Article updated: November 10, 2021
Manage your scheduled posts
In the Publisher calendar view, you can view all your scheduled content, create new posts, and organize, edit, or delete existing scheduled posts. You can also view scheduled content from the past year.
Watch Creating a content calendar and using it effectively for planning guidance. Visit Hootsuite Academy to watch more videos, take courses, or earn industry-recognized certifications.
Overview of Publisher
Go to Publisher. You'll see that there are two tabs at the top.
- Planner - Review and manage your scheduled content in a weekly calendar view. This includes posts and drafts with a scheduled date.
- Content - Find list views of drafts, scheduled content, and posts that require approval. You can also export scheduled posts and Schedule multiple posts at a time with the Bulk Composer. For information on drafts, see Work with drafts.
View your scheduled content
Go to Publisher. Planner is selected by default. The calendar displays your scheduled content for the selected week.
Use the arrows to flip through the weeks, or select the current date to jump to a specific week in the calendar.
Select Settings and then select your calendar display preferences from the following options:
- Condensed view - View all of your content for each day at a glance.
- Expanded view - View all of your content in its scheduled time slot in the calendar.
- Sunday or Monday - Choose to start your weeks on either a Sunday or Monday.
- Show recommended times - View recommended times for scheduling your next post in the calendar (Professional, Team, Business, and Enterprise plans). See Schedule posts at recommended times for more info about these recommendations.
Tip: A count of scheduled posts for each calendar day appears at the top of each day.
To filter your scheduled content by account, select Social accounts, choose one or more accounts, and then select Apply.
You can filter the Planner by social account or account type (for example, all Facebook Pages), or choose a team to select all social accounts in that team. Use the search box to search by account name. You can select up to 700 accounts at a time.
Tip: Select the star next to an account or team name to add it to a Favorites section at the top of the account list.
If you belong to more than one Hootsuite organization, select the appropriate one from the list of organizations. This determines which accounts appear in the Social accounts filter.
To filter your scheduled content by post status, select Post status, choose one or more statuses, and then select Apply. As long as it has a scheduled date, each of your posts appears as a tile in Planner, in different colors to reflect their status. You can filter for the following statuses:
- Drafts - Gray
- Failed to publish - Red - (to learn more, see Troubleshoot a post failure)
- Scheduled - Purple
- Published - Green
Business and Enterprise plans also have the following approval statuses (see also Approve posts from team members):
- Expired (not approved before its scheduled time) - Gray
- Pending approval (still requires approval) - Yellow
- Rejected (rejected by an approver) - Red
You can use post status and social account filters in combination for more targeted results. Select All posts to clear any filters from the calendar.
Enterprise plan members can also select a campaign under Hootsuite Campaigns in the navigation panel to filter by Hootsuite content campaign. You cannot use Hootsuite campaign filters with social account or post status filters. See Create and manage content campaigns for more information.
Manage scheduled content
Select a tile to preview the post:
- Select Edit to edit an unpublished post, or approve or reject a pending post.
- Select Delete to delete the scheduled post.
- Select More to duplicate or turn a scheduled post into a draft.
Duplicating an existing post copies it so you can quickly make edits and build off the original to create a new post. Hootsuite recommends making edits right away when you duplicate a post, so it becomes unique. Social networks have strict publishing rules and often flag identical content as spam, especially if published within a short time period.Important: UTM parameters on links also get duplicated, unless they are dynamic UTMs, so make sure to update these when duplicating posts.
- Select View on [social network] to go straight to a published post live on the social network.
To reschedule a post, select it and drag it to a different time (scheduling is done in 5-minute increments). Posts must be rescheduled at least 5 minutes in advance of publishing, and posts with videos that require extra time to process must be edited or rescheduled 15 minutes before publishing (30 minutes if transcoding is required). To reschedule the post for a time outside of the weekly calendar view, open the post, select Edit, and then edit the time.
Compose and schedule new content from Planner
Select a time slot in the Planner weekly calendar, and then select Post, Pin, or Instagram Story to create and schedule your content. When the composer opens, the time slot you selected is automatically applied. If you have the Planner filtered for 10 or fewer social accounts, the accounts are also automatically selected in the post composer when it opens.
If you have recommended times turned on in your Planner, Hootsuite highlights time slots for you that will get the most engagement based on your prior publishing results. See Schedule posts at recommended times for more details.