Create a Facebook post
You can create, publish, and manage your Facebook Page or group content with Hootsuite. When you create a post, you can:
- Attach images, GIFs, and videos
- Edit and apply filters to your images
- Specify the audience who can view your content
- Choose whether to publish your post right away or to schedule it for a specific day and time
- Promote your Facebook post to reach a wider audience
Before you begin
Make sure you’ve already added a Facebook Page or group to Hootsuite. To learn more, see Add a Facebook account.
Create a Facebook post
To get started, select Create new post . Then follow the numbered steps in this example to create your post.
- Under Post to, select the Facebook Page or group you'd like to publish to.
- In the Text area, enter your post text. To mention a Page, enter @ followed by the Page name, and then select an option from the list.
- Above the Text area, the character count updates as you type. Facebook allows a maximum of 2,000 characters per post.
- In the Text area, type a link (optional). A link preview appears on the right. Can’t see a link preview? See Overview of link previews.
- Below the Text area, select the smiley face to add emoji (see also Add more inclusive emoji).
- To shorten a link, below the Text area, select Shorten with Ow.ly. The full links remain visible in the Text area, while the post preview on the right displays the shortened link.
- To add link tracking parameters, below the Text area, select Add tracking, select Ow.ly, and then select Custom. Enter your campaign name, type, and value, and then select Apply.
More about parameters
All plans can add custom link tracking parameters, designed to work with analytics systems. Parameters are tags that identify a link and the post that contains it. See Apply link settings to learn more. Team, Business, and Enterprise customers can also set up a vanity URL to use as a link shortener instead of ow.ly. To learn more, see Add, share, or delete a vanity URL.
- In the Media area, add one or more images, a GIF, or a video to your post.
Media upload options
- Drag and drop files from your computer into the Media area.
- Select the Select files to upload link.
- Select Open media library, and then select Free Images or GIPHY from the drop-down. Select a media file, and then select Close media library.
Note: Uploading multiple images results in one post containing all the images. You can drag them within the list to reorder them in your posts.
Images are uploaded to Timeline Photos by default for Facebook Pages, and to Group Feed by default for Facebook groups. Select the default album under your attached media to select a different existing album to upload the images to. New albums need to be created in Facebook and then you can publish to them from Hootsuite.
- To edit an image, add filters, or make other adjustments, select Edit image. For detailed instruction on using the image editor, see Work with images.
- To edit alt text (descriptive text for your image), select Edit alt text. Enter the alt text description of the image, and then select Apply. The character limit for Facebook is 500 characters.
When you create your post, you can also take advantage of additional options, such as promoting your post or selecting the specific audience who can see your post.
If you are uploading a video, you can select Edit video details to:
- Edit a video thumbnail. Select a thumbnail preview, or select Add a new thumbnail to upload your own.
- Enter a video title that is visible when the video is selected for viewing.
- Add captions to your videos. Drag and drop .srt files from your computer into the Subtitles area or select the select an .srt file to upload link to upload your SubRip Subtitle file (SRT file). Select Apply. One SRT file can be uploaded per post. To upload successfully, SRT file names must have the following format: filename.[language code]_[country code].srt. Language codes are two lowercase letters and country codes are two uppercase letters. Example: hypevideo.es_ES.srt. Refer to the Facebook list of valid language and country codes.
Tip: If you need to publish your subtitles in multiple languages, use the Schedule and duplicate (or Post and duplicate) option to build the post again with a different SRT file.
Select Promote this post under Promotion to boost your post on Facebook. To learn more, see Boost a Facebook Page post.
Select Add next to Facebook Audience Restrictions to select who you’d like to see your post. Select age, country, region, city, ZIP, and postal codes, and then select Apply.
Select your organization, and then select Select campaign to associate your post with a current or future campaign. To learn more, see Create and manage content campaigns.
In the Media area, select Open media library, and then select Content Library Images from the drop-down to select an image from your pre-approved media files.
Select Add next to Tags to apply tags to your posts and analyze their performance in Hootsuite Analytics. Select the tags to add to your post, and then select Apply. To learn more, see Add tags to track your outbound posts.
When you’re finished creating your post, review it in the preview on the right to see how it will look on your Facebook Page or group. You'll be alerted to any issues with your post. To learn more, see Preview a post.
- To publish the post right away, select Post now in the bottom right. If your message is published successfully, Hootsuite displays a confirmation message at the top of the screen.
- To schedule your post, select Schedule for later in the bottom right, and then select a date and time to publish the post. Select Done, and then select Schedule.
If you want to create, publish, or schedule another post, select the arrow next to Post now (or Schedule), and then select one of the following options:
- Select Post and reuse accounts (or Schedule and reuse accounts) if you want to publish or schedule your post and create another one immediately after. All fields are reset except the selected Facebook Pages or groups for you to begin creating your next post.
- Select Post and duplicate (or Schedule and duplicate) if you want to publish or schedule your post and then retain it to edit and create a new, similar post, with a unique post ID. All elements of the previous post are retained, except promoted ad spend.
Note: Professional, Team, Business, and Enterprise customers can also set posts to automatically publish when there are gaps in your scheduled content. See Automatically schedule a post.
For more information on how to schedule your content, see Schedule a post.