Article updated: July 14, 2023
Share social posts to Slack
With the Slack app, you can share social media posts directly to Slack without leaving Hootsuite. The free Slack app allows you to share to channels and comment on posts. With Slack Pro, you can also share to a user or group, add a sentiment, and schedule sharing of posts.
Install the Slack app
Integration with Slack requires that you have an active Hootsuite account, access to a Slack account, and the Slack app installed.
- Go to My profile, and then select Install Hootsuite apps.
- In the top right, search for Slack.
- At the bottom of the listing for the app you want, select Install. You can only install and use one of the Slack apps at a time.
- After Slack is installed, go to Streams in Hootsuite.
- On any a Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter post within a stream, select More Actions below the post, and then select Send to Slack or Send to Slack Pro.
- In the window that appears, select Connect to Slack.
- Enter your Slack login credentials and enable Hootsuite permissions.
Share a post with the standard Slack app
Use the standard Slack app to share and comment on social posts to existing Slack channels you have joined. Because this is a plugin app, you cannot add it as a stream.
- Go to Streams in Hootsuite.
- On any a Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter post within a stream, select More Actions below the post, and then select Send to Slack.
- From the list at the top, select the Slack channel you want to share with.
- Enter a comment in the Write a message box.
- Select Send to [channel name].
Share a post with the Slack Pro app
Use the Slack Pro app to share social posts to Slack channels, users, or groups. You can add a sentiment and post it now or schedule the shared post for a more convenient time. You can share messages to Slack, but you cannot share from Slack to Hootsuite.
- Go to Streams in Hootsuite.
- On any a Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter post within a stream, select More Actions below the post, and then select Send to Slack Pro.
- From the list at the top, select the channel, individual user, or group you want to share with.
- Enter a comment in the Write a message box and select a positive, neutral, or negative sentiment.
- Select Send to [channel, user, group name] or Schedule for Later.
Other Slack users will see your post even if they don't have the Slack app installed. Anyone sharing posts from Hootsuite to Slack will need to have the Slack app installed.
If you encounter any issues with the standard Slack or Slack Pro app, try the following steps:
- Make sure you have the correct login for your Slack account when connecting the app.
- If the login still fails, uninstall the app from the Hootsuite account.
- Clear your cache and browser data. See Troubleshoot display issues for instructions.
- Open an Incognito / Private window in your browser and log in to Hootsuite from there.
- Within the Incognito / Private window, reinstall the app in your Hootsuite account and connect to Slack.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help