Direct messages can only be received from people you follow unless you enable direct messages from anyone in your Twitter account settings.
To direct message a Twitter contact
- Locate the contact in a Twitter stream and tap one of their tweets.
- Tap the contact’s avatar (profile picture).
- Tap Direct message at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter your message, and then tap Send .
- Tap Compose in the bottom-right corner.
- Tap Select Social Networks .
- Tap to select a Twitter profile to send the message with, and then tap the arrowhead to close.
- Enter d followed by the @Twitterhandle you are messaging, followed by your message.
- Tap Send .