Article updated: May 09, 2022
Create a Facebook post
You can create and publish Facebook Page or group content from Composer. To save time, you can publish to several Facebook accounts or social networks at once. Publish posts right away, or schedule them in advance for a specific day and time. Read on to learn about all you can do when creating Facebook posts in Hootsuite.
Note: Publishing to personal profiles is no longer supported. Due to changes by Facebook in 2018 aimed at protecting privacy, you can add personal Facebook profiles to Hootsuite, but their integration is read-only.
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already added a Facebook Page or group to Hootsuite. How to add a Facebook account.
Create your post
To get started, select Composer . Then follow the numbered steps in this example to create your post. Note that Hootsuite does not support creating event posts or polls.
- Under Publish to, select the Facebook Page or group you'd like to publish to.
- In the Content area, enter your post text. To mention a Page, enter @ followed by the Page name, and then select an option from the list.
- Above the Content area, the character count updates as you type. Facebook allows a maximum of 2,000 characters per post.
- In the Content area, type a link (optional). A link preview appears on the right. Can’t see a link preview? See Overview of link previews.
- Below the Content area, select the smiley face to add emoji (see also Add more inclusive emoji).
- To shorten a link, below the Content area, select Shorten with Ow.ly. The full links remain visible in the Content area, while the post preview on the right displays the shortened link.
- To add link tracking parameters, below the Content area, select Add tracking, select Ow.ly, and then select Custom. Enter your campaign name, type, and value, and then select Apply.
More about parameters
All plans can add custom link tracking parameters, designed to work with analytics systems. Parameters are tags that identify a link and the post that contains it. See Shorten and track links to learn more. Team, Business, and Enterprise customers can also set up a vanity URL to use as a link shortener instead of Ow.ly. To learn more, see Set up a vanity URL.
- In the Media area, add one or more images, a GIF, or a video to your post.
Media upload options
- Drag and drop files from your computer into the Media area.
- Select the Select files to upload link.
- Select Open media library, and then select Free Images or GIPHY from the drop-down. Select a media file, and then select Close media library.
Note: Uploading multiple images results in one post containing all the images. You can drag them within the list to reorder them in your posts.
Images are uploaded to Timeline Photos by default for Facebook Pages, and to Group Feed by default for Facebook groups. Select the default album under your attached media to select a different existing album to upload the images to. New albums need to be created in Facebook and then you can publish to them from Hootsuite.
- To edit an image, add filters, or make other adjustments, select Edit image. For detailed instruction on using the image editor, see Work with images.
- To edit alt text (descriptive text for your image), select Edit alt text. Enter the alt text description of the image, and then select Apply. The character limit for Facebook is 500 characters.
When you create your post, you can also take advantage of additional options, such as promoting your post or selecting the specific audience who can see your post.
If you are uploading a video, you can select Edit video details to:
- Edit a video thumbnail. Select a thumbnail preview, or select Add a new thumbnail to upload your own.
- Enter a video title that is visible when the video is selected for viewing.
- Add captions to your videos. Drag and drop .srt files from your computer into the Subtitles area or select the select an .srt file to upload link to upload your SubRip Subtitle file (SRT file). Select Apply. One SRT file can be uploaded per post. To upload successfully, SRT file names must have the following format: filename.[language code]_[country code].srt. Language codes are two lowercase letters and country codes are two uppercase letters. Example: hypevideo.es_ES.srt. Refer to the Facebook list of valid language and country codes.
Tip: If you need to publish your subtitles in multiple languages, use the Schedule and duplicate (or Post and duplicate) option to build the post again with a different SRT file.
Select Promote this post under Promotion to boost your post on Facebook. For more details, see Boost a Facebook post.
Select Add next to Facebook target audience to select who you’d like to see your post. Select age, country, region, city, ZIP, and postal codes, and then select Add.
Select your organization, and then select Select campaign to associate your post with a current or future campaign. To learn more, see Create and manage content campaigns.
In the Media area, select Open media library, and then select Content Library Images from the drop-down to select an image from your pre-approved media files.
Select Add next to Tags to apply tags to your posts and analyze their performance in Hootsuite Analytics. Select the tags to add to your post, and then select Add. To find out more, see Add tags to track your outbound posts.
When you’re finished creating your post, review it in the preview on the right to see how it will look on your Facebook Page or group. You'll be alerted to any issues with your post. Then select from the following options in the bottom right:
- Post now - Publish the post right away.
- Schedule for later - Select a date and time to publish the post, or select a day and choose from any recommended times available (see Schedule posts at recommended times). Select Done, and then select Schedule.
- Save draft - Select the arrow next to Post now, and then select Save draft if you’re not ready to publish or schedule your post.
Tip: Find and manage your drafts, published posts, and scheduled posts in Publisher .
If you want to create another post right away, select the arrow next to Post now (or Schedule), and then select one of the following options:
- Post and reuse accounts (or Schedule and reuse accounts) - Publish your current post and begin a new one to the same social accounts.
- Post and duplicate (or Schedule and duplicate) - Publish your current post and retain its content to create a new, similar post with a unique post ID. Promoted ad spend is not retained for the new post.
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help