Article updated: October 31, 2023
Convert an Instagram Personal profile to a Business profile
Instagram offers three profile types: Personal, Business, and Creator. All Instagram accounts start off as Personal by default. You can choose to convert your profile type at any time. Due to limitations from Instagram, only Business profiles get full access to Hootsuite's Instagram features such as engagement, direct publishing, and analytics.
To use all the Instagram features available in Hootsuite, your Business profile must be connected to a Facebook Page. This is a requirement from Meta (which owns Instagram). Hootsuite gets the permissions to manage your Instagram profile through Facebook. You don't need to publish to the Page when you use Instagram.
See Overview of Instagram profiles to learn more about each profile type and how to check what type you have.
Before you begin
To convert your Instagram profile, you need:
- A Facebook Page to connect your Instagram profile to.
- Only one Instagram profile can be connected to a Facebook Page and vice versa. If you need to create a new one, see the Facebook help article Create a Facebook Page.
- Make sure you've got the right permissions (see the Facebook help article See your Facebook Page role or access):
- Facebook Page classic - Admin or Editor Page role.
- New Facebook Pages experience - Full or partial control.
- Asset in Facebook Business Manager - Management access to the Page in your Business Manager account. See the Facebook help article Add People to Your Business Manager.
Convert your Instagram profile to a Business profile
- In the Instagram mobile app, go to your profile, and then select the menu on the top right.
- Select Settings, then Account, and then scroll to the bottom.
- Personal account - Select Switch to professional account, and then choose Business.
- Creator account - Select Switch account type, and then Switch to business account.
- Follow Instagram's instructions to Add an Instagram account from your Facebook Page
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help