Article updated: May 09, 2022
Manage your content calendar
You can view and manage your social media campaigns (organic and paid) in one place with Planner. Review weekly and monthly views of your scheduled posts, scheduled drafts, and ads, and plan new content based on what you already have scheduled. You can create new posts in empty time slots, and reschedule, edit, or delete scheduled posts.
See View your ad campaigns in Planner for details on managing your ads.
Planner also shows all your published content. Published scheduled content is available from the past year, and unscheduled content is available from March 17, 2022.
Watch Creating a content calendar and using it effectively for planning guidance. Visit Hootsuite Academy to watch more videos, take courses, or earn industry-recognized certifications.
View your content calendar
- Go to Publisher and select the Planner tab.
- Select a view at the top of the calendar:
- View calendar by week.
- View calendar by month . You can look over your monthly calendar by post status or by social network .
- Use the other date and arrow options to move through the calendar.
Working in week view
Select Settings to customize your display preferences in this view:
- View all your content for each day Condensed at a glance or Expanded in its scheduled time slot.
- Start your week on Sunday or Monday.
- Show recommended times for scheduling a new post (Professional, Team, Business, and Enterprise plans). Learn more about these recommendations.
In Week view, all posts and drafts appear as tiles. You can see the number of published, scheduled, and draft posts at the top of each day. Select a tile to view more post details.
All posts, and drafts with scheduled dates, are shown in Planner with different colors and icons to reflect their status:
- Drafts - Gray
- Failed to publish - Red - (to find out more, see Troubleshoot a post failure)
- Scheduled - Purple
- Published - Green
- Disconnected - (will not publish until you reconnect the account) - Yellow
Note: Instagram posts and stories published via mobile notification appear in Planner as Published as soon as the publishing notification is sent. Someone still needs to take action on that notification to publish the content to Instagram.
Business and Enterprise plans have the following additional approval statuses for scheduled content (see also Approve content before it goes live):
- Expired (not approved before its scheduled time) - Gray
- Pending approval (still requires approval) - Yellow
- Rejected (rejected by an approver) - Red
Working in month view
Select Settings to start your weeks on Sunday or Monday.
In the monthly views, you get a summary of your content strategy over an entire month at a glance.
- View month by post status to see how many of each post status are scheduled on each day. You'll see numbers for published, draft, and scheduled posts. Icons appear for all other post statuses (failed, disconnected, rejected, expired, pending approval). Hover over the icons at the bottom of each day to view how many posts have those statuses.
View month by social network if you schedule a high volume of posts to your social accounts. Each day in this view shows a total of all post types per social network, giving you a good idea of where you might have gaps in your content strategy.
Select a day to open a side panel where you can review the day’s scheduled content in detail. Select a post tile to edit or delete the post. See Manage your calendar content for details.
Tip: Select the Content tab at the top of Publisher to find list views of posts that need approval, drafts, and scheduled content. You can also export your scheduled posts from the list views.
To filter Planner by account, select Social accounts, choose one or more accounts, and then select Apply. You can also filter by account type (for example, all Facebook Pages) or choose a team to select all social accounts in that team. You can select up to 700 accounts at a time. The accounts you see depend on the Hootsuite organization selected in the Planner navigation.
Tip: Select the star next to an account or team name to add it to a Favorites section at the top of the account list.
To filter your content by post status, select Post status, choose one or more statuses, and then select Apply. You can use post status and social account filters in combination for more targeted results. Select All posts to clear any filters from the calendar.
Enterprise plan members can also select a campaign in the navigation panel to filter by Hootsuite content campaign. You cannot use campaign filters with social account or post status filters. See Create and manage content campaigns for more details.
Note: You can only filter the month view by campaign from January 2022 on.
Select a post tile to open and view it in more detail:
- Select Edit to edit or reschedule an unpublished post, or approve or reject a pending post.
- Select Delete to delete a scheduled post.
- Select More to duplicate or turn a scheduled post into a draft.
- Select Duplicate to duplicate a published post.
- Select View on [social network] to go straight to a published post live on the social network.
Duplicating a post copies it into Composer so you can build off the original to create a new post. Promoted ad spend is not retained on duplicate boosted posts and needs to be added again in Composer.
- It's best practice to make edits to duplicate posts so they become unique. Social networks have strict publishing rules and often flag identical content as spam, especially if published within a short period.
- Tracking parameters on links also get duplicated, unless they are dynamic, so make sure to update these when duplicating posts.
To reschedule a post in week view, select the tile and drag it to a new time slot (scheduling is done in 5-minute increments). Reschedule or edit posts at least 5 minutes in advance of publishing, and 15 minutes in advance for posts with videos (30 minutes if transcoding is required). You can also reschedule by selecting a tile, selecting Edit, and then editing the scheduled date in Composer.
In a crisis, you can also Suspend scheduled content.
Create and schedule new content from Planner
Select a time slot in Week view, or select a day and then select Create in Month view, to create a new scheduled post, pin, or story. If you filtered your calendar to show 10 or fewer social accounts, those accounts are automatically selected in the post composer.
If you have recommended times turned on in your Planner settings, you’ll see highlighted times that will get the most engagement. Learn more about recommended times.
For more details about creating posts, see Create and publish posts.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help