You can schedule posts in bulk with the Bulk Composer. Upload a CSV file of prepared content, then schedule multiple posts with one click, or preview, edit, and schedule them individually.
Plans: Professional, Team, Business, Enterprise
The bulk scheduling tool alerts you to any errors found in specific posts, so you can quickly fix the issues or discard individual posts. Use the Bulk Composer to create posts for Twitter, Instagram, Facebook Pages and groups, and LinkedIn Pages and profiles.
After you upload your post file, the Bulk Composer also lets you add images and videos to your posts and customize link previews before scheduling.
Prepare a bulk post file
A maximum of 350 posts can be scheduled at a time. This could be 350 posts to 1 social account, or 50 posts to 7 social accounts. However, any posts already scheduled for those social accounts in your dashboard need to be subtracted from the 350.
For example, if there are 100 posts already scheduled to your Twitter profile, you could bulk upload 250 more posts to it. There is no limit to the number of posts that can be manually scheduled in addition to the 350 after bulk uploading.
To prepare a bulk post file
- Go to Publisher , then Content.
- If it's your first time using the Bulk Composer, select Try Bulk Composer BETA, then Try it now.
- If you've used the new Bulk Composer before, select Bulk Composer under Content Sources.
- Select Download example on the right of the Composer to start with a sample CSV file.
- Open the sample file in Google Sheets or any other program that exports files in .csv format.
- Populate the file with your own content according to the following rules, and then save or export as a CSV file.
- Column A: Date and time (24-hour time) - The accepted date formats are below. Use one format exclusively throughout:
- day/month/year hour:minute
- month/day/year hour:minute
- year/month/day hour:minute
- year/day/month hour:minute
- Column B: Your post - Twitter has a limit of 280 characters, including the URL (which reserves at most 23 characters).
- Column C: URL (optional) – enter the full URL. You can choose to have these automatically shortened to Ow.ly links.
- Times must be set in the future (at least 10 minutes from upload time).
- Posting times must end in either a 5 or a 0. For example, 10:45 or 10:50. Define only one post per time slot.
- Duplicate posts are not allowed.
Important: Microsoft Excel can cause errors by converting years into YY format instead of the required YYYY when it exports to CSV. If you only have Excel available, make sure the date column’s formatting is set to General and not Date.
Schedule with the Bulk Composer
Using the Bulk Composer involves four steps: upload your posts, review and fix any errors, edit and customize your posts individually, and then schedule.
Upload posts in bulk
- Go to Publisher .
- Under Content Sources, select Bulk Composer.
- Select Select File to Upload, select your CSV file, and then select Open.
- Select the social network(s) to publish the posts to. Only one Twitter profile can be selected at a time.
Users who belong to more than one organization can select one in the top left to view the social networks for that organization.
- Optional: Select Do not shorten links to preserve your URL and not have it shorten to an ow.ly link.
- Select Next: Review Messages.
Review and fix errors
If the Bulk Composer detects any errors in your uploaded posts, those posts are listed with a red banner explaining the issue. Select a post on the left to edit it on the right. A post cannot be scheduled until the issue is fixed. Alternatively, select more on the post and then Discard to delete it.
When errors are fixed, the red banners disappear. Note that posts may contain more than one error.
Edit and customize
If your posts are ready to go, select Schedule all messages, or select posts individually to review and edit them before scheduling.
Select a post from the list to:
- Edit the post text.
- Select Preview in the top right to see how the post will look on each social network.
- Go to Select files to upload/Replace link preview with media and add an image or video.
- Select Customize on the link preview to remove or customize the link preview image, or edit the link title or description, and then select Save.
- Select the scheduled time at the bottom of the post to edit the scheduled time.
To edit the social accounts the post is being published to, or the links included in the post, edit the post in the Publisher section after it is scheduled.
In the editing pane, select Schedule in the bottom right to schedule a post individually. You can also deselect any posts in the list and then select Schedule all messages.
Alternatively, bulk select posts in the list by selecting the checkbox to the left of each social account icon, and then select Schedule Selected or Discard Selected in the top right.
After all your posts are scheduled, select View Scheduled Messages to customize them further in Publisher under Scheduled. Filter your scheduled posts by profile to edit scheduled posts by social account.
To exit the Bulk Composer, select the X in the top right. Any posts that have not been scheduled when you leave the Bulk Composer will be discarded.