Create an Instagram story
With the Instagram story composer, you can manage your entire digital marketing plan in one place. Business and Enterprise plan members can use content libraries to ensure their story content is on-brand.
Go to Create new post , and then select Instagram story to prepare your story, schedule it in advance, and see it along with your other scheduled posts in the Publisher , Planner view.
To publish, Instagram stories use the mobile notification workflow. You or a team member will receive a push notification to your Hootsuite mobile app. Your prepared story, including all media files, is sent to your mobile device for you to publish via the Instagram app.
By completing the workflow in Instagram, you keep full control over the look of your story with access to the latest Instagram featured sticker types and the ability to add final touches like filters and tags.
Note: This publishing method is an Instagram limitation for all third-party tools.
Plans: Professional, Team, Business, Enterprise
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already done the following:
- Added an Instagram account to Hootsuite.
- Turned on your mobile publishing notifications in your Hootsuite mobile app. See Enable Instagram publishing notifications.
Create an Instagram story
- Point to Create new post, and then select Instagram story.
- Select Select a social account, and then select your Instagram profile.
- Select select files to upload to attach up to 10 images or videos to your story.
You can also select Open media library to add free stock images, other image assets from your media library apps. Enterprise plan members can access images from their content library.
Note: The maximum file size for images is 5MB, and maximum video length is 60 seconds.
- Optionally, select Edit image below each image to make edits to adjust the aspect ratio or add text or stickers. You can also edit your images using the Instagram app. See Work with images.
- Review your story using the preview on the right. You can move your assets in the list on the left to reorder them.
Note: Previews aren’t supported for .mov files.
- In the Clipboard text box, enter text and links for your story. Clipboard text is sent to your device via a push notification, and copied to your device clipboard. When you add your final touches in Instagram, you'll have easy access to paste in your captions and create swipe up links.
Note: To access the swipe up link feature, your Instagram account needs to be verified or be a business account with at least 10,000 followers.
- Select Add next to Notes for the publisher to enter additional guidance or instructions to the person who will be publishing the story on Instagram.
- Select Post now, or select Schedule for later, select a date and time, select Done, and then select Schedule. Stories can also be saved as drafts.
If you get the error, "Your Instagram account requires a paired device," it means that no one has push notifications enabled in their Hootsuite app for the Instagram account you are sending content to. Enable notifications, and then try again.
Publish an Instagram story
When it’s time to publish (either right away or at the scheduled time), all devices that have enabled notifications for the social account in the Hootsuite mobile app receive a notification. From here, any team member with publishing permissions and login credentials for the social account can open and publish the story in Instagram.
- To open the notification in your Hootsuite mobile app, go to Streams , and then select Notifications .
- Select the new publishing notification.
- Select Open in Instagram. Your caption text and links are copied to your clipboard and the Instagram app opens.
Important: Hootsuite does not detect which Instagram profile is signed in to your Instagram app. If you publish to more than one Instagram account, ensure that you are signed in to the Instagram app with the same profile you selected in Hootsuite, so that you publish the story to the correct account.
- In the Instagram app, select the Camera.
- Select the camera roll image to open the story assets saved on your device.
- If your story has more than one asset, select the multiple option so that you can select them all, and then select Next.
When more than one user receives an Instagram notification in the Hootsuite app, select the notification to see if it has already been actioned. The Open in Instagram button will change to Opened by (name) if the story has already been opened in the Instagram app.
Select Opened by (name) to mark the post as not opened or to open it again.