Attract increased engagement on your profiles with social video. Publish or schedule videos to Twitter profiles, Facebook Pages, Facebook groups, LinkedIn Pages, and Instagram profiles.
To publish YouTube videos, see Publish or schedule a video to YouTube.
In this article:
Publishing video to Instagram
Instagram profiles use different publishing workflows depending on their type:
- Business profiles: With direct publishing enabled, you can publish videos to Instagram with the steps below, just like any other social network.
- Personal profiles: Video publishing uses the mobile notification workflow, which requires the Instagram and Hootsuite apps installed on your mobile device. See Mobile notification workflow for more details.
Also please note that IGTV videos are not supported.
Video file requirements
Each social network has unique video file requirements. These include, for example, limits on file size and aspect ratio. When you publish a video natively, the social networks automatically optimize it to fit their own requirements. Publishing successfully through APIs requires strict compliance to these requirements.
If you have a Hootsuite Professional, Team, Business, or Enterprise plan, Hootsuite’s transcoding feature will take care of video width, height, and bitrate for you. Ensure videos meet all other requirements before uploading them to the Composer. Free and Legacy Pro users must ensure their videos meet all file requirements.
Transcoding can have a minor effect on the sharpness of Instagram images.
The Hootsuite mobile app also encodes uploaded video to fit each social network's video requirements. You don't have to worry about formatting them yourself.
|Web formats||mp4, mov||mp4, mov||mp4, mov||mp4, mov||mp4, mov|
|File size||512 MB||n/a||100 MB||1 GB||512 MB|
|Length||0.5 - 140 sec||3 - 60 sec||3 - 60 sec||1 sec - 20 min||3 sec - 10 min|
|Width||32 - 1280||n/a||1920 max||n/a||4096 max|
|Height||32 - 1024||n/a||n/a||n/a||2304 max|
|Aspect ratio||Between 1:3 and 3:1||n/a||Between 4:5 and 16:9||Between 16:9 and 9:16||Between 1:2.4 and 2.4:1|
|Bitrate||25Mbps||n/a||5 Mbps||n/a||30 Mbps|
|Audio||Mono or stereo|
|Recommended codecs||Audio: AAC LC
Video: H264 High profile
To publish a video
Note that LinkedIn requires video to be accompanied by text, but videos can be shared on their own to the other social networks. Videos published to Facebook Pages are also added to the video library of that Page.
- In the Composer, under Media, click select files to upload.
- Select the video file from your device and then click Open. When the video has finished processing, review any errors that may appear in the post preview, and make any necessary changes.
- Facebook Pages: Click Edit video details, and then select a thumbnail preview, or click Add a new thumbnail to upload your own. Enter a video title, and then click Done. The video title is visible when the video is clicked on for viewing.
- Complete the other elements of your post, and then send or schedule as usual.
If your video requires processing to adjust its dimensions or bitrate, it must be scheduled at least 60 minutes into the future. Processing will begin after you click Post or Schedule.
A status window at the bottom of your dashboard will let you know when processing is complete.
Large videos, and videos that need transcoding, will publish after a short delay to allow for processing. While a video is processing, the post cannot be edited or duplicated.
Because scheduled videos can need extra time to process and get uploaded to the social network, they cannot be edited or rescheduled within 15 minutes of publication, or within 60 minutes of publication if transcoding is required.