Article updated: June 28, 2023
Design images with Canva
Create eye-catching images with Canva and simplify your content creation process. With Canva in Hootsuite, you can use templates made for social media and save time bringing your ideas to life.
Create an image in Canva
Create images in Canva that grab your audience’s attention. Your posts can contain multiple images made in Canva, as well as images that you’ve uploaded or added from the media library.
- Start your post from Composer or Planner. Select one of the following options:
- Select Composer.
- Go to your content calendar in Planner , select the week view , select a time or recommended time to schedule your post, and then select Post. Learn about scheduling posts in a content calendar.
- In the Content area, select Design with Canva.
- Choose a template type. Templates help set the size and shape of the image, but you can use most of them for any post. See Template dimensions later in this article.
- The first time you use Canva in Hootsuite, you’ll need to sign up for Canva (for free) or log in to an existing Canva account.
- In the Canva editor, design your image! See Canva’s help center for instructions on designing in Canva.
If you already have designs in your Canva account that you want to use, select More and then Folders to find them.
Note: In a Free Canva account, Canva will prompt you to pay to use any elements that have criss-cross watermarks. If you don’t want to pay, choose a different element before trying to add your image to your post.
- When you’re finished, select Add to post.
When you create or update images with Canva in Hootsuite, they are not saved to your Canva account. Closing Canva without selecting Add to post discards your image.
Point to the Canva image thumbnail and then select Alt to add alt text to the image and make it more accessible. See Add alt text to images for more details.
Edit a Canva image
Edit your Canva images in Canva or Hootsuite’s image editor. Only images you created with Canva in Hootsuite can be edited in Canva. You can also edit Canva images in Hootsuite’s image editor, but once you do, you can no longer edit it in Canva.
- When composing a new post, or editing scheduled or draft content, point to an image thumbnail and then select Edit in Canva.
If you don’t see this option, the image was either not created in Canva, or it was changed outside of Canva and can no longer be edited there.
- Edit the image, and then select Add to post.
The following table lists the dimensions of the Canva template types in Composer. Unless noted differently, you can publish any of these template sizes to any of your social accounts.
Learn about image file requirements for each social network.
|Blog Banner||2240 px x 1260 px|
|Facebook Ad||1600 px x 900 px|
|Facebook App Ad||810 px x 450 px|
|Facebook Cover||1640 px x 924 px|
|Facebook Event Cover||1920 px x 1080 px|
|Facebook Post||940 px x 788 px|
|Infographic||800 px x 2000px (not compatible with Instagram direct publishing)|
|Instagram Post||1080 px x 1080 px|
|Instagram Story||1080 px x 1920 px|
|LinkedIn Banner||1584 px x 396 px (not compatible with Instagram direct publishing)|
|Pinterest Graphic||1000 px x 1500 px (not compatible with Instagram direct publishing)|
|Social Media||1080 px x 1080 px|
|Twitter Post||1600 px x 900 px|
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help