Facebook's new Pages experience and Hootsuite - March 22, 2021
In January 2021, Facebook announced a new Pages experience that they plan to roll out to all Pages in the coming months. The new experience includes:
- A redesigned layout for Facebook Pages
- A dedicated News Feed for Pages
- The ability to switch profiles between your personal profile and each Page you manage within your Facebook account
Currently, this new experience is only being offered to select Pages. Those Pages’ owners can opt in or switch back to a Classic Page during the rollout phase.
The new Page experience does not yet work with Hootsuite
To continue managing your Facebook Page in Hootsuite, do not switch to the new Page experience.
Because this new experience is still being developed, Facebook hasn’t yet built certain features for new Pages that are available on classic ones, including support for full management by third-party partners like Hootsuite. As some of our customers have switched to the new Page experience, we have seen an increase in errors and in impacts to our customers.
If you’ve already switched to the new Page experience, we encourage you to switch back to a Classic Page to avoid issues managing it with Hootsuite. Note that this will likely lead to losing any content published to your Page while on the new experience. When a Page connected to Hootsuite switches to the new experience, the following problems could occur:
- Scheduled posts and posts sent right away could fail to publish. You’ll see the error: Sorry! A temporary error occurred in the Composer or Planner.
- Mentions of other Pages could be converted to a number when published to Facebook.
- Intermittent errors could occur when trying to edit posts. You’ll see the error: Social network call failed due to invalid data, please try again.
- Intermittent errors could occur when trying to delete posts. You’ll see the error: Looks like this social account has been disconnected. Please reconnect your account and try again.
The only way to resolve these issues is to switch back to a classic Page.
These impacts also apply to Instagram business profiles that are connected to Facebook Pages on the new Pages experience.
How to tell if your Page is new or classic
There is an easy, visual way to determine whether your Facebook Page is on the new or classic experience.
On new Pages, the location of the Page’s profile picture is centered on the cover photo.
On classic Pages, the profile picture is at the bottom-left of the cover photo.
There is no automated or technical way for third-party partners like Hootsuite to detect the type of Page our customers have. We are using the same visual identification method to troubleshoot with our customers.
We will update this article as we learn more about the expected impacts of using a new Page with Hootsuite, and Facebook’s plans and rollout timelines.