Craft posts on the go with the Hootsuite mobile app. Send posts to all your social accounts from one place, or schedule them to publish later.
Publishing to the following social accounts is supported on iOS:
- Twitter profiles
- Instagram profiles
- Instagram Business profiles
- Facebook Pages
- Facebook groups
- LinkedIn profiles
- LinkedIn Pages
In this article:
Compose the post
- Select Compose .
- Select Write your post, and enter the text of the post.
- Select Shrink Link to shorten any included links with the ow.ly link shortener.
Team, Business and Enterprise customers who have vanity URLs set up in their web dashboards (and have the permissions to use them) can select to shorten with a vanity URL instead.
Note that posts containing link previews must also contain text in the body of the post before they can be published.
- To mention a Twitter or Instagram user, or Facebook Page, enter their @username. A list of results to select from will populate for Twitter and Facebook. Enter an Instagram user's exact @username to publish a hyperlinked mention in Instagram.
Mentions in posts sent to more than one social account will only publish as hyperlinked mentions in the applicable social account. In the other social accounts the mentions will be converted to plain text. Facebook Page mentions can only be published by other Facebook Pages.
Tip: Photo and camera access need to be enabled in your device settings for the Hootsuite app to take new photos while composing, or to attach existing ones from your device.
- Select Camera to take a new photo, or select Photos to attach media to your post.
- In Photos, select the tabs at the bottom to access existing photos from your device, free stock images, GIFs from GIPHY, or images from a content library (Enterprise).
- Select an image to attach it to the post. In Compose, you can select an image thumbnail to preview it.
- Facebook Pages: Select an album to post the photos to.
Up to 4 images can be attached to each Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn post. Only 1 image can be published per Instagram post. Hootsuite supports .jpg, .jpeg and .png files at a maximum size of 3MB for Twitter, and 5MB for other social accounts. If you’re having trouble uploading an image, change the upload quality in your app settings to compress the file.
Twitter and Facebook Pages also support 1 animated GIF per post. Animated GIFs posted to Instagram appear as still images.
Publish a video
Publish videos to Twitter profiles, LinkedIn Pages, Instagram personal or business profiles, or Facebook Pages or groups. Videos must be .mov and can't exceed 40 frames per second. The Hootsuite mobile app encodes uploaded video to fit each social network's video requirements, so you don't have to worry about formatting them yourself. At this time portrait videos to Instagram are not supported. See video file requirements here
- Select Photos and select an existing video from your device.
Facebook Pages: Select the video thumbnail and then select Edit to add a title and video category, or select Change thumbnail to select a different thumbnail option, or upload your own. The video title is visible in Facebook when the video is clicked on for viewing.
Videos published to Facebook appear as shares in the Page timeline, and are added to the video library of that Page.
Add your location to tweets
- Select Add Location to append your current location (geotag) to Twitter posts. The icon will turn blue.
Tip: Location access needs to be enabled in your device settings for the Hootsuite app.
Geotagging can be auto-enabled for every tweet in your app preferences.
Select an account to post to
- Select Select a social network + and then select the social account(s) to publish your post to. Only one Twitter profile can be selected per post.
Tip: To auto-select accounts you use frequently, select the pin beside the account for quick posting next time. Blue means pinned.
- Select Done in the top right.
Send or schedule
Review any warning messages on your post, and then when it's ready to publish, select Next in the top right, and then select:
- Post Now to publish right away;
- Auto Schedule, to automatically schedule your post for an optimal time, based on your already scheduled content and AutoSchedule settings from the web dashboard; or
- Custom Schedule to set a later date and time for the post to publish.
Select Save Draft in the bottom right at any time to resume editing and scheduling later.
After sending or scheduling a post, a results screen will display the post’s status. When successful, you can select to view your post natively in the social network, or view scheduled posts in the Planner.
Important: Posts to personal Instagram profiles, and business profiles that are not set up for direct publishing, will be published using the mobile notification workflow.
When a post fails to send to one or more social accounts, the reason for the failure will display. Select Edit Failed Posts and Try Again to fix the error and then send or schedule the post again.
Note: The Hootsuite app uses the time zone set on your device.