Article updated: September 22, 2022
Convert an Instagram Personal profile to a Business profile
Instagram offers three profile types: Personal, Business, and Creator. All Instagram accounts start off as Personal by default. You can choose to convert your profile type at any time. Due to limitations from Instagram, only Business profiles get full access to Hootsuite's Instagram features such as engagement, analytics, and direct publishing.
To use all the Instagram features available in Hootsuite, your Business profile must be connected to a Facebook Page. This is a requirement from Facebook (which owns Instagram). Hootsuite gets the permissions to manage your Instagram profile through Facebook. You don't need to publish to the Page when you use Instagram.
See Overview of Instagram profiles to learn more about each profile type and how to check what type you have.
Before you begin
To convert your Instagram profile, you need:
- A Facebook Page to connect your Instagram profile to.
- Only one Instagram profile can be connected to a Facebook Page and vice versa. If you need to create a new one, see the Facebook help article Create a Facebook Page.
- An Admin or Editor page role for that Facebook Page if it's a classic Page type or Facebook access with full control or partial control on a new Page type. See the Facebook help article See your Facebook Page role or access.
- If the Page is an asset in Facebook Business Manager, you need management access to the Page in the Business Manager account as well. See the Facebook help article Add people to your Business Manager.
Convert your Instagram profile to a Business profile
- In the Instagram mobile app, go to your profile, and then select the menu in the top right.
- Select Settings, then Account, and then scroll to the bottom.
- If you have a Personal account: Select Switch to professional account, and then choose Business.
- If you have a Creator account: Select Switch account type, and then Switch to business account.
Now follow the instructions at Connect an Instagram account to a Facebook Page to finish setting up your Business profile.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help