Why was I charged twice?
When you update the payment method on a suspended account, Hootsuite reinstates the account and settles any outstanding balances. This change also resets the billing cycle on the account, resulting in a charge for the upcoming month on the subscription (outstanding balance owed + new charge = two charges).
Alternatively, if two people have unknowingly created Hootsuite accounts using the same payment information, you are charged for each account.
Tip: Contact our support team to help identify and close one of the duplicate accounts.
What do I need to know about my annual or monthly subscription?
An annual subscription is a one-year commitment to a Hootsuite paid plan where you pay one discounted and non-refundable payment rather than monthly payments.
You can switch a paid plan to a free plan, change your plan type, or delete your Hootsuite account at any time. Paid plans retain access to their plan features until the expiration of the one-year or monthly commitment. If you delete your account, you Hootsuite account is closed immediately and no proration or partial refund is applied. For detailed information, see Manage your Hootsuite plan and account.
If you add any features to a subscription mid-cycle, you will be charged and invoiced on a pro-rated basis (from the feature sign-up date until the end of the subscription commitment). Add-on features removed mid-cycle remain active until the end of the subscription commitment, and no refund is provided.
Monthly subscriptions are payable at the beginning of each monthly billing cycle. A monthly subscription gives you the flexibility to modify your plan at any time. You can make one change per billing cycle, including switching to an annual subscription (which would take effect at the end of the monthly billing cycle) or upgrading or downgrading your plan type.
Why was my Hootsuite account automatically renewed?
Hootsuite services are purchased as subscriptions that are billed in advance on a monthly or yearly basis. Your subscription is set to automatically renew unless you turn automatic renewals off. You can choose to toggle your subscription on and off (for example, if you plan on being away for an extended amount of time) by turning off automatic renewals, letting your subscription expire, then returning and restarting payments. Note, that this scenario is more common for monthly accounts. Annual accounts are billed at one time and cannot be toggled off until the end of the annual commitment.
As per our terms of service, Hootsuite processes payment for your account on each renewal term on the calendar day corresponding to the first day you subscribed to a paid plan type. See Self-serve terms or Enterprise terms.
To avoid having your account automatically renewed, turn auto-renew off or switch to a free account before your renewal date. See Manage your Hootsuite plan and account.
What should I do if I haven't received my invoice?
You can access your invoices and billing history from Hootsuite. For more information, see Manage your Hootsuite invoices.
If you have a Hootsuite Enterprise account, contact your customer success manager to request an invoice.
What methods of payment does Hootsuite accept?
Hootsuite accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB, and Paypal instant payments as methods of payment.
To make payments from a bank account, connect the bank account to PayPal, and use PayPal as your primary method of payment.
Hootsuite does not accept payment by check, debit, prepaid cards, wire transfers, or Paypal eCheck.
Does Hootsuite offer discounts for non profit organizations?
A discount is available for non profit organizations with a Professional or Team plan that meet specific criteria. Apply to have Hootsuite review your organization's eligibility for its non-profit discount. Apply here.
Why am I receiving an invoice after downgrading to a Free plan?
When a Hootsuite account is switched from a paid plan to a free plan, Hootsuite automatically sends a final invoice (or Settlement of Accounts) to the email address associated with the Hootsuite account.
Hootsuite generates the final invoice to provide the account holder with the following:
- A record of any final transactions that may have occurred after the plan switch and within the last 30 days, such as late payments.
- Confirmation that the account has been settled and has a $0 balance.
What should I do if my transaction is declined?
If your payment transaction is declined and your payment method (credit card, for example) is in good standing, contact your financial institution for resolution.
Alternatively, you can update your payment information to have Hootsuite process a new form of payment (see Manage your Hootsuite plan and account).
Is my Hootsuite account subject to tax?
Hootsuite collects requisite taxes on paid plans in the following jurisdictions, based on the account’s billing address. Tax is applied as a separate line item on your Hootsuite invoice.
Canada sales tax
- All provinces and territories of Canada are subject to the applicable sales tax.
- Canadian tax registration numbers (PST, GST, and QST) appear on Hootsuite invoices.
- PST 1013-0924
- GST 84250-7261
- QST 1221199690
USA sales tax
- Arizona, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Washington are subject to the applicable state sales tax.
- Hootsuite is an Incorporated company based out of Canada, so the W-8BEN form should be used with the IRS, instead of the W9 form. American individuals or companies requiring a W-8BEN form can download the Hootsuite signed form here: W-8BEN-E 2017.
Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore sales tax
- All states, regions, and territories of Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore are subject to the applicable sales tax.
EU, Norway, South Africa, and Switzerland VAT
- Hootsuite applies the local standard Value-Added Tax (VAT) rate for each European Union country, as well as Norway, South Africa, and Switzerland.
- Hootsuite’s Simplified Scheme Reference Number (in lieu of a VAT number), is EU826021784.
- Hootsuite's VAT number in Norway is 2018934.
- Billing addresses in countries where VAT is applicable will incur standard VAT charges on their Hootsuite invoices. Enter your VAT number to have VAT excluded from future invoices. See Manage your Hootsuite invoices for instruction.
Note: Sales tax legislation is subject to periodic change. Hootsuite regularly reviews its sales tax compliance obligations and may modify its application of sales tax to customer invoices as required by law and in accordance with the Terms of Service.
Our organization has a tax-exempt number. How do I update our invoice?
At this time there is no way to manually update accounts to include tax-exempt numbers. Please contact our support team and we will update your account for you.
How can I get help resolving a billing issue?
Please contact our support team with your Hootsuite account email and a description of the billing issue you are experiencing.
If you do not know the email address associated with the Hootsuite account being charged, please provide the following details when you reach out to us. This will help us locate the account and help you resolve the issue as quickly as possible. If possible, please provide the following information:
- PayPal Billing Agreement ID, charge amount, and date
- Credit card type, charge amount, and date
- Hootsuite invoice number
- Email address(es) that may have been used to create the account, or the email domain (for example @social.com)
- Full name of the account owner