Publish or schedule posts - Android
You can create posts on the go with the Hootsuite mobile app. Send posts to all your social accounts from one place, or schedule them to publish later.
Publishing to the following types of social accounts is supported on Android:
- Twitter profiles
- Instagram profiles
- Instagram Business profiles
- Facebook Pages
- Facebook groups
- LinkedIn profiles
- LinkedIn Pages
In this article:
Compose the post
- Select Compose .
- Select Write your message, and enter the text of the post.
- Select Shrink Link to shorten any included links with the ow.ly link shortener.
Team, Business, and Enterprise users who have vanity URLs set up in their web dashboards (and have the permissions to use them) can select to shorten with a vanity URL instead.
Note that posts containing link previews must also contain text in the body of the post before they can be published.
- To mention a Twitter or Instagram user, or Facebook Page, enter their @username. A list of results to select from populates for Twitter and Facebook. Enter an Instagram user's exact @username to publish a hyperlinked mention in Instagram.
Mentions in posts sent to more than one social account only publish as hyperlinked mentions in the applicable account. In the other social accounts, the mentions are converted to plain text. Facebook Page mentions can only be published by other Facebook Pages.
You can attach up to four images to each Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn post. Only one image can be published per Instagram post. Twitter or Facebook Pages also support one animated GIF per post. Animated GIFs posted to Instagram appear as still images. If you're having trouble uploading an image, change the image upload quality in the Hootsuite app settings.
- Select Camera to take a new photo, or choose Photos to attach media to your post.
- In Photos, select the tabs to browse device media, free stock images, GIFs from GIPHY, or images from a content library (Enterprise).
- Select an image to attach it to the post. In Composer, you can select an image thumbnail to preview it.
- Facebook Pages: Select an album to post the photos to.
Publish a video
You can publish videos to Twitter profiles, LinkedIn Pages, Instagram personal or business profiles, or Facebook Pages or groups. Videos must be mp4 and can't exceed 40 frames per second. The Hootsuite mobile app encodes uploaded video to fit each social network's video requirements, so you don't have to worry about formatting them yourself. At this time, portrait videos to Instagram are not supported. For more information about video file requirements, see Requirements and processing times for posting videos.
- Select Browse photos and select an existing video from your device.
Facebook Pages: Select the video thumbnail and then Edit to add a video category, Change Thumbnail to select a different thumbnail option, or upload your own, and then select Done in the top-right corner.
Videos published to Facebook appear as shares in the Page timeline and are added to the video library of that Page.
Add your location to tweets
- Select Add Location to append your current location (geotag) to Twitter posts. The icon will turn blue. Device location access must be enabled for the Hootsuite app.
See more about enabling location access to your Hootsuite android device.
Select an account to post to
- Select Select a Social Network, and then select the social accounts to publish your post to. Only one Twitter profile can be selected per post.
Tip: To auto-select profiles you use frequently, select the pin to the right of the account for quick posting next time. Blue indicates that a social account is pinned.
- Select Done in the top right.
Send or schedule
Select to review any warning messages that appear; when your post is ready to publish, select NEXT, and then choose one of the following:
- Send Now to publish right away
- Auto Schedule, to automatically schedule your post for an optimal time, based on your already-scheduled content and AutoSchedule settings from the web dashboard
- Custom Schedule to set a later date and time for the post to publish, and then select OK
Select Save Draft in the bottom right of the composer at any time to resume editing and scheduling later.
After sending or scheduling a post, a results screen displays the post's status. When successful, you can select to view your post natively in the social network, or view scheduled posts in the Planner.
Important: Posts to personal Instagram profiles, and to business profiles that are not set up for direct publishing, will be published using the mobile notification workflow.
When a post fails to send to one or more social networks, the reason for the failure is displayed. Select Edit Failed Posts and Try Again to fix the error and send or schedule the post again.
Select the X in the top left to close the posting results screen.
Note: The Hootsuite app uses the time zone set on your device.