Create a Google Ads search campaign
Create and manage Google Ads campaigns alongside your Facebook campaigns in Hootsuite Ads. Hootsuite Ads supports the creation of search ad campaigns, and responsive display ad campaigns.
To connect a Google Ads account
The first step is to connect your Google Ads account to Hootsuite Ads. Each Hootsuite Ads user can connect one Google account, but more than one Google Ads account can be imported and used if they are connected to that same Google account. Note that AdWords Express/Smart accounts are not supported. More details
- Click Settings in the top-right corner of the dashboard.
- Click the Google Ads Ad Accounts tab.
- Click Connect Google Ads.
- Sign in to your Google account and authorize the connection.
Creating a Google search ad campaign
Step 1 - Create Campaign
- Click New campaign on the main navigation bar.
- Click Google Ads. You will be prompted to connect your Google Ads account to Hootsuite Ads if it isn’t already.
- Enter a campaign name, select a Google billing account, and then click Save and proceed.
The Search Ads campaign type has an Open Goal by default. To add a goal to your campaign, you can edit it in Google Ads once the campaign is published.
Step 2 - Campaign Settings
- Select one or more networks where your ads will be displayed. The Google Search Network is always selected by default.
- Enter one or more geographic locations to include or exclude in your ad targeting. Enter a country, city, region, postal code, or address. Addresses can include a radius in km or mi from the address.
- Enter one or more languages to target with your ads.
- Enter an average daily budget.
- Select a start and end date (optional) for your campaign. If no end date is specified, the campaign will run indefinitely.
- Select a bidding strategy from the drop-down.
- Add between 2 and 6 sitelink extensions and/or between 2 and 10 callout extensions to your campaign. More info
- Click Save and proceed.
Step 3 - Set up Ad groups & Ads
- Enter a name for the ad group.
- Enter keywords that can surface your ads. Press Enter between each keyword to add one keyword per line. Use match types to control the search terms that can trigger your ads. More info
- Broad match - your ads may show where searches include your keywords, related keywords, or close variations like synonyms and misspellings. Example: tennis shoes.
- Broad match modifier - similar to broad match, your ads may show where searches include your keywords designated with a plus sign or close variations. Example: +tennis, +shoes.
- Phrase match - your ads may show where searches include exact phrases and close variations. Example: “tennis shoes”.
- Exact match - your ads may show where searches include exact keywords and close variations. Example: [tennis shoes].
- Negative match - your ads will not show where searches include your negative keywords. Example: -tennis.
- Click Advanced options to select an ads rotation strategy. More info
- Click Create Ads.
- Enter a destination URL, Headline 1, Headline 2, Headline 3 (optional), Description, Description 2 (optional), and Display path (optional) for each ad. Click the plus icon to add variations of each ad component.
- When you’re finished creating ads, click Save, and then review all your ad variations.
- Hover over each variation, click the three dots and then click Edit or Remove to modify or delete a specific ad variation.
- Optional: Click Add Ad Group and repeat steps 1-6 if you want to add another ad group to the campaign.
- Click Save and proceed.
Step 4 - Review & Publish
- Review the summary of your campaign along the right, and then click Publish to Google Ads.
Your campaign will be sent to Google for review and publishing. Ensure your ads comply with Google's advertising policies.
Monitor your campaign’s results in the campaign dashboard. Click Your Campaigns on the main navigation bar, and then select the Google Ads campaign from the drop-down menu.
Edit or delete ads from the All Ads tab of the campaign, and delete ad groups from the Ad Groups tab. Any other changes to your campaign can be made in your Google Ads account natively and they will be synced to Hootsuite Ads.