Article updated: July 23, 2021
Manage your scheduled posts
In the Publisher calendar view, you can view all your scheduled content, create new posts, and organize, edit, or delete existing scheduled posts. You can also view scheduled content from the past year.
Watch Creating a content calendar and using it effectively for planning guidance. Visit Hootsuite Academy to watch more videos, take courses, or earn industry-recognized certifications.
Overview of Publisher
Go to Publisher. You'll see that there are three tabs at the top.
- Planner - Review and manage your scheduled posts in a weekly calendar view.
- Content - View posts that require approval, work on drafts, and export scheduled posts. You can also Schedule multiple posts at a time with the Bulk Composer. For information on drafts, see Work with drafts.
- Promote - Put advertising spend behind your Facebook or LinkedIn Page posts to promote organic content (see Promote your content).
View your scheduled content
Go to Publisher. Planner is selected by default. The calendar displays your scheduled content for the scheduled week.
Use the arrows to flip through the weeks, or select the current date to jump to a specific week in the calendar.
Select Settings and then select your calendar display preferences from the following options:
- Condensed view - View all of your content for each day at a glance.
- Expanded view - View all of your content in its scheduled time slot in the calendar.
- Sunday or Monday - Choose to start your weeks on either a Sunday or Monday.
Tip: A count of scheduled posts for each calendar day appears at the top of each day.
Filter your scheduled content
To filter your scheduled content by account, select Social accounts, choose one or more accounts, and then select Apply.
You can filter the Planner by social account or account type (for example, all Facebook Pages), or choose a team to automatically select all social accounts in that team. Use the search box to search by account name. You can filter for up to 700 accounts at a time.
Tip: Select the star next to an account or team name to add it to a Favorites section at the top of the account list.
If you belong to more than one Hootsuite organization, select the correct one from the list of organizations. This determines which accounts appear in the Social accounts filter.
Select All posts on the left to clear any filters from the calendar.
Enterprise plan members can also filter the Planner by Hootsuite content campaign by selecting a campaign on the left. Hootsuite campaign filters cannot be used with social account filters. See Create and manage content campaigns for more information.
Manage scheduled content
Each post appears as a tile in the calendar. Tiles appear in different colors to reflect their status:
- Purple - Scheduled (including AutoSchedule)
- Green - Published successfully
- Red - Failed to send (to learn more, see Troubleshoot a post failure)
- Gray - Scheduled draft
- Gray - Expired approval
- Yellow - Pending approval (approvals are specific to Enterprise plans)
Select a tile to preview the post:
- Select Edit to edit an unpublished post, or approve or reject a pending post.
- Select Delete to delete the scheduled post.
- Select More to duplicate or turn a scheduled post into a draft.
Duplicating an existing post copies it so you can quickly make edits and build off the original to create a new post. Hootsuite recommends making edits right away when you duplicate a post, so it becomes unique. Social networks have strict publishing rules and often flag identical content as spam, especially if published within a short time period.Important: UTM parameters on links also get duplicated, unless they are dynamic UTMs, so make sure to update these when duplicating posts.
- Select View on [social network] to go straight to a published post live on the social network.
To reschedule a post, select it and drag it to a different time (scheduling is done in 5-minute increments). Posts must be rescheduled at least 5 minutes in advance of publishing, and posts with videos that require extra time to process must be edited or rescheduled 15 minutes before publishing (30 minutes if transcoding is required). To reschedule the post for a time outside of the weekly calendar view, open the post, select Edit, and then edit the time.
Compose new content from Planner
Select a time slot in the Planner weekly calendar, and then select Post, Pin, or Instagram Story to create and schedule your content. When the composer opens, it automatically has the chosen time slot selected for scheduling.
Plans: Hootsuite Free plan members can have a maximum of 5 posts scheduled at a time.