Hootsuite Inbox can help you work with others in your organization to manage conversations with audiences and customers across social channels in a single place.
Plans: Professional, Team, Business, Enterprise
The information in this article applies to:
- Facebook Page private messages
- Comments and replies on your public Facebook Page posts
- Visitor posts to your Facebook Page, their comments, and replies
- Twitter direct messages
- Comments and replies on your LinkedIn Page and Showcase Page posts
Note: If you haven’t used Inbox before, read Overview: Manage engagement using Inbox to learn more before you begin.
To learn more about the difference between Inbox and Assignments, see Decide when to use Inbox and Assignments.
In this article:
- Go to Inbox .
Customers in multiple organizations can select an organization from the drop-down in the top right.
- Review messages in the Unassigned queue (Incoming for Professional plans). Each message is labeled with the social network and profile of the sender and the time it was received.
Tip: New messages appear in chronological order with the newest at the top. To reverse the sort order, select the arrow at the top of the queue.
- Select a message in the list to open the full conversation thread on the right.
- Select the sender’s name at the top of the thread to open the context panel, where you’ll find additional profile information, depending on the social network:
- Facebook and LinkedIn profiles display name and profile picture. (If a LinkedIn user has Profile visibility off LinkedIn disabled in their LinkedIn settings, they appear in Inbox as “Private User”.)
- Twitter profiles display name, profile picture, bio, location, and account information.
- (Enterprise customers only) Select Add note below a user’s profile in the context panel to add internal details about your brand's interactions with them, up to 2,000 characters.
- All members within the same organization can view profile notes.
- Only the note creator can edit a note.
- The note creator and all admins can delete notes.
- (Enterprise customers only) Select the Interactions tab to review all conversations between you and the user or profile for the past six months. Interaction history includes Twitter direct mentions, @mentions, and replies, and Facebook Page visitor posts and public comments and replies on a Page.
- Conversations in Inbox are maintained in threads unique to each person you engage with, so that prior interactions are visible for context with each new message.
- For LinkedIn and Facebook comments and replies, a thread is created for each post that someone comments on, showing the conversation between your Page and that person below the original post.
- Comments and replies on original posts that contain videos do not appear in Inbox.
Select Filters to view specific messages in your Inbox. You can apply any combination of the following filters:
- Social Network Messages from specific social profiles only
- Message Type Private or public messages
- Assigned To Messages assigned to specific teams or team members
The Filter icon is blue while a filter is applied. Select Clear all filters to remove them.
Reply, moderate, or dismiss conversations
To reply to a message
- Select a message in the list to open the full conversation thread on the right. If the message is a continuation of a prior conversation, you'll see which team members have replied to the user.
- Enter your message at the bottom of the thread, and then select Send.
LinkedIn and Facebook Page activity display the original post being commented on, for context.
Note: After seven days with no engagement on a Facebook private message, you will no longer be able to reply to that message (although you can still see the message in Inbox). Each time the customer responds to you in Messenger, the seven-day time frame restarts.
This policy, required by Facebook, is designed to protect the customer experience by encouraging timely responses and limiting the amount of spam customers can receive from brands they’ve interacted with.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, Facebook has temporarily extended this time frame to 21 days until July 15, 2020.
To delete unassigned offensive or spam comments from your Page posts
- Select the 3 dots to the right of the comment, and then select Delete.
To dismiss an unassigned message and move it to the Done queue
- Select Dismiss , either in the top right of the thread, or by hovering over the message in the list and selecting Dismiss.
To dismiss unassigned messages in bulk
- Select the box at the top of the list to select all messages, or hover over each profile picture to the left of each message and select the boxes individually.
- Select Dismiss in the top right of Inbox.
To transition Public Facebook comments to private messages
- In the thread, select Message, and then type your reply.
Note that this option is available only for public comments from profiles (not Pages).
Tag messages or comments
Business and Enterprise customers can select Add Tags under each individual message to classify them, for analysis later within Analytics.
When a tag has been applied at least 10 times, Inbox automatically associates the tag with message text and recommends it as a suggested tag when you select Add Tags.
To assign a message to someone and have a notification message sent to them (if their notification settings allow it):
- Select Assign in the top right of the thread.
- In the Assign to box, select yourself, a team, or another team member (Team, Business, and Enterprise plans).
Tip: You can quickly assign messages to yourself by hovering over them in the message list and selecting Assign to me right there.
- Optionally, enter a note in the Notes box to provide guidance on how to handle the message or for a record of the interaction. These notes are only visible within Inbox and appear in the message thread.
Assigned messages move from the Unassigned queue into either Assigned (assigned to any teams you are a member of) or Assigned to Me (assigned specifically to you). If your organization has automated assignments running, messages appear in these queues automatically instead of in the Unassigned queue.
When an assigned message has been replied to, select Resolve in the top-right corner of the thread. This moves the thread out of Assigned and into Done.
Conversations can be re-opened and returned to the Unassigned queue in two ways:
- A customer responds to a thread in the Done queue.
- You select Reopen on a dismissed message in the Done queue.