Posting to Instagram is different from sending messages to your other social networks. Instagram posts need to be published via the Instagram app. When you send or schedule to your Instagram profile from Hootsuite, you will receive a notification in your mobile app. From the notification you can easily publish the post via Instagram.
Posts that contain an image can be sent or scheduled to Instagram and other social networks at the same time.
To publish to Instagram from Hootsuite, make sure you have the Instagram app and the latest version of the Hootsuite app installed on your mobile device (requires at least iOS 10).
Hootsuite notifications also need to be turned on in your device Settings, and Instagram notifications turned on in the Hootsuite app to be able to publish to Instagram.
To set up publishing to Instagram
- Open your Hootsuite app.
- Tap Settings .
- Tap Notification Settings.
- Toggle Instagram notifications (Publish to Instagram) to ON. A green toggle means enabled.
These notifications inform you when posts are ready to be published to Instagram. More than one team member with publishing access to an Instagram profile can turn on notifications for that profile. Likewise, you can add and turn on notifications for more than one Instagram profile.
Note: Signing out of your Hootsuite app turns off all notifications.
Posts will be unsuccessful if these notifications are not turned on.
To share a post to Instagram
- Tap Compose .
- Tap Select Social Network .
- Tap an Instagram profile to share the post, and then tap Done in the top-right corner.
- Optional: Enter a caption for your photo. Emojis are supported, and captions can contain a maximum of 30 hashtags. URLs will not hyperlink when posted to Instagram.
- Tap Camera , to take a new photo, or Photo Upload to select an existing photo from your device.
If multiple images are attached, only the first one will post to Instagram.
- Tap Send . A notification will be sent to the mobile device(s) that have turned on notifications for the Instagram profile.
- Tap Notifications .
- Tap the new notification indicated by a blue dot.
- Tap Open in Instagram.
- Tap Open in Instagram again. You will be launched into the Instagram app.
- Tap Format to change your photo's orientation.
- Select a filter.
- Tap-and-hold in the caption box and then tap Paste to paste in your composed caption.
- Tag people or add location info to your photo.
- Tap Share.
The Hootsuite app does not detect which profile is signed in to your Instagram app. If you publish to more than one Instagram profile, ensure you are signed into the Instagram app with the same profile you selected in Hootsuite, so that you send the post to the correct Instagram profile.
When more than one user receives notifications for Instagram posts, tap the notification to see if the post has already been published. The Open in Instagram button will change to Shared by (name) when published.
Tap Shared by (name) to mark the post as not shared or to share the post again.