Troubleshoot an Instagram business connection
When connecting an Instagram business profile to Hootsuite, you may encounter one of the following errors. Follow the steps in this article to resolve these issues.
Facebook Page permission error
“Sorry, you need to be an Admin or Editor of the connected Facebook page”
To resolve this issue, do the following:
- Confirm that you have logged into the correct Facebook account.
- Confirm that your Facebook account is set as an Admin or Editor of the Facebook Page associated with the Instagram business profile you are trying to add to Hootsuite. See How do I see what my role is on a Facebook Page? and Manage Page Settings.
Can't find a connected Facebook Page
“Is this the Instagram account you want to connect?”
This notification appears when Hootsuite can't find connection between your Instagram account and Facebook Page. Follow the prompts to verify that you're signed in to the right Instagram account and Facebook account, and that the connection between the two is established.
If you get to the final screen in the troubleshooting flow, you'll see: "It looks like this account isn't connected to a Facebook page." Use the following steps to resolve the issue.
- Confirm that you have logged into the correct Facebook account associated with the Instagram business profile.
- Verify that you Facebook Page is connected to your Instagram profile. See the Facebook help article How do I connect my Facebook Page and Instagram account in the Manage Page Settings section.
- If the accounts are connected, confirm that you’ve granted Hootsuite full permissions to that Facebook Page. Check and, if needed, edit the business features that can be managed by Hootsuite in your Facebook settings. See the Facebook help article How do I edit the privacy settings for my business integrations?
Once you've completed the above troubleshooting steps, return to Hootsuite to resume setup of your Instagram profile.
Connecting to the wrong Instagram account
Hootsuite automatically connects to any social accounts you’re currently signed in to, so you may not always be asked for a specific email and password. For example, you may have signed in to Facebook and then closed your browser tab or window without signing out. When you do this and then sign in to Hootsuite, Hootsuite automatically detects and connects to that Facebook account.
Unfortunately, we don’t have a way of signing you out of each account automatically, so you may keep seeing your original Instagram account when you try to add or reconnect a second Instagram account to Hootsuite.
To resolve this issue, do the following:
- Open a new browser tab or window.
- Navigate to Instagram.com and sign out.
- Navigate to Facebook.com and sign out.
- Return to Hootsuite and add or reconnect your Instagram account.
- Repeat steps 1 - 4 before adding or reconnecting each new Instagram account.
Refresh your Instagram/Facebook connection
If you’ve used the previous troubleshooting steps to confirm which Facebook Page is associated with the Instagram business profile you’re adding to Hootsuite, and confirm that the Facebook user you’re authenticating with in Hootsuite is an Admin or Editor of that Page, there is likely an issue with the connection between your Instagram profile and Facebook Page.
Use the following steps to refresh the connection:
Important: This procedure disconnects Hootsuite from all Facebook profiles, groups, and Pages authenticated with the same credentials. It requires reconnecting each one.
- Remove Hootsuite from your business integration settings in Facebook For instruction, see the Facebook help article How do I edit the privacy and settings for my business integrations or remove them from Facebook?
- Remove your Instagram account from your Facebook Page and then re-add it. For instruction, see the Facebook help article Add or remove an Instagram account from your Facebook Page.
If your Instagram business profile is not currently added to Hootsuite, see Add an Instagram account.
If your Instagram business profile is added to Hootsuite, see Enable full Instagram functionality.