You can create, publish, and manage your Facebook content with Hootsuite. When you create a post, you can:
- Attach images, GIFs, and videos
- Edit and apply filters to your images
- Specify the audience who can view your content
- Choose whether to publish your post right away or to schedule it for a specific day and time
- Promote your Facebook post to reach a wider audience
Note: Before you begin, make sure you’ve already added a Facebook Page or group to Hootsuite. To learn more, see Add a Facebook account to Hootsuite.
To create a Facebook post
- Select New Post in the top right.
Business and Enterprise organizations: Select your organization, and then select Select campaign to associate your post with a current or future campaign.
- Select the Facebook Page or group you'd like to publish to under Post to.
- In the Text area, enter your post text, tags, and emojis.
- The character count is displayed as you compose your message.
- To mention/tag a user or Page, enter @ followed by the user or Page name, and then select an option from the list. To learn more, see Mention (link to) a user or Page in your post.
- Select the smiley face in the bottom left to add emojis.
- Optionally, add a link. A link preview appears on the right.
Can’t see a link preview? See Link previews and troubleshooting.
- To shorten a link, select Shorten with Ow.ly. All included links are shortened automatically. The full links remain visible in the New Post area while the post preview on the right displays the shortened links.
- To add link tracking parameters, select Add tracking, select Ow.ly, and then select Custom. Enter your campaign name, type, and value, and then select Apply.
- Add one or more images, a GIF, or a video to your post by using one of the following options:
- Drag and drop files from your computer into the Media area.
- Select the select files to upload link.
- Select Open Media Library, and then select Free Images or GIPHY from the drop-down. Select a media file, and then select Close Media Library.
Business and Enterprise organizations: Select Content Library Images from the drop-down to select an image from your pre-approved media files.
Note: Uploading multiple images results in one post containing all the images. You can drag them within the list to reorder them in your posts.
Images attached to a Facebook Page post are uploaded to the Timeline Photos album by default. Select Timeline Photos under the image thumbnails to select a different album to upload images to, or select New album to create a new one. When publishing on Facebook groups, there is no option to select a photo album, so each image will be posted separately.
- To edit an image, add filters or make other adjustments to it, select Edit image under the image.
- To edit alt text, select Edit Alt-text. Enter the alt text description of the image, and then select Apply. The character limit for Facebook is 500 characters. Alt text is not supported for animated GIFs or videos.
- Optional: If you’ve uploaded a video, select Edit video details to:
- Edit the video thumbnail. Select a thumbnail preview, or select Add a new thumbnail to upload your own.
- Enter a video title that is visible when the video is selected for viewing.
- Add captions to your videos. Drag and drop .srt files from your computer into the Subtitles area or select the select an .srt file to upload link to upload your SubRip Subtitle file (SRT file). Select Done. One SRT file can be uploaded per post. Files must be saved with the following naming convention to upload successfully: filename.[language code]_[country code].srt. Example: hypevideo.es_ES.srt Refer to this list of valid language and country codes.
To learn more about adding media files, see:
- Requirements and options for posting and editing images
- Requirements and processing times for posting videos
Note: To select other options, such as promoting your post and adding tags, location, or a specific audience, see More options.
To publish a Facebook post
When you’re finished creating your post, review it in the preview on the right to see how it will look on your Facebook Page or group. If the Composer detects any issues with the post, you'll be alerted with a contextual error. To learn more, see Preview a post.
- To publish the post right away, select Post Now on the bottom right of the Composer. If your message is published successfully, Hootsuite displays a confirmation message at the top of the screen.
- To schedule your post, select Schedule for later on the bottom right of the Composer, and then select a date and time to publish the post. Select Done, and then select Schedule.
If you want to remain in the Composer to create, publish, or schedule another post, select the drop-down arrow next to Post Now (or Schedule) and then select one of the following options:
- Select Post and Reuse Networks (or Schedule and Reuse Networks) if you want to publish or schedule your post and create another one immediately after. The Composer resets all fields except the selected Facebook Pages or groups for you to begin creating your next post.
- Select Post and Duplicate (or Schedule and Duplicate) if you want to publish or schedule your post and then retain it to edit and create a new, similar post, with a unique post ID. The Composer retains all elements of the previous post, except promoted ad spend.
Note: Professional, Team, Business, and Enterprise customers can also set posts to automatically publish when there are gaps in your scheduled content. See Schedule posts with AutoSchedule.
For more information on how to schedule your content, see Overview: Schedule posts with Hootsuite.
When you create your post, you can also take advantage of additional options to promote your post, add a physical location, and select the specific audience who can see your post.
To promote a post
Select Promote this post under Promotion to boost your post on Facebook. To learn more, see Boost Facebook page posts.
To apply a tag
Business and Enterprise organizations: Select Edit next to Tags to apply tags to your posts and analyze their performance in Hootsuite Analytics. Select the tags to add to your post, and then select Apply Tags. To learn more, see Tag outbound posts.
To add a location
Select Add next to Location to add a physical location (sometimes called a geotag) to the post. Enter a location, select one from the results that populate, and then select Apply.
To specify targeting for a post
Select Add next to Facebook Audience Restrictions to select who you’d like to see your post. Select age, country, region, city, ZIP, and postal codes, and then select Apply.