Convert an Instagram personal profile to a business profile
Instagram offers three profile types: personal, business, and creator. All Instagram accounts start off as personal by default. You can choose to convert a personal profile to a business or creator profile at any time. Due to limitations from Instagram, only business profiles get full access to the Instagram features available in Hootsuite. This includes post engagement, analytics, and direct publishing.
To access all the Instagram features available in Hootsuite, your business profile must be connected to a Facebook Page. You don't need to publish to the Page when you use Instagram, but the permissions to manage your Instagram profile are granted to Hootsuite through Facebook. This is a requirement from Facebook (which owns Instagram).
See Overview of Instagram profiles to learn more about each type and how to check what profile type you have.
Note: If you have an Instagram creator profile, follow these steps to convert it to a business profile in Instagram:
- In the Instagram app, go to your profile, and then select the menu in the top right.
- Select Settings, and then select Account.
- Scroll to the bottom of Account, select Switch Account Type, and then Switch to Business Account.
- Now follow the instructions at Connect an Instagram account to a Facebook Page to finish setting up your business profile.
Before you begin
Facebook requires your Instagram business profile to be connected to a Facebook Page to enable all Instagram functions in Hootsuite. To convert your profile, you need:
- A Facebook Page to connect your Instagram profile to. Only one Instagram profile can be connected to a Facebook Page and vice versa. If you need to create a new one, see the Facebook help article How do I create a Facebook Page?
- An Admin or Editor page role for that Facebook Page if it's a Classic Page type or Facebook access with full control or partial control on a New Page type. If the Page is an asset in Facebook Business Manager, you need management access to the Page in the Business Manager account as well. See the Facebook help articles How do I see what my role is on a Facebook Page? and Add people to your Business Manager.
Convert your Instagram personal profile to a business profile
- Sign in to Facebook and select Pages from the menu on the left.
- Select the Page you want to connect your Instagram profile to.
- Select Settings at the bottom of the Manage Page menu on the left.
- Select Instagram in the Page Settings menu.
- Select Connect Account, and then select Continue.
- Enter your Instagram account credentials (username and password) and then select Log In.
- You may be prompted automatically to convert your Instagram profile. Choose Business. If not, select Get Started or Switch Now to convert your personal profile to a business profile.
Now you’re ready to add your Instagram account to Hootsuite as an Instagram business profile. If your Instagram profile is already connected to Hootsuite, add it again and Hootsuite will automatically update it for you when you complete the process.