Publishing messages through Hootsuite lets you post to different social profiles at once from one place, which saves you time and helps keep your content consistent across social networks.
To send a message
- Select the social profile(s) that will post the message from the Social Profile Picker (top‑left). Only one Twitter profile can be selected per message.
- Click Compose message, and then enter a message.
Check the area below the compose message box for a character count to ensure your message is within the character limit.
- Optional: Click Attach media to attach an image or video to your message.
- Click Send Now.
Note: The Send button may change to Send (Delayed) after clicking if a message was posted to a large number of social networks. The messages should post after a few minutes.
To send a message to Instagram
Posting to Instagram via Hootsuite is a bit different. Click here for a step-by-step guide to posting on Instagram.
Try publishing messages with our new Composer. It will give you a preview per social network of how your messages will look!
Send Twitter direct messages
You can only send direct messages to people who follow you or who have enabled direct messages from anyone in their Twitter account settings.
Direct messages have a limit of 10,000 characters. A character count will not display under the compose box for direct messages.
Due to an API limitation, images attached to direct messages will not be sent with the message.
To send a Twitter direct message
- Select the Twitter profile that will post the message from the Social Profile Picker (top‑left).
- Click Compose message.
- Enter d followed by the @Twitterhandle you are messaging, followed by your message.
- Click Send Now.
Note: d, d., m, and m. (lower or upper-case) are all shortcut characters for sending direct messages in Twitter. Regular tweets that begin with any of these characters will fail because Twitter will try to treat them as direct messages.