Craft posts on the go with the Hootsuite mobile app. Send posts to all your social networks from one place, or schedule them to publish later.
Publishing to the following social networks is supported on iOS:
- Twitter profiles
- Instagram profiles Learn more
- Instagram business profiles
- Facebook Pages
- Facebook groups
- LinkedIn profiles
- LinkedIn Pages
In this article:
Compose the post
- Tap Compose .
- Tap Write your post, and enter the text of the post.
- Tap Shrink Link to shorten any included links with the ow.ly link shortener.
Team, Business and Enterprise customers who have vanity URLs set up in their web dashboards (and have the permissions to use them) can select to shorten with a vanity URL instead.
Note that posts containing link previews must also contain text in the body of the post before they can be published.
- To mention a Twitter or Instagram user, or Facebook Page, enter their @username. A list of results to select from will populate for Twitter and Facebook. Enter an Instagram user's exact @username to publish a hyperlinked mention in Instagram.
Mentions in posts sent to more than one social network will only publish as hyperlinked mentions in the applicable social network. In the other social networks the mentions will be converted to plain text. Facebook Page mentions can only be published by other Facebook Pages.
Photo and camera access need to be enabled in your device settings for the Hootsuite app to take new photos while composing, or attaching existing ones from your device.
- Tap Camera to take a new photo.
- Tap Photo upload to attach an existing photo from your device, or, under your photos tap Free Images or GIPHY to search for free stock images to include in your post.
Tap an image thumbnail to preview it.
- Instagram: If the photo doesn't fit Instagram's aspect ratio requirements, an editor will appear. Tap Aspect ratio to select a supported ratio, and then tap Done.
- Facebook Pages: Select an album to post the photos to.
Up to 4 images can be attached to each Twitter or Facebook post. Only 1 image can be published per Instagram or LinkedIn post. Hootsuite supports .jpg, .jpeg and .png files at a maximum size of 3MB for Twitter, and 5MB for other social networks. If you’re having trouble uploading an image, change the upload quality in your app settings to compress the file.
Twitter and Facebook Pages also support 1 animated GIF per post. Animated GIFs posted to other social networks will appear as still images.
Publish a video
Publish videos to Twitter profiles, LinkedIn Pages, Instagram personal or business profiles, or Facebook Pages or groups. Videos must be .mov and can't exceed 40 frames per second. The Hootsuite mobile app encodes uploaded video to fit each social network's video requirements, so you don't have to worry about formatting them yourself. At this time portrait videos to Instagram are not supported. See video file requirements here
- Tap Photo upload and select an existing video from your device.
Facebook Pages: Tap the video thumbnail and then tap Edit to add a title and video category, or tap Change thumbnail to select a different thumbnail option, or upload your own, and then tap Done in the top-right corner. The video title is visible in Facebook when the video is clicked on for viewing.
Videos published to Facebook appear as shares in the Page timeline, and are added to the video library of that Page.
Add your location to tweets
- Tap Add Location to append your current location (geotag) to Twitter posts. The icon will turn blue.
Location access needs to be enabled in your device settings for the Hootsuite app.
Geotagging can be auto-enabled for every tweet in your app preferences.
Select a profile to post to
- Tap Post to and then select the social networks(s) to publish your post to. Only one Twitter profile can be selected per post.
To auto-select profiles you use frequently, tap the pin to the right of the network for quick posting next time. Blue means pinned.
- Tap Done in the top-right corner.
Send or schedule
When your post is ready to publish, tap Next in the top-right corner, and then tap:
- Send Now to publish right away;
- Custom Schedule to set a later date and time for the post to publish, and then tap OK; or
- AutoSchedule, to automatically schedule your post for an optimal time, based on your already scheduled content and AutoSchedule settings from the web dashboard.
After sending or scheduling a post, a results screen will display the post’s status. When successful, you can tap to view your post natively in the social network, or view scheduled posts in the Planner.
When a post fails to send to one or more social networks, the reason for the failure will display. Tap Edit Failed Posts and Try Again to fix the error and then send or schedule the post again.