Article updated: December 01, 2023
Create a Facebook post
Create and publish posts to your Facebook Pages and accounts. To save time, you can publish to several Facebook accounts or social networks at once. You can choose to publish posts right away, or schedule them in advance for a specific day and time.
Create your post
Hootsuite doesn't support creating event posts or polls.
- You can start your post from Composer or Planner. Select one of the following options:
- Select Composer, and then select Post.
- Go to your content calendar in Planner , select the week view , select a time or recommended time to schedule your post, and then select Post. Learn about scheduling posts in a content calendar.
- Select the Facebook account you'd like to publish to.
To protect user privacy, Facebook does not allow you to publish to personal profiles from Hootsuite.
- Create your post. The character limit for Facebook is 2,000. You can use all of the following in your post:
- Links - Enter or paste a link in your post to drive traffic to your website, blog, or product. You can shorten your links in Hootsuite for a tidier look, and add tracking parameters so you can see how much web traffic comes from those links. Learn how to shorten and track links.
- Mentions of a user or Page - Enter @username in your post to invite others on social to join a conversation, and help your post reach their audience as well as your own. Read more about mentions.
- Hashtags - Enter your own hashtags or select AI hashtag suggestions to find hashtags that work with your post text and media. Read our guide to using hashtags on every network.
- Emoji - Select the smiley face to add emoji.
- To add one or more images, a GIF, or a video to your post, drag files from your computer into the Content area. You can also design images with Canva (see Design visuals with Canva for help), or add media from a Media library .
Work with images
Point to an image and select Alt to add alt text to your image. The limit for alt text in Facebook is 500 characters. Select Edit image to crop, add filters, or make other adjustments to the image. Find out how to customize your images in Hootsuite.
Note: When uploading images, it's important to note the following:
Work with videos
- Adding multiple images results in one post with all of the images. You can drag the images to reorder them in your post.
- Unless you choose an existing album, your images will be added to Timeline Photos for Facebook Pages.
- When adding images to albums, your content tags will not appear in Streams or the Post performance report in Analytics. It's recommended you not add images to albums when using content tags to track performance.
To add captions or a custom cover to a video, point to it and select Video settings. You can do the following in video settings:
- View the video file's properties.
- Customize the video title for Page posts.
- Customize the cover image for Page posts. Select one of the options provided, or select Add custom cover to add your own.
- Add captions to your videos. Drag a SubRip Subtitle file (SRT file) from your computer into the Subtitles area or choose Upload an SRT file. One file can be uploaded per post. SRT file names must have the following format: filename.[language code]_[country code].srt. Language codes are two lowercase letters and country codes are two uppercase letters. Example: hypevideo.es_ES.srt. Refer to the Facebook list of valid language and country codes.
Tip: Need to publish subtitles in multiple languages? No problem. Duplicate the post and add a different SRT file.
When you create your post, you can take advantage of additional options, such as promoting your post or selecting the specific audience who can see your post.
- Promote a post - Select Promote this post under Promotion to boost your post on Facebook. For more details, see Boost a Facebook post.
- Specify targeting for a Facebook post - Select Add next to Facebook target audience to select who you’d like to see your post. Select age, country, region, city, ZIP, and postal codes, and then select Add.
- Specify a campaign(Business and Enterprise plans) - Select your organization, and then select Campaign to associate your post with a current or future campaign. To learn more, see Create and manage content campaigns.
- Upload images from your content library(Business and Enterprise plans) - In the Content area, select Media library , and then select Content Library Images to select an image from your pre-approved media files.
- Ask for a review (Business and Enterprise plans) - Invite a team member to review and approve your posts before they go live. Select a team member from the Ask for approval list to help make sure your post is on-brand and polished before you publish it. Learn more about asking a team member to approve your post.
- Apply a tag(Business and Enterprise plans) - Select Add next to Tags to apply tags to your posts and analyze their performance in Hootsuite Analytics. Select the tags to add to your post, and then select Add. To find out more, see Tag posts and messages.
When you’re finished creating your post, take a look at the preview on the right to see how it will look on Facebook. You'll be alerted if there are any issues. Save a draft of your post if you're not ready to publish or schedule it. Otherwise, select a Post now or Schedule for later option.
Want to know more about scheduling posts? See Schedule a post. You can find and manage your drafts, published posts, and scheduled posts in a calendar view in Planner .
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help