Article updated: March 24, 2022
Report on your ad and campaign performance
Track and analyze the effectiveness of your ads and campaigns using our built-in Ad Analytics reports. You can create, customize, share, and schedule exports of your reports on your Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter ad performance.
Plans: You must be a Business or Enterprise plan member with Impact to access this feature.
Create an ad performance report
Hootsuite provides a variety of built-in report templates to measure engagement and results for your ads and campaigns.
The report templates help you see how your ad campaigns contribute to your business goals. Each template tracks specific metrics that most closely match three key stages in the customer journey (that is, the stages that people go through when interacting with your brand):
- Awareness: How many people have viewed your ads.
- Consumption: How many people have engaged with your ads.
- Intent: How many people have taken an action (visited your website or online shop, or signed up for your newsletter) after seeing your ads.
- Go to Analytics.
- If the Analytics navigation is not visible, select Expand navigation, and then select New report.
- Select Ad Analytics to view all available template reports. You can select from the following reports:
- Facebook and Instagram ads awareness
- Facebook and Instagram ads consumption
- Facebook and Instagram ads intent
- LinkedIn ads awareness
- LinkedIn ads consumption
- LinkedIn ads intent
- Twitter ads awareness
- Twitter ads consumption
- Twitter ads intent
To learn more about creating Analytics reports, see Create a new report in Analytics.
Customize your report
Edit the report templates to display the data that matters to you. For example, you can track and analyze ad and campaign results for a specific date range. You can also add, compare, filter, and remove accounts and metrics from your report.
Open an ad performance report and start customizing it.
Analyze your ad performance for a specific time frame or track performance trends over time by comparing data for two time frames. For example, you may want to compare results from your August 1 - August 14, 2020 ad campaign to your August 1 - August 14, 2021 ad campaign.
- Select the date picker at the top of the page.
- To display a date range, select a date range option, and then select Set.
- To compare two time frames, select a date range, and then select Compare with another period. Next, select the "compared to" date range, and then select Set.
Note: When you select a date range for ad accounts, Analytics displays the results your ads and campaigns generated during that time period, regardless of when they were created. For social accounts, Analytics displays results only for content published during that time frame.
To remove a comparison, open the date picker, select the X next to the "compared to" date range, and then select Set.
For detailed instructions on configuring reports, see View an Analytics report.
Choose the accounts you want to report on.
- Select Social accounts to search for and select one or more accounts.
- Select Apply.
You can add more metrics to your report to track the results that matter to you. A single report displays up to 100 metric tiles.
- Select Add metric to open the Metrics library.
- Select the Ad analytics tab.
- Select Facebook & Instagram ads, LinkedIn ads, or Twitter ads to browse for a metric. You can also use the search bar to search for specific metrics. For a description of each metric, see the Ad analytics metrics library.
- Once you've chosen a metric, you can customize the tile before adding it to your report. Select Customize to enter a new title for the tile or select a compare or sort by option. You can also change the visualization type (see Explore ways to visualize your data) or choose a different size for your tile. If you don’t see your data, increase your tile size.
- Add the metric to your report. When you add a metric to your report, the Metrics library remains open so you can select more metrics. When you have finished adding metrics, close the Add a new metric window.
You can also add organic metrics if you want to compare organic and ad results side by side. Select Add metric, select the Impact tab, and then select Facebook,Instagram Business, LinkedIn, or Twitter to view and add organic metrics to your report.
To remove a metric from the report, select Configure tile, and then select Delete.
Apply filters to metrics tiles to display results for specific accounts, ads, or campaigns.
- Select Configure tile on a metric tile, and then select from the following options:
- Select Properties, and then select to compare results by social account, tag, campaign, ad type, and more.
- Select Data to filter results by social account, tag, campaign, status, ad type, and more.
When you’re ready to share or schedule an email export of your ad performance report, see:
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help