Article updated: October 31, 2023
Manage your Google Business listings
Manage your Google Business listings alongside your social activity with the free Google My Business app. Make updates to your business location, monitor and engage with reviews, and respond to questions from customers in Hootsuite streams.
Google displays a business profile when someone searches for it in Google Search and Google Maps. The listing can include a description, address, opening hours, posts, reviews, website, and FAQ.
Before you begin
Before installing the app, your Google Business Profile must be claimed and verified with Google. Learn about how to verify your business on Google.
See How to use Google My Business to get more customers and How to create the best Google business posts. Visit the Hootsuite blog for news, tips, tools, and tactics to help you succeed on social media.
Updates to business listings, such as address and hours of operation, must be made on the Google Business site.
Install the Google My Business (GMB) app
- Go to My profile, and then select Install Hootsuite apps.
- In the top right, search for Google My Business.
- Select Install.
- Select from one of the following options:
- Add streams to a new tab.
- Add streams to an existing tab, and then select the tab name from the list.
- Select Finish. The selected streams are added to Streams.
- Go to Streams , and then select Login to Google My Business in each stream.
- Select the Google account that owns the listing you want to manage, enter your password, and then select Next.
- Select Allow to authorize the app connection.
- Select the listings and locations to display in the stream, and then select Confirm.
Hootsuite displays unverified listings here as well. You must verify them in GMB in order to manage them through the GMB app in Hootsuite. Select the link next to an unverified listing to find out how to verify it.
Add more app streams
Once the GMB app is installed, you can add multiple app streams for managing different locations or listings in separate streams.
- Go to Streams , and then select the board to host the stream.
- Select Add stream at the top of the board.
- Select Apps from the list on the left.
- Select the Google My Business stream type you want to add (Posts, Questions, or Reviews).
- When you're finished adding streams, close the Add Stream window.
Publish a post
You can create and publish posts to your business listings to provide updates on what’s new with your business. Posts remain live in searches for seven days. Posts older than seven days are only visible to the business owner. If your business is not verified yet, the published post is only visible to you. You cannot currently schedule posts to GMB.
- Go to Streams , and then select New Post.
- Select the listing to post to.
- Type the body of the post and optionally, include text and links. Posts have a limit of 1,500 characters, Google recommends between 150 and 300 characters.
- Attach an image to the post. You can select an image from Google Drive or Google Photos.
Image dimensions must be between 400x300 - 10,000x10,000 pixels, and image size between 10KB and 25MB.
- Optionally, select a call to action from the list and enter a destination link for the button.
- Select Post Now.
Respond to a review
Customer reviews, and your replies, are publicly visible on your Google Business Profile.
- Go to Streams .
- In the Reviews stream, monitor what customers are saying about your business.
- Select Reply below a review, and enter your response.
- Select Post reply.
Select edit (pencil) or delete (trash bin) on your response in the stream to make changes at any time.
Answer a question
Customer questions, and your replies, are publicly visible on your Google Business Profile. Other Google users can answer questions about your business, but your answers will be labeled as being from the owner of the business.
- Go to Streams .
- In the Questions stream, select Answer below a question to provide an official response from the business.
- Enter your answer, and then select Post answer.
Select edit or delete on your answer in the stream to make changes at any time.
Manage locations within a stream
Update the locations that are displayed and managed within one stream.
- Go to Streams .
- In any GMB stream, select Settings in the top right.
- Select Manage Locations, and then select or deselect the locations you want to manage in that stream.
- Select Confirm. The stream refreshes with the relevant locations, posts, reviews, or questions.
If you experience issues publishing or working with the Google My Business app, try the following:
Can't find what you're looking for? We're here to help