Can I include formatting in my messages?
Messages sent to Google+ Pages can be enhanced with bold, italic or strikethrough formatting in the Compose message box. Any combination of all three can be added to the same text.
To add bold text
To add bold text to a message, surround the word or words you want to bold with *asterisks*. For example, *bold text* will appear in the post as bold text.
To add italicized text
To add italicized text to a message, surround the word or words you want to italicize with _underscores_. For example, _italicized text_ will appear in the post as italicized text.
To add strikethrough text
To add strikethrough text to a message, surround the word or words you want to strikethrough with -dashes-. For example, -strikethrough- will appear in the post as strikethrough.
What are the file requirements for publishing videos?
How many social networks can I publish a message to at one time?
Hootsuite will publish a message to unlimited social networks at one time, but keep in mind that the social networking sites may identify the same post going out to several profiles simultaneously as spam. Learn more
When posting to a large number of social networks, you may also see the Send button change to Send(Delayed). The messages should post within a few minutes.
How do I include emojis in my messages?
Emojis can be included in posts sent to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ pages, Wordpress.com, Instagram, and LinkedIn profiles.
To include emojis in your posts on a Mac
- Click the compose message box.
- Press the control, command and spacebar keys on your keyboard.
- Select an emoji from the Character Viewer.
To include emojis in your posts on Windows 10
- Click the touch keyboard icon in the bottom-right corner of the task bar.
- Click the emoji smiley-face icon.
- Select an emoji.
To include emojis in your posts on Windows 8
- In Desktop Mode, right-click on the taskbar, select Toolbars, and then select Touch Keyboard.
- Click the Touch Keyboard icon in your system tray in the bottom-right corner of the desktop.
- Click the emoji smiley-face icon.
- Select an emoji.
What are the URL shorteners and what do they do?
The Hootsuite dashboard offers four link (URL) shorteners: ow.ly (dashboard default), owl.li, ht.ly and htl.li. Each URL shortener ends with the suffix for the country where the domain name is registered (.li is for Liechtenstein and .ly is for Libya). The shorteners work the same way, and can be used interchangeably. They differ simply in where the server is located.
ht.ly and htl.li include the same ability to track click stats as ow.ly and owl.li, but are also equipped with Hootsuite's Social Sharing Bar.
The Social Sharing Bar displays at the top of the image or webpage when users click on your shortened link, and makes it easy for them to re-share the content with a built-in compose message box for them.
Search Engine Optimization and Statistics
Hootsuite’s URL shorteners and the Social Sharing Bar will not affect your site’s search engine optimization (SEO). Because each shortener responds like a 301 redirect, visibility and web page ranking (commonly referred to as “link juice”), pass through to your site.
All four shorteners provide click-through statistics, including regional breakdown, custom date ranges, and bot/spider filtering. They also let you export reports and add custom URL parameters for an even deeper analysis.
Notes on using the URL shorteners (these apply to all four link shorteners)
- Hootsuite generates a unique ow.ly URL for every link sent in a message. If a message with an ow.ly URL is sent to more than one profile at the same time, each profile will receive a unique ow.ly URL so that each can be tracked independently.
- Previously sent ow.ly URLs that are copied and pasted into a new message and then sent to Twitter are also changed to new unique ow.ly URLs. However, if they are sent to any other social network, the URL should not change.
- Ow.ly links will be replaced and then break if they are pasted into a new message when a vanity URL is selected in the dashboard as the default shortener.
- Ow.ly links in messages that require approval will break if the approver has a vanity URL selected as their default shortener and they edit the message.
When resending a link, remove the http:// from the beginning of the ow.ly URL to keep it from changing (except when sending to LinkedIn, as this will break the link).
http:// must be included in the first send of the link, to associate it with your Twitter handle and collect click stats.
Are privacy options available in Hootsuite?
Privacy options are available for Facebook profiles, Google+ Pages and LinkedIn profiles. These can be customized to control who can view your status updates.
Can I delete Facebook content from Hootsuite?
Facebook content can be deleted from Hootsuite if a Facebook stream is deleted, but this does not remove the content from your Facebook account. To delete content from your Facebook account you must log in natively and manually delete it.
What are Twitter's API limits?
Twitter's application programming interface (API) limits are set at 1000 direct messages per day, and 2,400 tweets per day. Retweets are counted as tweets. For more information, read about Twitter Limits here.
Does Hootsuite support long URLs?
Hootsuite supports long uniform resource locators (URLs) on all social networks. To maintain a long URL, enter or paste it into your compose message box as you would standard text.
Exception: All URLs sent through really simple syndication (RSS) will automatically be shortened to an Ow.ly URL.
Who is displayed as the author of posts to social networks in an organization?
Regardless of the team member posting to Pages (LinkedIn, Facebook or Google+), the Page name will always display as the author of each post.
Regardless of the team member posting to Groups (Facebook), the author of each post will always be the name of the user who first added the Group to the Hootsuite organization.
Why does the letter d show up when I try to send a direct message?
The letter d is Twitter’s shorthand indicator for a direct message. To automatically make a message a direct message, enter d in front of it. This works the same way in Twitter.com. It will always display while you are composing the message, but it will not display to the recipient.
What's the difference between drafts and templates?
A drafted message is typically saved, edited and used one time. Drafts can, however, be retained in the Drafts folder for repeated use.
Templates are available to Enterprise users in the content library and can be edited and reused, providing the ability to respond to messages quickly with instant content, and share with team members.
Why am I getting a "Twitter/Facebook API is busy" error message?
Hootsuite uses Twitter and Facebook application programming interfaces (APIs) to connect your social networks. Sometimes this connection is lost, and it is necessary to reconnect Hootsuite to Twitter or Facebook's API.
Visit Reconnect Social Networks to reconnect your account.
Will my scheduled messages adjust to Daylight saving time?
Yes! Scheduled messages will automatically adjust for Daylight saving time (DST) according to the time zone selected in your dashboard settings.
If your selected time zone observes DST, Hootsuite will comply with that observance and adjust the dashboard time at 2am.
Things to note:
- Fall (back): Since bulk scheduling files only allow one message per 5-minute time slot, you may see errors when trying to bulk schedule during the hour when DST jumps back and the hour repeats. The bulk scheduler might think you have two messages in the same time slot.
- Spring (forward): Hootsuite won’t let you schedule for that lost hour when DST jumps ahead. So don’t worry, none of your content will be lost. The dashboard will automatically move your message ahead an hour when you save it.