In this article:
- Why was I charged twice?
- What is annual billing?
- Why was my Hootsuite account automatically renewed?
- What should I do if I haven't received my invoice?
- What methods of payment does Hootsuite accept?
- Does Hootsuite offer discounts for non profit organizations?
- Why am I receiving an invoice after downgrading?
- What should I do if my transaction is declined?
- Is my Hootsuite account subject to tax?
- How can I get help resolving a billing issue?
Why was I charged twice?
When the payment method on a suspended account is updated, the account is reinstated and any outstanding balances are settled. This also resets the billing cycle on the account, resulting in a charge for the upcoming month on the subscription (old charges + new charge = two charges).
Alternatively, when two people have unknowingly created accounts using the same payment information, it can seem like you’re being double-billed (two accounts = two charges).
Tip: Contact our support team to help locate and close one of the accounts.
What is annual billing?
Annual billing is a one-year commitment allowing you to pay one discounted and non-refundable payment rather than monthly payments for Hootsuite Pro, add-ons, Professional plans, or Team plans.
Annual plans can be downgraded or cancelled at any time. Downgraded plans retain access to their plan features until the expiration of the one-year commitment; cancelled plans are closed immediately and no proration or partial refund is applied.
Should you add an add-on mid-cycle, you will be charged and invoiced pro rata (from the sign-up date until the end of the one-year commitment). Add-ons removed mid-cycle will remain active until the end of the one-year commitment, with no proration or partial refund applied.
Monthly billing is payable at the beginning of each monthly billing cycle. Monthly billing is not a discounted rate, but gives you the flexibility to modify your plan at any time. One change can be made per billing cycle, including switching to annual billing, which would take effect at the end of the monthly billing cycle, or upgrading or downgrading your plan type.
Why was my Hootsuite account automatically renewed?
Hootsuite services are purchased as subscriptions that are billed in advance on a monthly or yearly basis (depending on your selected billing preference) and renew automatically.
As per our terms of service, Hootsuite will process the form of payment on the account on each renewal term on the calendar day corresponding to the first day you subscribed to a paid subscription. See Self-serve terms or Enterprise terms.
To avoid having your account automatically renewed, cancel it or switch to a free account before your renewal date. See Cancel your Hootsuite account and Switch from a paid subscription to a free account.
What should I do if I haven't received my invoice?
Invoices, or billing history, can be accessed from your Hootsuite dashboard. For more information, see Hootsuite invoices.
If you have a Hootsuite Enterprise account, you will need to contact your customer success manager to request an invoice.
What methods of payment does Hootsuite accept?
Hootsuite accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB, and Paypal instant payments as methods of payment.
To make payments from a bank account, connect the bank account to PayPal, and use PayPal as your primary method of payment.
We do not accept payment by check, debit, prepaid cards, wire transfers, or Paypal eCheck.
Does Hootsuite offer discounts for non profit organizations?
A discount is available for non profit organizations with a Professional or Team plan that meet specific criteria. Applications are currently being accepted and reviewed for consideration. Apply here.
Why am I receiving an invoice after downgrading?
When an account is downgraded to free, a final invoice (or Settlement of Accounts) is automatically sent to the email address associated with the Hootsuite account.
It may appear that the account has been charged again, but the final invoice is generated to provide the account holder with:
- A record of any final transactions that may have occurred after the downgrade and within the last 30 days, such as late payments
- Confirmation that the account has been settled and has a $0 balance
What should I do if my transaction is declined?
Should your payment transaction be declined but your payment method (credit card, for example) is in good standing, you may want to reach out to your credit card company by calling the toll-free phone number listed on the back of your card.
Alternatively, your Hootsuite billing information can be updated to process a new form of payment.
Is my Hootsuite account subject to tax?
Paying Hootsuite accounts are charged the following taxes in the areas indicated, based on the account’s billing address:
Sales Tax (Canada)
- All provinces and territories of Canada are subject to the applicable sales tax.
- The tax registration numbers for Canadian companies and professionals are:
- PST 1013-0924
- GST 84250-7261
- QST 1221199690
- These numbers appear on Hootsuite invoices.
Sales Tax (USA)
- Arizona, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Washington are subject to the applicable state sales tax.
- Hootsuite is an Incorporated company based out of Canada, so the W-8BEN form should be used with the IRS, instead of the W9 form.
- American individuals or companies requiring a W-8BEN form should download the attached file:
- W-8BEN-E 2017 (valid through Dec 31, 2020)
Sales Tax (Australia, New Zealand, Singapore)
- All states, regions, and territories of Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore are subject to the applicable sales tax.
VAT (EU, Norway, South Africa, Switzerland)
- The local standard Value-Added Tax (VAT) rate is applied in all European Union countries, and in Norway, South Africa, and Switzerland.
- Hootsuite’s Simplified Scheme Reference Number (in lieu of a VAT number), is EU826021784.
- Hootsuite's VAT number in Norway is 2018934.
- Enter your own VAT number through your dashboard to have VAT excluded from future invoices. For more information, see Add information to your Hootsuite invoice.
Tax is applied as a separate line item on your Hootsuite invoice. View your invoices.
Note: Sales tax legislation, as well as our requirements to collect sales tax as a vendor, are subject to periodic change. As a result, Hootsuite regularly reviews its sales tax compliance obligations and may modify its application of sales tax to customer invoices from time to time as required by law and in accordance with the Terms of Service.
Our organization has a tax-exempt number. How do I update our invoice?
At this time there is no way to manually update accounts with tax-exempt numbers. Please contact our support team with your tax-exempt number and we will update your account for you.
How can I get help resolving a billing issue?
Please contact our support team with your Hootsuite account email and a description of the billing issue you are experiencing.
What if I don’t know the account email?
If you do not know the email address associated with the Hootsuite account being charged, please provide as many of the following as you can (if applicable) when you reach out to us. This will help us locate the account and help you resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
- PayPal Billing Agreement ID, charge amount, and date
- Credit card type, charge amount, and date
- Hootsuite invoice number
- Email address(es) that may have been used to create the account, or the email domain (for example @social.com)
- Full name of the account owner