In this article:
- Why was I double-billed?
- What is annual billing?
- Why was my Hootsuite account automatically renewed?
- What should I do if I haven't received my invoice?
- What methods of payment does Hootsuite accept?
- Does Hootsuite offer discounts for non profit organizations?
- Why am I receiving an invoice after downgrading?
- What should I do if my transaction is declined?
- Is my Hootsuite account subject to tax?
- How can I get help resolving a billing issue?
Why was I double-billed?
Suspended accounts are reinstated when the payment method is updated and any outstanding balance is settled. This also resets the billing cycle, resulting in a secondary charge for the new month (old charges + new charge = two charges).
Alternatively, when two people have unknowingly created two accounts using the same payment information, it can seem like you’re being double-billed (two accounts = two charges).
Tip: Contact our support team to help locate and close the secondary account.
What is annual billing?
Annual billing is a one-year commitment allowing you to pay one discounted and non-refundable payment rather than monthly payments for Hootsuite Pro, add-ons, Professional or Team plans.
Annual plans can be downgraded or cancelled at any time. Downgraded plans will retain access to their plan features until the expiration of the one-year commitment; cancelled plans will be closed immediately and no proration or partial refund will be applied.
Should you add an add-on mid-cycle, you will be charged and invoiced pro rata (from the sign up date until the end of the one-year commitment); Add-ons removed mid-cycle will remain active until the end of the one-year commitment, with no proration or partial refund applied.
Monthly billing is payable at the beginning of each monthly billing cycle. Monthly billing is not a discounted rate, but gives you the flexibility to modify your plan at any time. One change can be made per billing cycle, including switching to annual billing, which would take effect at the end of the monthly billing cycle, or upgrading or downgrading your plan type.
Why was my Hootsuite account automatically renewed?
Hootsuite services are purchased as subscriptions that are billed in advance on a monthly or yearly basis (depending on your selected billing preference) and renew automatically.
As per our terms of service (Free and Pro) (Professional and Team), Hootsuite will process the form of payment on the account on each renewal term on the calendar day corresponding to the first day you subscribed to a paid subscription.
What should I do if I haven't received my invoice?
Invoices, or billing history, can be accessed from your Hootsuite dashboard.
If you have a Hootsuite Enterprise account, you will need to contact your customer success manager to request an invoice.
What methods of payment does Hootsuite accept?
Hootsuite accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB and Paypal instant payments as methods of payment.
To make payments from a bank account, connect the bank account to PayPal, and use PayPal as your primary method of payment.
We do not accept payment by check, debit, prepaid cards, wire transfers, or Paypal eCheck.
Does Hootsuite offer discounts for non profit organizations?
A discount is available for non profit organizations with a Professional or Team plan that meet specific criteria. Applications are currently being accepted and reviewed for consideration. Apply here
Why am I receiving an invoice after downgrading?
When an account is downgraded, a final invoice (or Settlement of Accounts) is automatically sent to the email address associated with the Hootsuite account.
It may appear that the account has been charged again, but the final invoice is generated to provide the account holder with:
- a record of any final transactions that may have occurred after the downgrade and within the last 30 days, such as late payments;
- and confirmation that the account has been settled and has a $0 balance.
What should I do if my transaction is declined?
Should your payment transaction be declined but your payment method (credit card, for example) is in good standing, you may want to reach out to your credit card company by calling the toll-free phone number listed on the back of your card.
Alternatively, your Hootsuite billing information can be updated to process a new form of payment.
Is my Hootsuite account subject to tax?
Paying Hootsuite accounts are charged the following taxes in the areas indicated, based on the account’s billing address:
Sales Tax (Canada)
- All provinces and territories of Canada are subject to the applicable sales tax.
- The tax registration numbers for Canadian companies and professionals are:
- PST 1013-0924
- GST 84250-7261
- QST 1221199690
- These numbers appear on Hootsuite invoices.
Sales Tax (USA)
- Arizona, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Washington are subject to the applicable state sales tax.
- Hootsuite is an Incorporated company based out of Canada, so the W-8BEN form should be used with the IRS, instead of the W9 form.
- American individuals or companies requiring a W-8BEN form should download the attached file:
Sales Tax (Australia, New Zealand, Singapore)
- All states, regions, and territories of Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore are subject to the applicable sales tax.
VAT (EU, Norway, South Africa, Switzerland)
- The local standard Value-Added Tax (VAT) rate is applied in all European Union countries, and in Norway, South Africa, and Switzerland.
- Hootsuite’s Simplified Scheme Reference Number (in lieu of a VAT number), is EU826021784.
- Hootsuite's VAT number in Norway is 2018934.
- Enter your own VAT number through your dashboard to have VAT excluded from future invoices.
Tax will be applied as a separate line item on your Hootsuite invoice. View your invoices.
Note: Sales tax legislation, as well as our requirements to collect sales tax as a vendor, are subject to periodic change. As a result, Hootsuite regularly reviews its sales tax compliance obligations and may modify its application of sales tax to customer invoices from time to time as required by law and in accordance with the Terms of Service.
Our organization has a tax-exempt number. How do I update our invoice?
At this time there is no way to manually update accounts with tax-exempt numbers. Please reach out to our support team with your tax-exempt number and we will update your account for you.
How can I get help resolving a billing issue?
Please reach out to us here with your Hootsuite account email and a description of the billing issue you are experiencing.
What if I don’t know the account email?
If you do not know the email address associated with the Hootsuite account being charged, please provide as many of the following as you can (if applicable) when you reach out to us. This will help us locate the account and help you resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
- PayPal Billing Agreement ID, charge amount and date
- Credit card type, charge amount and date
- Hootsuite invoice number
- Email address(es) that may have been used to create the account, or the email domain (for example @social.com)
- Full name of the account owner
Do you still have questions? See our other Account and Billing articles for more information.