of Accounts). We send this to the email address associated with the Hootsuite account.
Hootsuite generates the final invoice to give the account holder the following:
- A record of transactions that occurred after the plan switch and within the last 30 days, such as late payments.
- Confirmation you have settled the account and have a $0 balance.
What should I do if my payment doesn't go through?
If your payment transaction is declined and your payment method (credit card, for example) is in good standing, you should contact your financial institution.
You can also update your payment information to have Hootsuite process a new form of payment (see Manage your Hootsuite plan and account).
Is my Hootsuite account subject to tax?
Hootsuite collects requisite taxes on paid plans in the following jurisdictions. Your account billing address determines your tax rate. We add tax as a separate line item on your Hootsuite invoice.
Canada sales tax
- All provinces and territories of Canada are subject to the applicable sales tax.
- Canadian tax registration numbers (PST, GST, and QST) appear on Hootsuite invoices.
- PST 1013-0924
- GST 84250-7261
- QST 1221199690
USA sales tax
- Arizona, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, and West Virginia are subject to the applicable state sales tax.
- Hootsuite is an Incorporated company based out of Canada. The W-8BEN form should be used with the IRS, instead of the W9 form. American individuals or companies that need a W-8BEN form can download a signed one here: W-8BEN-E.
Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore sales tax
- All states, regions, and territories of Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore are subject to the applicable sales tax.
EU, UK, Norway, South Africa, and Switzerland VAT
- Hootsuite applies the local standard Value-Added Tax (VAT) rate for each European Union country, Norway, South Africa, and Switzerland.
- Hootsuite’s Simplified Scheme Reference Number (instead of a VAT number), is EU372016096.
- Hootsuite's VAT number in United Kingdom is 379 0616 70.
- Hootsuite's VAT number in Norway is 2018934.
- Billing addresses in countries where VAT is applicable incur standard VAT charges on their Hootsuite invoices. Enter your VAT number to have VAT excluded from future invoices. See Manage your Hootsuite invoices for instruction.
Note: We understand that sales tax legislation is subject to periodic change. Hootsuite reviews our sales tax compliance obligations to keep up with changes. We may change our application of sales tax as required by law, in accordance with the Terms of Service.
Our organization has a tax-exempt number. How do I update our invoice?
You cannot manually update accounts to include tax-exempt numbers. Please contact our support team and we will update your account for you.
How can I get help resolving a billing issue?
Please contact our support team. Include your Hootsuite account email and a description of the billing issue you are experiencing.
If you do not know the email address associated with the Hootsuite account being charged, please include the following details when you reach out to us. This will help us locate the account and help you resolve the issue as fast as possible.
- PayPal Billing Agreement ID, charge amount, and date
- Credit card type, charge amount, and date
- Hootsuite invoice number
- Email address(es) that you may have used to create the account, or the email domain (for email@example.com)
- Full name of the account owner
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help