Article updated: November 10, 2021
Mention a user or Page
You can mention Pages or users in your posts when creating new posts or editing scheduled or draft posts. Mentions are displayed in the social network as a hyperlink to the user or Page, and the user or Page mentioned receives a notification of the mention.
You can mention the following in posts:
- Facebook Pages (can only be mentioned by other Facebook Pages)
- LinkedIn Pages
- Twitter users
- Instagram users (these mentions appear as plain text in Hootsuite but as live links when published)
Facebook and LinkedIn do not support mentions of Facebook profiles or LinkedIn profiles in third parties like Hootsuite.
Note: Mentions in posts sent to more than one social network only appear as hyperlinked mentions in the applicable social network. In the other social networks, mentions appear as plain text.
Mention a user or Page in a post
If you’ll be publishing your post to more than one social network and it includes a mention, the mention must be customized in each social network tab.
- In the post composer , enter @username in the Initial content area.
- Select a social network tab, select the mention, and then select the user or Page name from the list.
A mention becomes highlighted in blue when linked successfully. You’ll see a warning if any tabs contain an unlinked mention.
- In the Instagram tab, enter a user’s exact Instagram @username. Instagram mentions remain in plain text until the post is published.
- Finish creating your post, and then send, save, or schedule it.
For troubleshooting Facebook Page selection issues, see the Facebook help article My Page isn't appearing in Facebook search results.
Note: Overwriting your customizations from the Initial content tab resets any mentions selections. You will need to customize mentions again per social network.