Article updated: March 19, 2023
Create a dynamic product ad campaign
You can create a Dynamic Product Ad (DPA) campaign in Hootsuite Ads to promote an entire product catalog without having to create individual ads for each item. DPA campaigns sync with your product catalog to deliver the most relevant ads to your audience.
DPAs are most powerful when you use them in conjunction with Facebook pixels on your website. E-commerce and retailers with high web traffic can use DPA campaigns to re-engage their shoppers and drive conversions. Using audience interest data from your site, you can cross-sell or retarget audiences, no matter what device they're on.
For more information, see Facebook's help article about Dynamic ads.
Important: Before you can create a DPA campaign in Hootsuite Ads, you must upload your product catalog to your Facebook ads account, and enable two-factor authentication on your Facebook account.
Create a Dynamic Product Ad campaign
- On the Hootsuite Ads home page, select New campaign.
- On the Facebook tab, enter a name for your campaign and select an ad account.
- In the What do you want to promote? section, select Dynamic Product Ad, and then select Proceed.
- On the Ads Design page, select a Facebook page and a Product Catalog.
- Select an existing Product Set to promote from the catalog selected, or select Create Product Set to build a new product set from your product catalog.
- Optional: Select Add (+) to run a split test on product subsets of your catalog.
- Complete the following fields to create your ad template:
- URL : Enter your website URL as default (including the http:// or https:// prefix). This URL is overwritten in each ad by the product URL contained in your catalog feed. You must specify a default URL in case of redirects.
- Ad Text, Headline, Link Description, Call To Action (optional)
Click Insert Placeholder to pull applicable text for each ad from fields in your product catalog file. Remember that Hootsuite Ads uses this template to create ads for all of your products, so keep text generic, and applicable to all products.
- In the Placement & Previews section, select your ad placement options.
- In the Goal Tracking section, select how you want to measure goal conversions for your campaign, and then select Proceed.
- On the Audience page, you can select a New Audience, Retargeting, or Cross/Up selling.
- Retargeting: Select a product audience from the Included list, or select Create new product audience, and select the audience you want to retarget based on the actions they take on your website.
- Cross/Up Selling: Select a product audience from the Included list, and then select a Product Set that this audience has already viewed or purchased from.
- Refine your audience further as required, and then select Proceed to complete your campaign set up as usual.
Manage product catalogs
You can view the product catalogs associated with each of your ad accounts in Hootsuite Ads. You can rename your product catalogs and sets, and create new product sets.
What is a product catalog?
A product catalog is a structured data file (CSV or XML) that contains an inventory list. Each row in the file contains columns of attributes that define a single product (for example, a name, description, product image, product URL, price, or number in stock).
Many businesses already use product catalogs, sometimes called product feeds, to advertise their products online. Facebook product catalogs are backwards compatible with industry formats that marketers already use. This means existing feeds can be easily exported and uploaded to Facebook.
For more information, see these Facebook help articles:
- How to create a product catalog and upload it to your Facebook ad account
- Creating a product catalog from scratch (technical)
- Facebook's best practices for DPAs
- Facebook's product feed debug tool
Manage a product catalog
- On the Hootsuite Ads home page, select Tools, and then select Product catalogs from the list.
- Select an ad account from the list at the top of the page.
- Select Select Product Catalog, and then choose a catalog from the list.
- Select Add Product Set to create a new product set.
- Select Rename to rename a product catalog or set.
- Select New Catalog to create a new product catalog. Hootsuite Ads redirects you to your Facebook ad account to create the catalog.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help