Article updated: May 09, 2022
Create an Instagram post
You can create and publish Instagram posts from Composer. How you publish your posts depends on your Instagram profile type.
Instagram Business profiles: You can publish all posts directly to Instagram as long as your profile is connected to a Facebook Page. For more details, see Add an Instagram account.
Instagram Personal and Creator profiles: Instagram requires you to publish all posts manually using your mobile device. To learn how it works, see Finish publishing via mobile notification.
See also Create an Instagram story.
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already added an Instagram account to Hootsuite. To learn how, see Add an Instagram account.
Create your post
To get started, select Composer . Then follow the numbered steps in this example to create your post.
- Under Publish to, select an Instagram profile you want to publish to.
- In the Content area, enter your post caption, including up to 30 hashtags. (For hashtag best practices, see our Instagram hashtag guide.) Instagram doesn't support URLs. The character limit for Instagram captions is 2,200. To mention someone, enter @ followed by their exact username. Mentions remain in plain text until the post is published. To learn more, see Mention a user or Page.
Tip: To keep paragraph spacing when the post is published, remove spaces at the end of each line. These can often appear if you copy and paste text into the Content area.
- Below the Content area, select the smiley face to add emoji (see also Add more inclusive emoji).
- In the Media area, add up to 10 images or videos to your post.
Media upload options
- Drag and drop files from your computer into the Media area.
- Select the Select files to upload link.
- Select Open media library, and then select Free Images from the list. Select a media file, and then select Close media library.Notes:
- The maximum file size for images is 5MB, and maximum video length is 60 seconds.
- Instagram direct publishing requires that your photo have an aspect ratio between 1.91:1 and 4:5. Use the Instagram-specific square, landscape, or portrait crop options in the image editor to resize the image.
- Hootsuite does not support publishing IGTV videos.
- To edit an image, add filters, or make other adjustments, select Edit image. For detailed instructions on using the image editor, see Work with images.
- Publishing via mobile notification: You can select Add next to Notes for the publisher to enter instructions for the person who will be publishing the post on Instagram.
Here are some more things you can do with your post:
If your post contains a single image or video, select Promote this post under Promotion to boost your post on Instagram. Instagram doesn’t support boosting for posts with multiple media files. For more details, see Boost an Instagram post.
Select Select campaign to associate your post with one of your organization's campaigns. To find out more, see Create and manage content campaigns.
In the Media area, select Open media library, and then select Content Library Images from the list to select an image from your pre-approved media files.
Select Add next to Tags to apply tags to your posts and analyze their performance in Hootsuite Analytics. Select the tags to add to your post, and then select Add. To find out more, see Add tags to track your outbound posts.
Important: Tags are not applied to posts published via mobile notification. Apply tags to your posts from the "My posts" stream after publishing.
Preview and publish your post
When you’re finished creating your post, review it in the preview on the right to see how it will look. Hootsuite alerts you to any issues with your post. Then choose your publishing method from the following options:
- Publish directly to Instagram
Available only to Instagram Business profiles. Select Post now or Schedule to publish your post directly from Hootsuite.
Note: Instagram limits Business profiles to 25 posts in any rolling 24-hour period when using direct publishing from Hootsuite (or any other third-party publisher). To publish more than 25 posts in 24 hours, you can switch to publishing via mobile notification, or go to Instagram. Stories and mobile notification posts aren't included in the limit.
- Publish via mobile notification
Instagram requires that Personal and Creator profiles use this method for all posts. Business profiles can opt to publish this way to add final touches in Instagram such as filters or tags.
If push notifications for your account aren't set up, Hootsuite prompts you to do so. Select Post now or Schedule, and then go to Finish publishing via mobile notification for your final steps.
If you get the error "Your Instagram account requires a paired device," it means that no one has push notifications enabled in their Hootsuite app for the Instagram account you're sending content to. Enable Instagram publishing notifications, and then try again.
- If you're not ready to publish or schedule your post, select the arrow next to Post now, and then select Save draft.
Tip: Find and manage your drafts, published posts, and scheduled posts in Publisher .
If you want to create another post right away, you can also select one of the following options:
- Post and reuse accounts (or Schedule and reuse accounts) - Publish your current post and begin a new one to the same social accounts.
- Post and duplicate (or Schedule and duplicate) - Publish your current post and retain its content to create a new, similar post with a unique post ID.
With this publishing method, you get a push notification on your Hootsuite mobile app when it’s time to publish your post (either right away or at the scheduled time). All mobile devices that are set up to get notifications for that Instagram profile will get one. See Enable Instagram publishing notifications for more information.
Hootsuite sends your prepared post, including all media files, to your mobile device for you to publish via the Instagram app. Make sure Instagram has permission to access All Photos on your device.
Any team member with Hootsuite publishing permissions and Instagram login credentials for the profile can publish the post in Instagram from the notification.
- To open the notification in your Hootsuite mobile app, go to Streams , and then select Notifications .
- Select Publish in Instagram on the new publishing notification. If there are any notes for the publisher with the post, you can see them when the notification opens.
- Select Open to publish in Instagram. Your caption text is copied to your device clipboard and the Instagram app opens (you'll paste your caption into Instagram in step 6).If you get the error "Unable to publish to Instagram," check the Hootsuite app permissions in your device settings. Hootsuite needs access to All Photos.
Important: Hootsuite does not detect which Instagram profile is signed in to your Instagram app. If you publish to more than one Instagram profile, make sure you're signed in to the Instagram app with the same profile you selected in Hootsuite.
- In the Instagram app, select Create to create a new post. The first photo or video saved on your device is selected by default. If your post has multiple images or videos (carousel), press and hold one of the images in your camera roll to select them all.
- Select Next to edit, add filters, and make other adjustments to your media files, and then select Next.
- Select Write a caption, long press in the caption area, select Paste to paste in your caption, and then select OK.
- Optionally, select Tag People to tag other Instagram accounts in your post and Add Location to add a location.
- Select Share to publish your post.
The Notifications list tells you if a notification has already been opened by a team member. Opened by (name) means the post has already been opened in the Instagram app.
You can open the notification, select Opened by (name), and then either mark the post as not opened or open it in Instagram again.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help